Should Off Duty Officers Carry Guns In Bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I couldn’t find a study that said what he was saying. But I found one that seems close, concluding that it is exceedingly rare for guns to be helpful jn a self defense situation, based on available, supplemental FBI data.

Dirty Dog seemed to confirm this earlier as he was recounting how many of his family members carry guns everywhere but never use them outside of being a cop.

I think it might originally be this.

Which is nothing like DD was suggesting.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someone was saying they carry a knife & never use it other than for odd jobs but carries a gun & would probably see it differently & use it for self defense.
I don't see how carrying a knife is any different. My point is if you carry any weapon you'll probably use it.
I carry both knife and gun. I haven’t had to use either one as a weapon.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not bringing politics into anything. I don't care about US politics. I'm saying the facts are there doesn't matter how you spin it.
Enough gun-ho cops in the USA with massive egos too. If someone is aggressive & carries a gun in public they'll probably pull it regardless who started the argument. If a large number of citizens are walking around with guns in public it stands to reason that not all incidents will be "self defense ".
Nonsense. Pulling out your gun is a crime known as brandishing. Do that once and your permit to carry will be revoked. All this is explained in the training. The only people that brandish are the ones that are carrying illegally. Those folks are the reason that people get a permit in the first place.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check out this nice old boy. This is exactly my point. Too easy to pull out a gun.
Using a gun under the influence is as irresponsible as driving under the influence. Cop, no cop whatever. I don't care how many times someone either hasn't crashed or hasn't shot someone.

If you carry a gun it should be taken seriously.
I totally agree with this statement.

Martlet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nonsense. Pulling out your gun is a crime known as brandishing. Do that once and your permit to carry will be revoked. All this is explained in the training. The only people that brandish are the ones that are carrying illegally. Those folks are the reason that people get a permit in the first place.
That’s not true at all. Only if you live in areas that don’t respect the constitution.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brandishing, as used in a legal sense, may be a crime. However, pulling a firearm isn't by itself the criminal act of brandishing, as implied in the post.
Ok maybe we are splitting hairs. Why would you be pulling it out in public? Concealed means concealed. If there is any confrontation going on, I can guarantee you that even displaying it can be cause for a brandishing charge in California. Obviously, that depends on circumstances, but i believe you should look up the legal definition in your state. I did a little research, if my information is correct, that a total of 5 states do not have a brandishing statute. That leaves 45 that do. You do you my friend but I would caution against that type of behavior.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Which part? Brandishing is a crime.
Brandishing is only a crime if there was no justification for using that level of force. If someone is doing something that would justify shooting them, you can most certainly legally brandish the weapon and choose not to shoot them.

Brandishing a weapon is often a misunderstood aspect of a legal use of a gun.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brandishing is only a crime if there was no justification for using that level of force. If someone is doing something that would justify shooting them, you can most certainly legally brandish the weapon and choose not to shoot them.

Which is why I asked why would you be pulling it out. I also said obviously there are circumstances…meaning justified force.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Go back earlier in the thread. You will see how this got started and why. I was responding to a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions