The way you train to fight? Will it work for the streets?

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing your thoughts!

We do to some degree but the not adrenline stuffs. Aloha

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One concept that was emphasized at both Kenpo Schools I attended was 'dirty fighting'. There are no rules in a street fight, so things like kicking the groin or eye jabbing for example were stated time and time again, especially when teaching children. As far as kenpo goes, if you can understand the concepts behind the techniques and if you can break down the moves within each technique and realize what they are for, and how they should be executed, you see there is a lot of realistic and effective moves for countering a lot of attacks.

L

lonekimono10

evenflow1121 said:
One concept that was emphasized at both Kenpo Schools I attended was 'dirty fighting'. There are no rules in a street fight, so things like kicking the groin or eye jabbing for example were stated time and time again, especially when teaching children. As far as kenpo goes, if you can understand the concepts behind the techniques and if you can break down the moves within each technique and realize what they are for, and how they should be executed, you see there is a lot of realistic and effective moves for countering a lot of attacks.
i think that saids it all

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
fear is a big factor in self defense. i dont care who you are, when the prospect of flesh meeting flesh happens there is an element. how many of you create that in the dojo in order to see how the student responds to it?
i found the best way to do this is to act out of character to get the adrenaline pumping and get their nerves a bit frayed.
it may seem like a cruel trick......but its a good learning lesson....worked for me anyway.
I think what you are talking about is what I have seen termed as "Fear Reactivity". This happens alot when people are afraid to get hit. It is the fear of getting hit that causes this unconscious reaction.

We do drills that allow us to rid ourselves of fear reactivity. In BBT, this can come from Muto Dori and many other exercises.

Latest Discussions