Tattoos and the martial arts ...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah, I have much love and respect for the other branches of the US Armed Forces. And some of them are very tough customers!

It's just that the Marines are a whole 'nother animal. We think we're that good because we are that good.

Everyone knows the Air Force does all the real heavy lifting these days. :)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, i got into the whole tiger/dragon symbology from American Kenpo, so I have chinese character for tiger on one pec, someday, I might get the dragon on the other side.

My next tat will be my schools logo, and someday, when i make BB in kaju, i will be getting the kaju symbol somewhere.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
nope, hate needles! but then for the same reason I do not wear martial arts logo clothing as well.. seems like a bad idea, if i need it, the fact that I train in MA should be a nasty surprise!!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two, they are martial arts related. The thing about tattoos is they're for life, so you better make sure you get something that has significance for you and you get a good artist.

I didn't get my first tat until I was 38, got the second one a couple years later.

My first tat is on my lower back and it's an asian style tiger climbing up my spine with the Chinese characters for courage. (yes, I checked and triple checked to make sure the characters were right) Aside from the fact that I just plain ol love tigers, the tiger symbolizes courage in Chinese culture. I've had a pretty rough life and it is a symbol to remind me to stay strong. The tiger form was also my favorite when I was training Sil Lum. :D

My second tat is an asian dragon armband on my right arm. I was born in the year of the dragon. Eastern dragons symbolize peace, benevolence, wisdom, and are considered lucky. It's also red, for luck.

Both my tats are custom, no flash. No stenciling either, they were both freehanded directly on me by a superior artist.

Because they are significant to me and I got them for specific reasons (not just because "I want a tattoo, they're cool") and they are designs no one else will ever have, I will never regret them.

Attachments

• $tiger tat.jpg
    $tiger tat.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 228
  • $tat.jpg
    $tat.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 228
  • $dragon tat sidearm.jpg
    $dragon tat sidearm.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 239
  • $dragon tat underarm.jpg
    $dragon tat underarm.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 216

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My right arm is a Dragon coming through clouds & lighting. My left arm has an eagle & snake in battle , a Foo dog face on the elbow , a tiger covers the forearm . as well as a tribal tiger & dragon on my back.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kanji on the inside of my forearm, says Yudansha.
Got it when I received my Black Belt.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I was 16/17 years old I was planning on getting a tattoo of Mr T with "I pity the fool" written underneath on my shoulder. Now that I am 29 years old I am very grateful that I was to lazy/busy getting drunk and partying to get it done! That awareness makes me reluctant to get any tattoo now for fear of what the 49 year old me will think of it!

I might have one done as a momento when I get my black belt! It wont be Mr T though! :)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Can't thnik of anything right now that I *KNOW* I'll want permanently on my skin.

For awhile there, I thought about getting my "bullseye" ( You can see it in my avatar, my old MA State Guard unit insignia when there still was a MA State Guard, that was ours from 1917-till we got scrubbed by our current apology for a governor) thought about getting it on my left shoulder in the same place it was on my uniform.

Kinda torn about that though now.

On the one hand, yes, we were basically the closest thing to a last direct link to the Minutemen, and no one can take that from any of us.

On the other, between the fact I'm moving to TX next year and the way the ball was played with us politically, maybe not.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had thought about it a long while back, but I came to the conclusion that people with tatoos really do not care whether or not I have one, but people without tatoos are sometimes judgemental about those who do have them, sometimes being afraid of them if they are not military service related (such as a Army/Navy/USAF/USMC tatoo). I can get along equally well with the biker crowd and the office crowd and being inkless does not mark me as being part of any particular group.

Now on a personal level, I like tatoos. I draw and paint and can appreciate the artistry that goes into a good tatoo.

Daniel

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a few, I'll have a few more before someone pats me in the face with a shovel heh.

First one is Songahm Taekwondo in Hangul on my right tricep. I got it with four friends of mine, we all have 15-25 years in and no plans on stopping. Second is 'Discipline' also in Hangul on my left thigh, then Destruction on my right. My legs are either the discipline of destruction or the destruction of discipline.. you pick ;).

I thought about getting on my shin... 'things maybe be closer than they appear' heh. But yeah, not so much.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kind of interesting that in a thread about "who has a tatoo" some folks felt it necessary to voice their "very negative" attitudes regarding tatoos.
Seems to me that to have or have not is a personal statement, and no one really cares wether I have one or not. That would be... Even though some of them as described here sound very cool, indeed.

Oh, and just so ya don't think I'm just cruisin' (as if anyone cares that much)... I got my first tatoo last year for my 60th B'day. :angel:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought about getting on my shin... 'things maybe be closer than they appear' heh. But yeah, not so much.

Shins are tender. I've got a yin/yang on my lower leg above my ankle. Part of it gets close to my shin & ankle joint where there's very little muscle between bone & skin. Lemme tell you (I'm not too proud) I got a case of the crawls & watery eyes when he was working near the bone.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of interesting that in a thread about "who has a tatoo" some folks felt it necessary to voice their "very negative" attitudes regarding tatoos.
Seems to me that to have or have not is a personal statement, and no one really cares wether I have one or not. That would be... Even though some of them as described here sound very cool, indeed.

Oh, and just so ya don't think I'm just cruisin' (as if anyone cares that much)... I got my first tatoo last year for my 60th B'day. :angel:

You'd be surprised at how many people feel the necessity to talk poorly about tats & the people that sport them or lump us into a certain group because of it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually that is probably the only reason that I do not have one.

Daniel

And that'd be a fair & valid reason not to.

But without knowing us, how can the people that do that be justified in their "holier than thou" position?

I want at least one or two more... but only when the economy says it's feasible.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I view tattoos as works of art and the body the canvas. Yes, there are lots of ****** stupid tattoos out there, but mine have meaning to me and I'll never regret them.

Remember, art is subjective and what one person finds appealing another may not. I like realism in art, others like abstract. Just because I don't care for abstract art doesn't make abstracts any less artistic, nor the people who like abstract art any less an art lover.

That's the best analogy I can come up with at the moment. If you don't like tattoos, don't get one. Leave those of us who do our own opinions and don't judge others lest ye be judged.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have one, but would get one if I had the right design in mind and knew of a really top notch artist. I used to think about getting a tattoo of the "Yes" logo, because I love the band and it's just a simple, positive word. And the logo looks awesome ;) But none for me so far.

Latest Discussions