Should Off Duty Officers Carry Guns In Bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a sec, didn’t you say you were from a land where they value human life? What were the kitchen knives for?
Someone was saying they carry a knife & never use it other than for odd jobs but carries a gun & would probably see it differently & use it for self defense.
I don't see how carrying a knife is any different. My point is if you carry any weapon you'll probably use it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone was saying they carry a knife & never use it other than for odd jobs but carries a gun & would probably see it differently & use it for self defense.
I don't see how carrying a knife is any different. My point is if you carry any weapon you'll probably use it.
I've been carrying a weapon for over forty years, both a firearm and a knife. (job requirements) Haven't used one yet.

I guess I must be due.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been carrying a weapon for over forty years, both a firearm and a knife. (job requirements) Haven't used one yet.

I guess I must be due.
Well then sounds like outside of the Dojo you've never been in a life threatening situation.
Be happy my man.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well then sounds like outside of the Dojo you've never been in a life threatening situation.
Be happy my man.

I wish that were the case, but no, been in a few in Law Enforcement, and a few more in personal life. A few rather scary.

But other than bitching on this forum lately, (apologies to everyone) I'm usually happy, but thanks, man.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have been in situations where I was too busy dealing with multiple opponents to be able to clear and deploy a knife, even it in a pocket.
And when I could get to it and have time, the threat was no longer there.

Technology on knives has changed and I like the Wave by Emerson for a single motion retrieve, deploy and open.

So it is not always used.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been in situations where I was too busy dealing with multiple opponents to be able to clear and deploy a knife, even it in a pocket.
And when I could get to it and have time, the threat was no longer there.

Technology on knives has changed and I like the Wave by Emerson for a single motion retrieve, deploy and open.

So it is not always used.
Don't need to open a Steak knife or a Machete

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't need to open a Steak knife or a Machete

True, And or screw-drive , and yet open carrying one in many locations even in the worst cities in the US can get you stopped ASAP.

I have been over lots of places / continents, by myself and with others, and able to keep the bad guys at a distance with respect and acknowledgement.

Even a fixed blade in a sheath on the belt usually has a button clip first.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your videos are age restricted and I never created an account on that site
Easy to pull out. Easy to buy in any Store.
_99614294_hi007686012.jpg
knife-crime.jpg

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
True, And or screw-drive , and yet open carrying one in many locations even in the worst cities in the US can get you stopped ASAP.

I have been over lots of places / continents, by myself and with others, and able to keep the bad guys at a distance with respect and acknowledgement.

Even a fixed blade in a sheath on the belt usually has a button clip first.
A kitchen knife will be probably carried with the blade protected by newspaper.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A kitchen knife will be probably carried with the blade protected by newspaper.

It can, and pretty much anything in their hand I consider a weapon, and observe.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But that is not correct. I have carried a knife pretty much every day of my life and have never used it in a fight. I have carried a gun for at least 30 years, and I have never used it. My wife has carried for the past 10 years. Never used it. My mother carried a gun her entire LEO career. Never used it. Two of her brothers were also cops. One did shoot a guy, after the bad guy fired at him. That brother had a son who followed him as a LEO. Never used his gun. One of our sons and a son-in-law are cops. One of them shot a murder suspect who came out of a house trailer with a shotgun. Four of our non-LEO kids also carry. Never used them.

So two out of twelve in my immediate family, both wholly justified. There are 500,000 people in Colorado with concealed carry permits. There are over 20 million people in the US with concealed carry permits.

The number of violent crimes committed by CCW holders is miniscule. A study done by the "Violence Policy Center" (an anti-gun organization) collected a bunch of data. They identified 1,335 gun fatalities involving a CCW holder. After eliminating the deaths in which a CCW permit was irrelevant (such as suicide or crimes in their own home - both of which are terrible things, but neither has any bearing on CCW permits) they were left with 801 fatalities involving CCW holders that were determined not to qualify as self-defense. 801. That is all. Oh, did I mention that the data covered a fifteen year time span?

It's not looking good for your claims...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems an odd choice to me. It would take a lot of newspaper to keep my blades from cutting me. I guess I'll stick with my Benchmade or Microtech OTF knives.
I don't know about you, DD, but if someone pulls a kitchen knife like that on me - you know what they say, "Everybody has to be doing something when they die. If they want to be displaying large cutlery in a threatening manner, I guess that's their choice."

I refuse to be chopped liver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions