Votes: 4 4.8%
  • ZERO_ NEVER HAD ONE

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been caught up a few times as part of a group of freinds. One person starts **** and we all have to back him up. It's stupid. When I had enough of my freinds picking fights for me and they said I "showed no love" I asked everyone, "who else is sick of this ****?" like a line in the sand it took one of us to speak up before a few others grew the chutspah to say they'd had enough too. Almost got in a fight about that. Sometimes you have to find out who your real freinds are. You shoplift some batteries and get arrested, why would I bail you out? If you can't lose a little pride and tone down the aggression, why should we have to defend you against the posse YOU (not your posse) picked a fight with? It's one thing to get in a rumble, it's another to go looking for it because you think you're ten feet tall and bullet proof so everyone owes you some abstract concept of respect. "Street fights" are for people willing to, whether through ignorance, death-wish or inflated sense of self-esteme, risk their lives to look tough. Getting jumped in an alley or parking lot by a group of people prepared for a victim is another story. I don't even like the term street fight. It paints a fantasy picture of "one side gets a little glory and a sore fist, the other guy gets embarrassment and a sore nose" when it's more like one guy has a broken cheekbone, double concussion and is half-concious and bleeding a lot, moaning on the ground, the other guy runs before the police get there, maybe after taking buddy's wallet and kicking him in the ribs while he's prone. Streetfighting ALWAYS (in my experience) brings out the emotionally sadistic nature of the aggresssor. As it stands, if I'm forced to "duel" someone it's no longer a duel for me, it's time to rip his eyes out and elbow him in the throat before he breaks my shoulder and pulls on my broken arm just to enjoy my screaming before he stomps my head. If I have to, it means they want to kill me. It means they want to see the look on my face when I'm in agony, they want to humiliate me on top of it all and they play down the seriousness of it. Violence is unacceptable and I'll immediately sink to their assumed level out of principal. A fist might as well be a knife when it's the concept.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes. They were quite some time ago, hope not to have to do it again.

Michael

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to many because looking back, I would say 1/4 to 1/3 were avoidable. Age does play into it, both mine and those I fought. Loudmouths I don't know and in places I have no stake in I will try to talk it out or walk away but if attacked then they have cast the die, not me.

But I'm sorry but i would not want to not have any in my life either, some things are worth fighting for and when you fight for something that is right, you feel good about it.

there are times I walked away or backed down that have bothered me.

A man needs to know what his own blood taste like.

As a MA/SD Instructor, I beleive you should have SOME fights in your life, but you dont need to be "An ex streetfighter, bouncer, warvet, whatever.." to be compatent as a SD instructor.

You also could not possably be in every type of situation because every fight has it's unique conditions and you would have to be a nutcase to been in it all.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted way too many and not enough....

ALthough I had been in many altercations in my younger days... the last few years has been pretty dry and boring...

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the poll were still voteable, I'd vote way too many. They were all avoidable in hindsight and frankly I hope never to get in another one.

Latest Discussions