Respect in martial arts

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different types of respect.

There is respect shown to a position holder, regardless of the person. Many military officers and enlisted personnel saluted William Clinton, despite the fact that they thought very little of him as a person; they were saluting The President of The United States -- who just happened to be Bill Clinton. This is the respect you show your boss because he's the boss -- even though you may not like or trust him. In a case like this, the respect is being shown to the position and what that position means -- not the person who holds it. Personally -- I always grant this level of respect to a person who's been awarded a black belt (or equivalent status), as a bare minimum starting point. I'll bow to them, try to address them as they feel is appropriate, and so on. At this level of respect, you're quiet and listen when they talk if they're in charge -- even though you may know more than they do... or may disagree. This is the "Simon says" sort of obedience; you do what the teacher says, because you're in their house. Sadly, there are quite a few (some very well known) "masters" who fall into this category...

Another sort of respect is personal respect. There are people with no official status or rank who I'll move heaven and earth for. Typically, through years of association, these people have earned my direct, personal respect -- and they'd have it even if they weren't a black belt or sergeant or lieutenant. These are the people that, when they say do it -- you do it because they're saying so, not because you have to. I feel confident listing people like Ed Parker, Hatsumi, and Dan Inosanto as common examples of this sort of person.

Earlier, I mentioned that there are also different times and places where different sorts of respect are appropriate. When I'm at a tournament, or clinic, I expect a certain level of respect from people within the martial arts. I've got a black belt, my association patch... so you know who I am. In class, I expect students to listen when I talk, to do what I say... but they can call me by name (just like I called my teacher by name).

At work, in the station house, I'll call another officer by their name. But when we're in public, for example, on a call -- it's generally Officer X or Detective Y. If I'm calling them by first name... there's a message we're sending. I've got enough time on that I'll call the lieutenants and even the captain by first name, if we're chatting. When it's "work"... it's LT or Captain... and the chief is always "Chief" or "Colonel." I don't know him socially -- so I haven't hit that point. It'll be interesting in a few more years, when some of the folks I know and have come through the ranks with are making upper ranks. (Several people from my academy class -- or even later ones!-- are already sergeants; I don't think any are lieutenants yet.)

Where the problems come in are when you start getting martial arts teachers who expect you to bow to them when you bump into them outside of the training hall... That may not even be appropriate in Japan, as I understand it! (It's interesting how some American martial artists try to out-Japanese the real Japanese here in the US!) In class, I'm the teacher. Outside, I'm Jim; just another guy (unless you encounter me when it's Officer...) I'm confident enough of myself that I don't have to have my students "pay me respect" outside the training hall.

Outward signs of respect are funny things. I can bow or salute you with perfect form... and despise you. I can call you by silly, vulgar, or even offensive nicknames -- and respect you deeply. Too many people mistake the signs and trappings for the reality...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard soldiers call their officers 'sir' in such a way it's downright insulting but the officers, usually the ones straight out of training, don't say anything because they know it sounds stupid complaining about being addressed correctly and they can't put their finger on exactly whats wrong!

About 13 years ago my daughter who'd been training with us and her friend wanted to try out a karate club that was in our local school, literally 2 minutes up the road from us. We went along, my daughter was an orange belt in Wado at the time, 8th kyu, her friend hadn't done anything. It was a childrens class no adults at all just a male instructor. The children were required to go down to their knees to bow on, they did this everytime the instructor talked to them individually, before they could talk to him and when going on and off the mats. The children spent half their time on their knees. the worse thing to my mind was that he clearly didn't think much of my daughters training making degrogatory remarks to her about her training and barking at her to go on her knees and bow then he sparred with her, kicking her in the stomach with a strong front kick, this was a grown man and she was ten ( a small ten, she's now a small 23), I nearly rushed onto the mat to have a go at him, but picking herself up and wincing with pain she looked him in the eye and told him slowly and clearly he was a wanker, then walked off with her head held high and with great dignity. We walked out...without bowing. I expect we were held up as being hugely rude and disrespectful.

I have no problem bowing to people with higher rank than myself, we instruct our children how different styles do it so they will be respectful and polite wherever they go for their next club.

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Either way, I practice courtesy for myself - not for those around me. I see no reason why I should be discourteous simply because the setting has changed.

Kacey,

On this one point, I agree with you. The rest of it, well, to me it sounds like your own rant. :)

I do agree with you b/c in fact, I show respect to all people inside and outside the dojang. I expect myself to be respectful even to the jerk who cuts me off in traffic or slights me in person. Does not meant I cannot set a boundary or have to tolerate anything, though sometimes I do.

I treat others with respect b/c I am a respectful person. B/c if someone is a jerk to me, he's a jerk. If I am a jerk back, then I am a jerk, too! Sounds to me like the same point you were making with your last couple sentences.

I agree with you. Setting doesn't change anything.

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is like a hand shake. Before class I bow, and everyone else bows, I tell them it is like shaking all their hands at the same time. Out in the world a hand shake shows respect, I don't wait, I just extend. The same holds true in the DoJo. Call it a thank you, call it respect. I guess we could salute each other, the important thing is to do what is appropriate at the right time, and in the right place, and for all the right reasons.

I agree with you, Seasoned. I, too, tell everyone it is like a handshake. I have had some students have a problem with bowing b/c of their religious beliefs, so I always put it out there on the first day, this is one way we show respect, just like shaking hands.

I, too, just extend first. I, personally, don't care if I outrank someone, if I see them first, I bow first.

I think it's even OK to have that requirement of the lower rank bowing first. The thing I think is a problem is taking that slight, which was most likely just a misunderstanding and making it into a feud, a longstanding grudge. In my opinion, that makes the grudge-holder just as wrong as the original person who made the mistake (same thing I said in my reply to Kacey).

Now, this is all assuming it was a mistake that this instructor did not show proper respect to the visitor, which is the assumption I made in my OP. Which, I hope is the assumption I would make for anyone. Even if it were not true, it would go a long way toward changing it into the truth.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another one, how low do you bow to people?

People should have no problems religiouswise with bowing, Europeans were bowing and curtseying to each other for centuries, the practice was taken across to America with the Puritans. It's always been considered a politeness, nothing more. If anything handshaking is less 'modest' with males and females touching, something not acceptable in many cultures and religions, and 'handfasting' was a pagan 'wedding' ceremony.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the lower the bow, the more respectful.

That's what I've always been told and also that if you didn't bow lower than a BB or instructor you were asking to fight!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple would in front of the community have their hands bound together as a sort of betrothal or wedding. It could be a trial wedding for an amount of time agreed by the couple eg they could agree to a year and a day after which they'd come back and either agree to continue together or part company. The ceremony was probably officiated by a priest or priestess.
I believe the Wiccans have brought it back as one of their ceremonies.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What kills me about the bowing thing in the Western World is that bowing imposes an Eastern social etiquette upon Western newcomers to martial arts.

Some of those newcomers are confused by all of that. I'm Asian and lived in Japan for a few years. I'm STILL confused! Some of those newcomers completely throw that out the window and only bow when someone imposes that sort of thing on them (I'll admit, I'm a really nice guy in a gym or dojo, but I get a D in bowing. Sorry.)

Most Western martial artists "get it." Yes, they respect the imposed social etiquette as part of their art's tradition, but look beyond that and at the real meat of the matter, which is to learn a martial art.

Chances are, you probably won't survive a fight by knowing how to bow properly. However, you will probably get along with other instructors in that art because you understand their etiquette. But then again, what's more important to you? Understanding the technique, or understanding the culture?

It's like going to a fancy restaurant... Sometimes I remember to wear my tie.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't bow in MMA either. Don't forget if you do bow.....keep your eyes on the person you are bowing to as Bruce Lee instructed!

Bowing is still used here when meeting royalty, on the stage by actors and in rememberance of people such as soldiers etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quite like bowing instead of shaking hands, you never know where someone's hands have been lol. The other thing with shaking hands is where men (always men) love squeezing your hand tightly to show how strong they are, my instructor taught me how to deal with that and the look on their faces when they can't squeeze hard is very funny.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple would in front of the community have their hands bound together as a sort of betrothal or wedding. It could be a trial wedding for an amount of time agreed by the couple eg they could agree to a year and a day after which they'd come back and either agree to continue together or part company. The ceremony was probably officiated by a priest or priestess.
I believe the Wiccans have brought it back as one of their ceremonies.

And one that me and my missus shall be going through each year and a day as befits our true Saxon culture :D.

Oh and yes, you can tell a lot about a man by his handshake. There are worlds of difference between 'wet-lettuce' and 'firm-and-confident' and 'bonecrushing' and the tales told by each are legion.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the lower the bow, the more respectful.

My GM told me, you bow just enough, and keep your eyes on them as you may never know when they will attack you. This way, you stand a cahnce to try to move out of the way versus just being blind sided.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow....I'm actually kind of surprised. At least in Korea and as far as I know, Japan as well, looking someone in the eye while bowing is considered very disrespectful and rude.

Actually, kind of exactly what you said...it is basically like saying that you don't trust the other person are have to keep watching them.

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow....I'm actually kind of surprised. At least in Korea and as far as I know, Japan as well, looking someone in the eye while bowing is considered very disrespectful and rude.

Actually, kind of exactly what you said...it is basically like saying that you don't trust the other person are have to keep watching them.

Yes, and yet I guess I am trained to be disrespectful. My instructor taught us, too, to bow with heads up. Me, I have to pay attention to where i am and bow according to the custom of the dojang. :) My instructor might bop me on the head if I keep it down. He's not above proving his point that way. Ah...fond memories of learning lessons the hard way!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr Miyagi told Daniel-san, "Always watch with eyes!"

Other than that, I don't know what the 'real' custom/tradition is. I always look down with a regular bow, but instruct students to keep eyes up when bowing while holding a weapon.

Latest Discussions