Rape attempt victim and rescuer jailed for killing attacker

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No reasonable jury would have convicted. She wouldn't even have been prosecuted in Texas.

I'd like to think that this was true... but if you look at some of the idiotic civil judgments that have been recorded, such as the successful lawsuit against McDonald's over the burn case involving coffee served not just at industry standards, but at a temperature comparable to those produced by home coffee machines, you gotta wonder. And while I can't lay my hands on the judgment, I've run across at least one case of a successful negligence suit by a would-be thief injured in an an attempted house burglary. These incidents were both jury decisions, btw.

I agree that in places such as Singapore, China and other countries where there is, in effect, no independent judiciary system, your odds of getting justice are a lot lower (and probably tied more closely to your class status and annual income, though the phrase, 'how much justice can you afford?', is one that often comes up in (North) American contexts as well). And we have a crucial appeals court system which adds an important check-and-balance mechanism within the judicial system. But any given jury, on any given day, can go haywire. Just go through the Horror Stories forum archives to see some choice examples of U.S. jury decisions from Hell... :rolleyes:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a nice, romantic idea to think that some folks can be reformed if we just show them kindness and understanding....

But the reality is that some people are more of a hinderence to civilization than not and the best thing we could do for them and us is to put them down.

It costs billions of tax payer dollars to house, feed, clothe, and provide medical care for rapists, murderers, and child molesters....while a decent bullet only costs about $0.75. Do the math. I'd prefer that money be spent to help a less fortunate kid get a college education and actually contribute something to society or go to help pay the medical bills for a family that can't afford insurance.

May sound harsh, but that's my $0.02.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
No reasonable jury would have convicted. She wouldn't even have been prosecuted in Texas.

But we have to remember that in THAILAND, unlike the US, justice is administered by the state.....you don't GET a jury trial! Your guilt or innocence is decided by a judge or a panel of judges. It's a legalistic society.

In the US, while we have laws.....any jury can choose to disregard those laws in the interest of 'justice' and find you 'not guilty'.

Exactly, it would have went to a Grand Jury and been no billed easily in my view if it even got that far here in Texas.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
It costs billions of tax payer dollars to house, feed, clothe, and provide medical care for rapists, murderers, and child molesters....while a decent bullet only costs about $0.75.

On one hand, I agree very much with you.

But on the OTHER hand, how many times have we seen recently people cleared of a crime (rape, murder, etc.) by DNA evidence after serving 20 years in prison?

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" (William Blackstone)

"It is better [one hundred] guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer" (Ben Franklin)

The twelfth-century legal theorist Maimonides argued that executing an accused criminal on anything less than absolute certainty would progressively lead to convictions merely "according to the judge's caprice" and and that "it is better and more satisfactory to acquit a thousand guilty persons than to put a single innocent one to death." (from Wikipedia)

And, finally, just for perspective:

"I'd rather let a thousand guilty men go free than chase after them." — Chief Wiggum :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the state of Nebraska, a judge in one case told the woman that she could not use the word "rape" in court. It had to be sexual assault. Rape was too harsh of a word. Now I just don't get it, people who do these crimes are treated with kid gloves and the victims are made out to be the bad guy. Do I agree with the lady slashing the guy after he got taken out? No, but I don't blame her either. Why the boxer is in jail is over my head. Granted, he may kick harder and knows the spots to hurt someone, but he was just trying to help someone without using lethal force. Maybe this person had a weak chin. I see no fault in his actions.
He should have stopped her. He was responsible for that guy's safty once he took his conciousness.
Sean

Latest Discussions