What Forms Poomse Hyung do you do

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do the three Kichos, then Palgwes 1 through 8, Koryo and several other BB poomsae for Dan, and as a special treat, my instructor will teach you the Pinans if you ask nicely :wink1:.

My own feeling is, I'd rather learn a very few hyungs really well (i.e., understand the bunkai/oyo in depth, training those apps in combat-based sparring). It's well known that the old Okinawan karateka used to train only a few kata—which were regarded not as part of a single MA, but as actual MA styles themselves; so the Pinans constituted a martial art unto themselves, Naihanchi (which Gichin Funakoshi studied for nine years as his main training in karate) a different art, and so on). I think there's enough depth in many of the TKD hyungs that one could do the same thing with two or three well chosen ones. The relatively huge number that people currently learn is probably more connected to the multiplication of belt ranks and the need to have a separate criterion for advancement to each of the belt levels—so hyung performance is recruited to fulfil this role...

Tae Kwon Dave

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What Forms Poomse Hyung do you do? We started with Kichos and Palgwes, added the old Pyungs, now Taegeuks plus advanced forms-yikes! makes my head spin!! How 'bout y'all?

In my dojang, Mudokwan Tae Kwon Do, we study :

1. Tae Kwon Do official W.T.F. Poomse (Taegeuk Poomse and Yudanja Poomse : koryo, keumgang, etc.)

2. Korean Karate hyungs : kibon hyung 1-3, pyung ahn 1-5, chul-ki/naihanchi 1-3, kongsangkoon dae and cho, palsek dae and cho, rohai 1-2-3, etc...

Tswolfman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Required for my students

1. Kicho's 1-3
2. Chun gi
3. Palgae 1-8
4. Taegae 1-8
5. Chun mu
6. Bassai
7. Rohai
8. Empi
9. Chul gi 1-3 (nihachi or Ironhorse 1-3)
10. Koryo , Kuemgang, Taebeak, Pyoungwon ........

Extra Credit forms
1. Pyoung-ahn 1-5
2. Remaining ITF Forms
3. any other Shotokan Kata
me presonally i train my self in all of the above forms and others as i cross train in other arts also. Althouh i find this is too many forms i do find Value in each and every form so i cringe to take any out of my students curriculum

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kibbon, Taeguks, Palgues, Black belt forms (Koryo, Taebek)

Me too, all those forms including Kum Gang. Poomse training, good stuff. Many TKD practitioners I meet, especially the younger ones don't like to practice their forms. They think it's boring. Poomse, in addition to kyurooki are my own favorite parts of Taekwondo.:ultracool

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i know some forms of WTF and ITF (for tournaments) and TSD.

TheTraveleress

White Belt
Reaction score
Holy cow rmclain, that's is a lot o forms!! I thought we had a bunch. In addition to the others I listed, we added 3 in with the pyung ahns-nohei, naihanchi-1, and shipsoo. At first dan we use the WTF series starting with Koryo and add Bassai, at 2nd D Keumgang and Yum Bi (reference En Pi) 3rd D Taebeck, 4th D Pyongwon and the rest of the WTF series Sipjin, Jitae, Chonkwon, Hansu and Ilyeo down the line totaling only 38, but that's plenty for me now! Some of us also take the initiative and learn other forms as we wish.

I found it interesting that people are mixing the ITF forms with the taegeuks, much more common than I would have thought. I will probably go senile before I run out of forms to learn, thanks to all you contributors!!!
can you tell me more about yumbi? That is one of my forms and I cannot find any history other than the one time I found it referenced as enpi from karate but I cant find that again either! I am looking for meaning, is this the correct spelling, history etc

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you tell me more about yumbi? That is one of my forms and I cannot find any history other than the one time I found it referenced as enpi from karate but I cant find that again either! I am looking for meaning, is this the correct spelling, history etc
You're replying to a post from 18 years ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer.
And you won't find a "correct" spelling. Because while there are commonly accepted spellings for a lot of things, it is not possible to directly translate spellings from Korean, Japanese, or Chinese into English.

Latest Discussions