Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. Granted I'm not a LEO but when I went to my city's courthouse for a small claims hearing, I couldn't carry a cell phone in to the court house, let alone a weapon.
Thats a whole different matter. Cameras are allowed in all courts, yet many ignore that permission. Of course, some judges fear cameras more than they fear guns, lol.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats a whole different matter. Cameras are allowed in all courts, yet many ignore that permission. Of course, some judges fear cameras more than they fear guns, lol.

That is not true in all courthouses either. Our county prohibits all recording devices (cameras, camcorders, cellphones, tape recorders)unless you are a journalist and provide credentials.

We had an issue with gang members taking pictures of jury members with camera phones and cameras and then harrassing them as they left the courthouse. We also had an issue with them recording testimony and then playing it for other witnesses so they could change theirs to match.

Cell phones were just an issue because people would not take notice of the "turn them off" signs and would answer them in the middle of court hearings and proceedings. Also, gang members would use their cell phones to call their buddies outside the courthouse and describe what the jury members looked like, what they were wearing etc. so they could take their picture and try to harrass them and tell them as they were about to come out.

Cameras ARE allowed for weddings and adoptions, we get a list each day for when those occur. Also, the office where they are held is right in view of the Deputy working the front door so they know when/where the party is done. The pictures are only allowed in the room during the ceremony though and no where else in the courthouse.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how they work it for weddings or other events; generally, cameras, cell phones, and any recording devices are prohibited in the courthouses I frequent. So are guns, except for LEOs. (Whether cops can carry into the courtroom is more complex...)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find it interesting how many depts. have courts who don't allow LEO's to carry into court. I'm in the uniform division so I always wear my complete uniform to court and that includes my gun belt.

I do agree with limits on LE in court for personal reasons. That's a different story.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
An unfortunate incident. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years and I can honestly say I have never had that happen to me.
Several years ago one judege here decided that no officer, uniformed or not, would be allowed to wear a weapon in her court room. Officers refeused to appear in her court room and that silly ruling quickly went by the wayside.
That being said, I have to agree with the other posters that to even consider having officers come to court without weapons is ridiculous.

Any clown who is THAT big of a hopolophobe shouldn't be on the bench anyway.....too mentally unstable.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah, isn't it funny how judges and lawyers believe video cameras are the greatest thing ever invented......so long as they are pointed at cops doing their job......but try pointing one at a judge or attorney doing their job! :hammer:

It would seem to me that OPENNESS of government is GREAT to attorneys......except.....except......the JUDICIAL system needs secrecy! ;)

Latest Discussions