Tattoos and the martial arts ...

atinsley

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nothing MA related yet.

I currently have my oldest daughters name on my left bicep along with Celtic knotwork that goes all the way around the arm.

The next one was going to be an MA related design, but per my youngest daugther, it has to be the design I did with her name for my right arm. So, the MA tat will have to wait :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My "USMC" tattoo on my left forearm is exactly the same as my father's was. If there are people who view it or me negatively when they see it, that is entirely their problem. In addition to being an intensely personal choice, one can also consider it fair warning - once a Marine, always a Marine. Inform me of your disapproval of my tattoo at your own peril.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
267755960_6850d89583.jpg
267755958_6d9b846d5c.jpg

I'm adding 3 more rows, eventually...

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
None yet, but I have one designed that it basically a blue wave of water with a tiger and wolf drawn in fighting one another.

Blue wave is the symbol of Chung Do Kwan.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have tattoos , but I've just had a random thought .
If it is popular for western people to have asian language character tattoos , would it follow that in asian countries it would also be popular for asian people to have tattoos in English characters ?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
no, it's just popular for them to drink coca-cola & wear blue jeans.

coke tastes good, blue jeans look cool, & so do asian symbols.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have tattoos , but I've just had a random thought .
If it is popular for western people to have asian language character tattoos , would it follow that in asian countries it would also be popular for asian people to have tattoos in English characters ?

Not that I'm aware of, but there was huge popularity in t-shirts and advertisements that had English characters on them when I was in Okinawa years ago. Real words, but they didn't form sentences that made any sense. I was told that nobody cared - they just liked the shape of the letters. I remember a Coca-Cola advertising poster that was popular: "Yes, Coke, Yes." Another said: "Peace it is the feeling of happiness."

You can waste some time here:

www.engrish.com

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Arts tattoo? Sure, the only one that matters:

U.S.M.C.

Universally recognized and feared throughout the world.

Unitied Supreme Martial-Arts Council? ;)

My "USMC" tattoo on my left forearm is exactly the same as my father's was. If there are people who view it or me negatively when they see it, that is entirely their problem. In addition to being an intensely personal choice, one can also consider it fair warning - once a Marine, always a Marine. Inform me of your disapproval of my tattoo at your own peril.

Oh I get it know. United States Marine Corp :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have none. And being in a traditional Japanese art, I am not sure it would be appreciated. In Japan, criminals have tattoos. I was told that in Sumo, you can't even have tattoos if you want to make it to high level league. If you do, you need surgery / laser therapy / skin grafts to remove them before you are allowed to have a 'career' in sumo.

I've thought about tattoos more than once, because some are cool. But I've never found anything that I would want on my body for the rest of my life.

Indeed. Many koryu will not accept a member if he or she has tattoos. At the very least, they must be concealed during practice.

For the rare school of Koryu in the West, it may be that they are less strict, as tattoos aren't assiciated with criminal tendencies. I know people with tattoos done for religious reasons (runes, etc). Whether a koryu in Japan would accept a foreigner with a tattoo done for religious reasons I have no idea.

Best regards,

-Mark

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have an abstract dragon in black on my shoulder. Got it done after my 1st dan test. Anytime I encounter something that I think I cannot do, I just look at the dragon, and go for it!

jeff5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any. And honestly not sure if I'd ever get one associated with any particular art. I really never felt strongly about anything enough to get it tattoed to my body.

nwalker

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have tattoos, none of which are MA related. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with tattoos but I do understand how some cultures have other views. I plan on getting one to mark my 1st dan, but until then.... I will just wait.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've considered having the word BLAM!!! from the old batman TV series tattooed on the bottom of my foot, and KERPLOW!!! across my knuckles.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No MA tattoos, but when I first went into the Navy at 18 yrs old, I had Mom with a heart on my left arm, and on the other arm, USN.