The way you train to fight? Will it work for the streets?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How many times we hear the term " The way you train is the way you will fight? and will it work for the streets?

Do you have hard contact and anything goes in your training? take downs and add-ins punches, hits,stomps and so on?

Fight like on the streets style?

This could be a repeat thread from early? not sure...........Aloha

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the things I see a lot, and am grateful we do not do at my school...

Is that people of many arts (mine included) practice techniques against attackers doing, well, their techniques.

When I studied Hapkido, for example, all the attacks we defended against were typical Hapkido style strikes and kicks. But what then, for example if you fight a different "type" of fighter?

In my current Buj school, we have an exercise, its mostly done by the Blackbelts but I think most of us have had some exposure... where the attacker puts on Boxing gloves (for saftey reasons) and then goes all out throwing wild punches like you see in many street-fighting clips... and I'll tell you, it changes the perspective on recieving an attack. We also try and train our techniques against a "street style" attacker... I dunno if I can explain exactly... but... realistic type punches, grabs, pushes... with a verbal threat element added to them as well... and it feels... different... than training against a "dojo" type of attack... if you get my meaning.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. It is very important to add in that realism and aliveness to your training. Too many times, as it was said, you see people doing the 'dojo' attack, or will hear, 'Well, my Instructor or Master does/did it, so it must work!' Well, IMHO, regardless of the Master doing it, WE need to be able to do it. What works for some, may not work as easily for others.

As for the original question: Yes, I make it a habit to include this type of training into my own training. Its easy to do a tech. having someone stop that punch a few inches from hitting you and stand there while you do your thing, but its a very different feel when its screaming towards you and you know that if you don't move or do something, you'll get hit.

Mike

L

lonekimono10

I know people who say the same thing about traning in the dojo and fighting on the street, they say "this is what we do if this happens or that happens"
i'm sorry to to be the monkey wrench here(did i spell that right?)
but once again i'm going say how do you know what the guy on the street is going to do and how he is going to react?
you don't!!!! so,, i'm not going make this long my head hurts already
from reading some of the stuff in here.
i hope someone will understand what i mean(and again it's just me)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:

i'm sorry to to be the monkey wrench here(did i spell that right?)
but once again i'm going say how do you know what the guy on the street is going to do and how he is going to react?
Well, you don't know. However, the typical human has 2 fists, 2 arms (both nearly the same length), 2 feet, 2 legs (nearly the same length), a head, a torso, and hips. Based on that, his/her options are bit limited. Those things you can count on. That makes a bit easier to deal with. Now if they have 3 or 4 arms, heck or even 8 arms. It would be a WHOLE DIFFERENT form of fighting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Now if they have 3 or 4 arms, heck or even 8 arms. It would be a WHOLE DIFFERENT form of fighting.

Thats for sure!! :xtrmshock

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has so far and I don't care to repeat. I have very hard contact in training, but the part that has helped the most is learning to deal with adrenal-dump.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Do you have hard contact and anything goes in your training? take downs and add-ins punches, hits,stomps and so on?
Yup. It's the only way to be ready.

L

lonekimono10

well i guess no one understands what i mean??,and that thing about 8 legs??????:idunno: it's hard to make my point in here when you have to type it!!!!!!but it's all good like i say all the time forgetaboutit.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
well i guess no one understands what i mean??,and that thing about 8 legs??????:idunno: it's hard to make my point in here when you have to type it!!!!!!but it's all good like i say all the time forgetaboutit.
Help us understand better then. If you want to know if we train in an all-out style for street fighting or ?

L

lonekimono10

searcher said:
Help us understand better then. If you want to know if we train in an all-out style for street fighting or ?

forgetaboutit!!!

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think I may be on the same page as lonekimono10 or at least in the same book.
I have always had a difficult time in dealing with the so-called reality training. To be perfectly honest, one can't train for real against a partner, unless you really intend to inflict some harm and damage. There are those that will put on the gloves and pads and have a good wack fest or go on a padded floor and do some takedowns and tap outs. This mindset stems from the MMA's and watching the UFC. I don't train to go into the ring, which unto itself dictates how you think and train. People have somehow lost what self defense means and how to train appropriately for it. It is amazing how the martial arts survived all these many, many years with just the old fashioned curriculum of take the attacker out of action as fast as possible, personal style(s) applicable.

L

lonekimono10

thanks brad, u see people tend to get upset with me when i start saying stuff about that kind of training, i'm going to say this one more time
kenpo is my mother art, i know others but only have rank in kenpo
and as of last week 7-23, it makes 40 years that i have been in love with
kenpo, so when i see/hear people saying "i train full contact"
the only thing i'm going to say is OK

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
I think I may be on the same page as lonekimono10 or at least in the same book.
I have always had a difficult time in dealing with the so-called reality training. To be perfectly honest, one can't train for real against a partner, unless you really intend to inflict some harm and damage. There are those that will put on the gloves and pads and have a good wack fest or go on a padded floor and do some takedowns and tap outs. This mindset stems from the MMA's and watching the UFC. I don't train to go into the ring, which unto itself dictates how you think and train. People have somehow lost what self defense means and how to train appropriately for it. It is amazing how the martial arts survived all these many, many years with just the old fashioned curriculum of take the attacker out of action as fast as possible, personal style(s) applicable.

thanks brad, u see people tend to get upset with me when i start saying stuff about that kind of training, i'm going to say this one more time
kenpo is my mother art, i know others but only have rank in kenpo
and as of last week 7-23, it makes 40 years that i have been in love with
kenpo, so when i see/hear people saying "i train full contact"

I understand that we're not going to be able to go to the full extent of actually poking our training partner in the eyes, break his arms, neck or legs, etc., but it is still possible to create the proper mindset to deal with a real attack. People such as Peyton Quinn do it all the time! With the proper equipment, that 'real' feeling can be obtained, as well as the adrenal rush that happens during a situation. In addition, adding aliveness to ones training will also be a big help. If our partner is standing there like a statue, and that is what we train against time after time, that is how we will react. It will be so ingrained, that we won't know any other way.

In closing, we all train differently. That being said, unless we are able to see how everyone in the world trains, to make a statement such as

so when i see/hear people saying "i train full contact"

really is not accurate.

Mike

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
fear is a big factor in self defense. i dont care who you are, when the prospect of flesh meeting flesh happens there is an element. how many of you create that in the dojo in order to see how the student responds to it?
i found the best way to do this is to act out of character to get the adrenaline pumping and get their nerves a bit frayed.
it may seem like a cruel trick......but its a good learning lesson....worked for me anyway.

L

lonekimono10

BlackCatBonz said:
fear is a big factor in self defense. i dont care who you are, when the prospect of flesh meeting flesh happens there is an element. how many of you create that in the dojo in order to see how the student responds to it?
i found the best way to do this is to act out of character to get the adrenaline pumping and get their nerves a bit frayed.
it may seem like a cruel trick......but its a good learning lesson....worked for me anyway.
you know we do something called "roll playing" and that works also

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Dojo training is not the same as a real confrontation.

However, a person who trains hard regularly and is conditioned to take a hit and not crawl into the fetal position at the first sign of danger will fare much better than the average Joe.

It is our MA mindset, conditioning awareness and reflexes that are our greatest asset in a situation.

Becoming desensitized to your fears can be very empowering and be the difference between hospitalization and making it back home to your family at the end of the day.

Just my HO. :)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, How many times we hear the term " The way you train is the way you will fight? and will it work for the streets?

Fight like on the streets style?

This could be a repeat thread from early? not sure...........Aloha
When we spar at my school, anything goes. We bite, but lightly, we hit in the groin, but lightly.
You must train this way if you want to effectively be able to use your training. For example, BJJ guys are very tough, but, you can bite them in almost every set up they use, they to can bite. This just opens a persons eyes to the fact that you might noe want to just grapple someone down. If a good BJJ fighter tackles me down Im having him for LUNCH!

Reactions: MJS
L

lonekimono10

i got to tell you i don't know about the bitting,and you can guess where i;m going with that, i'm not the one to tell dojo war stories in here or on the net,but i will say this (as far as kenpo goes), if you ever had to defend yourself on the street,and you know kenpo and understand what kenpo can do, well it's something not to nice to watch, and what i mean by that is there was a time when i had to do just that.
it was fast and you don't think about what tecq you are doing it just comes.( maybe there should be a post just for dojo war stories that would be cool.)

Latest Discussions