you guys ever learn forms outside of taekwondo?

I also cross train bjj and our gym has a solo flow drill that we do everyday as a warm up that is in every aspect a bjj kata and I find it hilarious that my coach agrees its just a school specific kata, but the other bjj bros get mad when I call it a kata.
Chain some of these together and you've got a nice solo BJJ kata:
 
I also cross train bjj and our gym has a solo flow drill that we do everyday as a warm up that is in every aspect a bjj kata and I find it hilarious that my coach agrees its just a school specific kata, but the other bjj bros get mad when I call it a kata.
In that case, we basically have 3 katas in my gym. The first is our shuffle warmups, the second is our standard exercises, and the third is the mobility drills in the adult class. Each of these things is done basically the same 80% of the time.

I should start calling these katas just to get the other folks mad.

It was funny yesterday. My Professor said the new gym rule is that everyone has to do warmups "unless you have at least a 4-stripe black belt". I reminded him that I have a 4-stripe black belt, just not in BJJ. He didn't like that answer very much.
 
hi, newbie here. decided to make my first thread about something i was thinking about.

im currently only doing taekwondo right now due to scheduling reasons, and i decided to take a crack at learn some karate kata (tekki shodan/naihanchi, sanchin) as supplementary exercises for taekwondo poomsae. you guys ever try to learn forms outside of your tkd style's curriculum (if you dont crosstrain), or do you just stick with what you got?
Those would be Chul-Gi in Taekwondo, which were used in the 40s-50s kwan era. You can still find them in Tang Soo Do and offshoots of GM Son's WTA and other Chung Do Kwan lineage schools.
 
Those would be Chul-Gi in Taekwondo, which were used in the 40s-50s kwan era. You can still find them in Tang Soo Do and offshoots of GM Son's WTA and other Chung Do Kwan lineage schools.
Yep, my dojang is CDK and we do the Kukkiwon curriculum in addition to the old CDK curriculum. So we still do Chulgi, palsek, yumbi, kwongong (kanku dai) and I personally still do pyung ahn hyung but they aren't required for rank.
 
Here's the thing though - if you're not actually training karate, you might just end up memorizing sequences without the context for why they work, and the transfer to your poomsae might not be as clean as youre hoping
 
Here's the thing though - if you're not actually training karate, you might just end up memorizing sequences without the context for why they work, and the transfer to your poomsae might not be as clean as youre hoping
Which I'd argue is perfect for how TKD does things :P
 
Back
Top