Respect in martial arts

JackDenning

White Belt
Reaction score
I battled with this one in my early training, but quickly concluded that bowing is the best and the only way to go. Our dojo's 'rules' go much further. We must announce our arrival and departure to our Sensei and to the higher graders. We cannot leave the training area before the black belts have, even to get a drink, and Sensei's command is never to be questioned.

What I concluded, with respect to this level of discipline, is that the higher graders have knowledge to pass on. If they are not afforded respect, then why, in all fairness, should they impart that knowledge to those who seek to learn?

"You want to learn what we have to teach, the skills that have taken us decades of blood, sweat and broken ribs to develop? Then play by our rules. Respect us, bow to us, and we'll pass on that knowledge to you. Otherwise, just go away, and find someone else to teach you."

Simple, and fair enough in my opinion.

I checked out another dojo a while back out of curiosity, but arrived just as an observer. The instructor was instructing, a couple of the students were sharing a private joke, a bunch of kids were bouncing a ball around, and a group of mothers were sitting around cackling away as though they were at a goddamn hen's party.

Give me ultra high discipline any day.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I know is over the last forty years, the respect factor has gone down and every year I see more and more of it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
The other thing with shaking hands is where men (always men) love squeezing your hand tightly to show how strong they are...

we solve this at my club by replacing the handshake with a hand slap. it's the same as a handshake i guess but we don't grab the hand. it's respectful & also a way of saying "i'm ready". i'm also a big fan of touching gloves. we bow so that we don't forget to do it at judo tournaments, but we're pretty half-hearted about it to be honest.

Well I know is over the last forty years, the respect factor has gone down and every year I see more and more of it.

why do you think this is? something in the martial arts world, or society at large?

jf

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not worthy to answer for terry...the Martial Talk Ultimate Post Whore Extreme :bow:

But IMO society at large

I will definitely second that. It seems that no one wants to take responsible for their actions.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we solve this at my club by replacing the handshake with a hand slap. it's the same as a handshake i guess but we don't grab the hand. it's respectful & also a way of saying "i'm ready". i'm also a big fan of touching gloves. we bow so that we don't forget to do it at judo tournaments, but we're pretty half-hearted about it to be honest.

why do you think this is? something in the martial arts world, or society at large?

jf

I've had students who are Orthodox Jewish, who will not touch other people - especially women - for religious reasons. I'll stick with bowing.

As a middle school teacher, I see many kids who are taught respect at home - but an increasing percentage who are not. One has only to meet their parents to understand where they get it from.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jf

Society at a large have lost alot of respect and it has been taking over the MA world for the last twenty years. People just do not feel the need to be respectful the way it was before, too busy or just because it is not accepted by so many.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me personally, I approach, speak and bow 1st every time I get the chance. I believe I must set the example for my students.
I think the martial arts school should be as refined as possible.

When I walk into my school (if there is a class going on) the senior students stops the class and they give me a courtesy bow. They also do this when I leave (if I leave early)

If I am on the floor and my Instructor should walk in I would do the same for him out of respect. If I knew the person (well) and they were a high BB rank? You bet ya.

I also think (with in your school) This is a great custom to follow.

I do not demand my students bow to me. If I visited a school in our Association I wouldn't expect people to bow. All I can do is be a person who can be respected, not because of my rank, but through my actions- and the respect will follow. Once again the high ranked practitioner has the opportunity to teach a valuable lesson to the beginners.

Finally, I believe you should do things the way your instructor asks you to.

Latest Discussions