Should Off Duty Officers Carry Guns In Bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok maybe we are splitting hairs. Why would you be pulling it out in public? Concealed means concealed. If there is any confrontation going on, I can guarantee you that even displaying it can be cause for a brandishing charge in California. Obviously, that depends on circumstances, but i believe you should look up the legal definition in your state. I did a little research, if my information is correct, that a total of 5 states do not have a brandishing statute. That leaves 45 that do. You do you my friend but I would caution against that type of behavior.
Not splitting hairs at all. The post that started this side-track discussion about brandishing, which I can't find so it may have been deleted with the political posts purge, mentioned stopping an attach simply by having a firearm, not using it. My response was in defense of that specific action. Given my scenario, that doesn't meet the definition of brandishing, which is an offensive employment.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brandishing is only a crime if there was no justification for using that level of force. If someone is doing something that would justify shooting them, you can most certainly legally brandish the weapon and choose not to shoot them.

Brandishing a weapon is often a misunderstood aspect of a legal use of a gun.
Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions