Should Off Duty Officers Carry Guns In Bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do bouncers get guns to deal with all these drunks who have guns?
Your mileage may vary, but where I live, consuming alcohol invalidates your carry permit. You drink, you leave the gun behind. Very simple. And no doubt a good thing, from my friends position. Because they always know I'll be the designated driver.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your mileage may vary, but where I live, consuming alcohol invalidates your carry permit. You drink, you leave the gun behind. Very simple. And no doubt a good thing, from my friends position. Because they always know I'll be the designated driver.

Wait. They still let you in the pub. You just promise not to drink?

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe all honest people who want to have some control of their own safety should in fact train regularly, and carry a gun everywhere they go period. Law enforcement or not.
The wild West? What kind of society are you living in when you feel the need to pack a piece when going to a bar or dinner?
Are all gun owners responsible people Maybe after a few drinks ?

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The wild West? What kind of society are you living in when you feel the need to pack a piece when going to a bar or dinner?
Are all gun owners responsible people Maybe after a few drinks ?

Are all drivers? There is a line. That line is different among people. It’s probably much higher with gun owners because you can be passed that line and leave your gun in the holster.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are all drivers? There is a line. That line is different among people. It’s probably much higher with gun owners because you can be passed that line and leave your gun in the holster.
Well it's like young guys running around with a blade, if zhey get into a fight they'll probably use it. I'm sure there's a lot of guys in the US ended up in jail because of a moments madness.
Only police on duty should carry & not off duty. Civilians shouldn't be allowed to walk around in Bars.. etc with a gun. Absolutely ridiculous but I'm from Europe so you probably won't agree with my opinions

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will just add that I'm not anti-guns. I mean having one at home for protecting your family I understand just not walking around gun-ho like John wayne.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll let other more gun centric posters correct me if I'm wrong. But reading the Colorado rules, it seems like a sort of thing that they determine after the fact. "You shot someone... hey, have you been drinking? I think you might be under the influence."

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well it's like young guys running around with a blade, if zhey get into a fight they'll probably use it. I'm sure there's a lot of guys in the US ended up in jail because of a moments madness.
Only police on duty should carry & not off duty. Civilians shouldn't be allowed to walk around in Bars.. etc with a gun. Absolutely ridiculous but I'm from Europe so you probably won't agree with my opinions

Your beliefs don’t align with the constitution and beliefs of the United States. Fortunately, I live in a land that mostly values my liberty.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Your beliefs don’t align with the constitution and beliefs of the United States. Fortunately, I live in a land that mostly values my liberty.
that’s not actually true. But unfortunately to explain it to you would be deemed political.

So suffice to say, there is room for discussion about the idea that regulation of guns and restrictions are unconstitutional and also on the idea that your beliefs are the official, sanctioned beliefs of the USA. I don’t believe you’re right on either count.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's make this thread completely political so it can be locked by the administration.

Either that or put on some tall boots because it's getting quite deep in this thread.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few Glazer in 38sp, are they still around? Problem is for revolver, it's ok, I don't have to test it. But for semi auto, It's really EXPENSIVE to proof it is reliable for the gun!!! Look 200 rounds!!!

I just look at MagSafe, the profile of the nose is not too bad, it should not have problem like the CCI Blazer JHP 45. That one is like an ashtray.
I believe they are both still available. Both the Glazer and MagSafe rounds are available in a rounded tip that is closer to hardball than to JHP.
Wait. They still let you in the pub. You just promise not to drink?
How would they stop me? The whole point of concealed carry is that it's, you know, concealed.
I don’t live in Colorado. But I think it’s even more subjective. You can carry as long as you aren’t under the influence.
The law in Colorado does not define a BAC for being under the influence. Intoxicated is defined as 0.080. Under the influence means any positive result. So very simple. If I carry, I have zero alcohol. Seems reasonable. If I'm going to carry a firearm, I do not want anything affecting my judgement.
Nonsense. I carried a knife pretty much every day growing up. Still do. Never used it in a fight. I did trim hangnails with it though.

I will just add that I'm not anti-guns. I mean having one at home for protecting your family I understand just not walking around gun-ho like John wayne.
So your home is the only place where you need/are allowed to protect yourself? How very sad.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe they are both still available. Both the Glazer and MagSafe rounds are available in a rounded tip that is closer to hardball than to JHP.

How would they stop me? The whole point of concealed carry is that it's, you know, concealed.

The law in Colorado does not define a BAC for being under the influence. Intoxicated is defined as 0.080. Under the influence means any positive result. So very simple. If I carry, I have zero alcohol. Seems reasonable. If I'm going to carry a firearm, I do not want anything affecting my judgement.

Nonsense. I carried a knife pretty much every day growing up. Still do. Never used it in a fight. I did trim hangnails with it though.

So your home is the only place where you need/are allowed to protect yourself? How very sad.
I think it's sad that you need to walk around with a gun.
As for the knife..c'mon you know what I'm saying. Where I grew up young guys carried kitchen knifes easily available from any Store obviously not for "trim hangnails" whatever that is. Surely you can't be so naive?

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's nice. And I agree. It would be nice if nobody ever wanted to hurt anyone. But the reality of the world is that there are monsters out there, and the only person who can protect you is you.
As for the knife..c'mon you know what I'm saying.
No. We don't. We know what you wrote. If you want people to know what you mean, it's incumbent upon you to write what you mean.
Where I grew up young guys carried kitchen knifes easily available from any Store obviously not for "trim hangnails" whatever that is. Surely you can't be so naive?
There's nothing naive about it. I have carried a knife since I was maybe 7-8 years old. Pretty much every single day. Still do. I've used it to trim a hangnail, open boxes, open mail, trim/strip wires, cut seatbelts and clothing, whittle, clean game... lots of things. But I've never attacked anyone with it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for the knife..c'mon you know what I'm saying. Where I grew up young guys carried kitchen knifes easily available from any Store obviously not for "trim hangnails" whatever that is. Surely you can't be so naive?
Wait a sec, didn’t you say you were from a land where they value human life? What were the kitchen knives for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions