Tattoos and the martial arts ...

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The generation gap could certainly be a cause... not much is left out of discussions now-a-days... good, bad, or indifferent...

Personally, I ask to know who the top local Artist to see is... what shops are good in the area... and (being newer to NC) what the Market runs for stuff here... doing so has educated me to the point that I now know that my next ink will be done in the next few weeks by Josh at Tattoo Asylum here in Durham. His renderings of peoples concepts is amazing. And, without asking people about their in, I might have landed elsewhere...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could be. Could also be a generational thing. I know that I was brought up to believe that talking about salaries and money was rude, but I've been informed that Gen Y'ers have no problem at all discussing how much they're paid. Could be as tattoos become more mainstream, too, the culture around them is changing.
Could be a generational thing I guess. As for salaries ours are public record and every year the city paper lists each of our salaries in the paper to show how over paid we are. So no hiding it.

But, really, what's the point of asking? It's an original piece of art. As I asked before, would you go into a friend's house and say, "Hey, that's a killer, original painting. How much did you pay for it?" Why would the price matter to you? Are you curious about whether your friend got a good deal? Other than that, what are you hoping to learn?
I dont ask to know what he paid to be nosey Im more looking at the prices of the place Im always looking for a new tat and am always trying to compare prices. When I ask what they paid I never reall ask about the tattoo I normally say something like "Hey nice tat where did you get it" They tell me then I say something like" What do they charge per hour or do they just give you a flat price per tat"

Dan Hobson

White Belt
Reaction score
I would really love to get this: the Yin Yang symbol (in colour) but one side will be fire and the other will be water. I will have a really realistic (probably black/grey/white) dragon breathing the fire. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My next is similar in spirit to the yin/yang. I'd like to get two tattoos, one of the Oak King and one of the Holly King. I have always loved that story and appreciate the symbolism. Plus, I think that the art could be badass if done right. :)

gardawamtu1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't that offended in the story I posted above. I'd just rather not be asked about the cost, even though I get that question a lot. I was just puzzled by the awkward small talk. I think the intention was to put me at ease, not the opposite. I learned a lot from him in the four hours we were there.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have Taekwondo in Korean Hangul Tattoo'd on my left bicep, it looks pretty cool. I'm thinking of getting another but right now i'm unsure what to go with.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
nope and will provably never have any...

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
So far up to 9 and counting and all of them hold personal meaning, I've never just selected one out of a book and I have no intention to. Out of the 9, I'd say 2 are directly MA related with a third having various meanings. I've got a pouncing tiger on my right arm with the nin kanji because I love tigers, love all the various meanings of the "nin" kanji and the attacking attitude is one I strive for in order to be a better martial artist. I've also got the kanji for the 5 elements (earth, water, fire, wind and void) in and around a Senban shuriken on the same arm. I recently got a cobra which wraps around my right leg (from shin down to the top of the foot) to cover a series of scars I had from a motorbike accident a few years ago. The cobra is seen as a symbol of wisdom, transformation and healing in Eastern cultures especially and is often associated with guardians or protectors which is something I find to be a noble aspiration. Depending on which of my friends you ask though, it's simply a sign that I've secretly run off and joined the "Cobra-Kai" :duh:

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The generation gap could certainly be a cause... not much is left out of discussions now-a-days... good, bad, or indifferent...

Personally, I ask to know who the top local Artist to see is... what shops are good in the area... and (being newer to NC) what the Market runs for stuff here... doing so has educated me to the point that I now know that my next ink will be done in the next few weeks by Josh at Tattoo Asylum here in Durham. His renderings of peoples concepts is amazing. And, without asking people about their in, I might have landed elsewhere...
Oh....I was gonna say probably cause you dont live in @#*$#ville......but I guess generation gap would be a better reason.
:ultracool

Latest Discussions