• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many street fights have you been in? No stories please. Just say if you have been in a street fight and you may answer also with one of the poll answers.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many street fights have you been in? No stories please. Just say if you have been in a street fight and you may answer also with one of the poll answers.
No poll...

Been in a few real fights. Not a lot -- but several.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sure dose

playgrounds (as an adult)
ally ways
parks
parking lots
etc.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too mnay a long time ago, youth had it downside for me. I was always small and felt I needed to prove myself and fighting was that for me. Now I am older and wiser.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll say to many for me also. Youth did have it's interesting points in my learning .
A few encounters as an adult in a bad area of the city also but remember NO stories here

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to remember... For some of us, it's an occupational hazard!

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How true and I do appreciate what you do
Had not thought of that aspect when I asked the question

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
...do avenues, lanes, boulevards, and drives count as well? How about on a dirt road fight? Does it have to be paved?

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol
any of the above are good

heck i'll even accept the beach

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How true and I do appreciate what you do
Had not thought of that aspect when I asked the question
Personally, I'm happier with the times I DIDN'T fight... because I prevented it from happening.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only the one time my diplomatic and observational/evasion skills deserted me. Hopefully there'll never be another occasion (plus, given my duff 'wing', it'd have to be armed and I definitely don't want that on my concsience).

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not including the altercations in Iraq during TCP's, a few.

As an aside, for those that have been in street fights, were any with other martial artists?

There is this nearly subconsious idea that if we have to use our skills "for real" it will be against an untrained opponet. How often is this not the case?

Mark

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
few are trained in the dark arts....Hehe just kidding...-
actually, i just thought about that today. i was thinking, that i often think about getting in fights with someone that knows some martial arts(kindof happened when i had some sparring competition with a very good wrestler), but what if i meet a really good martial artist and we have some disaggreements..

one thing is that really good martial artists are often smart people that dont get into fights that easily. unless they are a little crazy like myself and lacking some braincells. bottom line is that all people, especially violent offenders, know some martial arts..
also, people that are really secure and truly spiritually(psychologically) strong individuals also are not really that aggressive. people with problems and issues can be. but for physical violence, anyone can be destructive and dangerous in different ways.

this is probably a great mystery in the martial arts as well as in life generally. but aggression and violent intent cannot be avoided. physical techniques can be avoided to some degree, but aggression and violence must be dealt with. processed in an efficient way. this doesnt only apply to physical fighting but all communication.
conversely_#, physical threats cannot be ignored without compromising security.

most of this sort of communication, body language is very instinctual but it can be trained in various ways. these ways are very hard to describe without causing confusion. but the main subjects are the training of the tanden(key words-zazen,yoga,chigung) to achieve a powerful psyche and nervous system as well as certain rules of motion, politeness and interpretation of body language to discern the meaning of motion and stillness-closeness and distance-light and dark. above that, also vital is the training of the spirit to understand mercy and benevolance. because the greatest friend or enemy you can have, is your own conscience.

that is a system that has literaly worked wonders for me.

Last edited:

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Been in a a few, but these were all before I started MA (although this was not the reason I started doing MA), and always against a gang of people (vs just little old me :erg:). I've been INSANELY lucky in that none of them knew how to fight very well, so I've escaped any permanent damage. I forgot to ask them if they'd trained in any MAs :lol:

Latest Discussions