Rape attempt victim and rescuer jailed for killing attacker

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Thailand

from http://www.bangkokpost.com/100708_News/10Jul2008_news03.php

A former Thai boxer who intervened to prevent a woman being raped has been jailed, along with the woman he saved, for accidentally killing the attacker.

The incident, on Aug 29, 2005, was viewed by the Criminal Court yesterday as an attempt to bludgeon a person to death.

The judge sentenced former boxer Aswin Wongwitaya, 27, to three years in prison. The woman, Aruni Tongprom, 40, was given two years in jail.

According to the prosecution, Aswin admitted he "lightly kicked" the would-be rapist, identified only as Ya.

The woman admitted she used a knife to slash the attacker's face several times after he collapsed due to a series of blows from Aswin.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This just goes to show you, we all have got to learn control even in the heat of an attack.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This just goes to show you, we all have got to learn control even in the heat of an attack.
So very, very sad and yet ... so very, very true. But that would take knowledge. ;)

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is sad, that people will only look at this and say , the slashes were excessive because the guy was beat down already. What a load of crap IMO. Shoudl she have let him rape and then done it ? Would that make it ok then ? What is wrong with the world today ? So sad and pathetic. I sure hope the next life isn't as messed up as this one.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its things like this, that make people not want to get involved. This is why I'd rather call for help, rather than physically get involved. Anyways....I don't think that the guy did anything excessive. Says that he just kicked him. As for her taking the knife to the attacker....in the 'heat of the moment' chances are she wasn't thinking, but....the court is probably looking at what she did as excessive. There was no longer a threat, so I suppose it'd be no different if we were attacked here in the states, and after the threat is gone, we continue to kick and stomp the guy.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The woman admitted she used a knife to slash the attacker's face several times after he collapsed due to a series of blows from Aswin.

This certainly sounds excessive, though I agree that she needs to be given much leeway for being "in the heat of the moment". Why the boxer was found guilty isn't clear to me!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

So very, very sad and yet ... so very, very true. But that would take knowledge. ;)
Actually I think it would take heart more than knowledge. You can learn and learn everything you can but my belief is that our hearts determines the amount of control we govern ourselves with.

This is Thailand. Laws are expected to be screwy compared to western views. After all it's legal to have a child prostitute over there, so being screwed up in matters of preventing a rape shouldn't be a surprise.

And it did say "accidental murder/homicide" so at least they acknowledged that it wasn't intentional. I think that would be SOP here as well until the investigation & courts clear the matter up.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Texas she could claim she was still in fear for her life, or temporary insantiy. But in that country the laws might work very differently than here. Here I doubt any jury would convict her of murder. Assault maybe, but not murder.

Deaf

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well just goes to show you the sheep like idea that you are supposed to just let them hurt you or some such stupidity is not just something only people in the US or UK some how have begin to believe. sad really.. but there you are.

I do believe the old adage is more true. " If you Desire Peace, then Prepare for War!" for if you are not an easy victim, country, or individual, then they will go find some one else easier to attack.:tank::apv::armed::biggun:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Texas she could claim she was still in fear for her life, or temporary insantiy. But in that country the laws might work very differently than here. Here I doubt any jury would convict her of murder. Assault maybe, but not murder.

Deaf
No reasonable jury would have convicted. She wouldn't even have been prosecuted in Texas.

But we have to remember that in THAILAND, unlike the US, justice is administered by the state.....you don't GET a jury trial! Your guilt or innocence is decided by a judge or a panel of judges. It's a legalistic society.

In the US, while we have laws.....any jury can choose to disregard those laws in the interest of 'justice' and find you 'not guilty'.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I think the would-be rapist got what he deserved, it was still excessive force. The woman escaped and ran for help. The attacker could have easily been restrained until authorities arrived vs. being beaten. If he couldn't be easily restrained then additional force is warranted and the pair would have had better defense for their own actions.

The woman slashed his face several times after he collapsed. I can't see her really being "in fear for her life" at that point, angry, but not in fear for her life. But, it wasn't me, so who knows what she was really feeling.

I'm not condoning the attackers actions, but it's a good example of what can happen if we don't maintain our heads in the heat of the moment (control, as Terry said). It's up to us to know the laws of our own country (and knowledge, per Geo).

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thailand just gave rapist a free pass, basically. I guess their government endorses that sort of behavior towards women.

Apalling, really. I would have preferred the rapist had lived and instead been castrated with a brick, but killing him runs a close second.

I suppose the concept of "Personal Responsibility" has flown out the window. IMHO, when you make a decision to do something, you freely accept the consequences of that action. This idea was all but overlooked in regards to the rapist, yet seriously overdone with concern to the victim and her rescuer. While the rescuer had an opportunity to decide to act, the victim did not. She reacted to an action; therefore, her decision was not made "freely". The rapist, on the other hand, acted freely. As far as I know, nobody held a gun to his head or kidnapped his family and threatened their lives if he didn't rape that poor girl. It's BS.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why are rape and murder considered different crimes? Why is there petty theft and theft over $5000? It's like" a certain amount of crime points gets you a certain amount of punishment points. It's a stupid joke. If someone is going as far as raping somebody they need an honest psych asessment to determine whether they deserve life imprisonment (80 years, not 25) with the option of voluntary death penalty or comitted to a treatment center for life. You lose your temper and hit someone unprovoked (as in unthreatened by physical violence) you deserve 10 years first offense, second offense treat it as murder. Out on good behavior? That's not the deal.
Take theft. There's a huge difference in stealing a loaf of bread to feed a family (which ought to bring the more important issue of why the family was starving in the first place to light) and pickpocketing, shoplifitng, stealing a car etc.
If someone's a ripoff artist why do they have degrees of theft. Sure they have to look at the situation but it's the concept, not the action. Justice isn't even attempted, it's just to placate those hurt.

There are lots of criminals who do the math "ya, it's worth 8 years, I'll be out in 3 or 4 on good behavior anyway."

Last edited:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The judge ruled that Aruni acted out of anger and also fined her 100 baht for carrying a weapon in public without a valid reason.

Sounds like she had a pretty damn good reason to me!!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No reasonable jury would have convicted. She wouldn't even have been prosecuted in Texas.

In the US, while we have laws.....any jury can choose to disregard those laws in the interest of 'justice' and find you 'not guilty'.

And that is why, even with all the faults of the U.S.A., we are still the best country in the world. Sure our courts are slow but considing the rest of the world, it's light years ahead.

Deaf

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the state of Nebraska, a judge in one case told the woman that she could not use the word "rape" in court. It had to be sexual assault. Rape was too harsh of a word. Now I just don't get it, people who do these crimes are treated with kid gloves and the victims are made out to be the bad guy. Do I agree with the lady slashing the guy after he got taken out? No, but I don't blame her either. Why the boxer is in jail is over my head. Granted, he may kick harder and knows the spots to hurt someone, but he was just trying to help someone without using lethal force. Maybe this person had a weak chin. I see no fault in his actions.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why are rape and murder considered different crimes?

You're absolutely right. The thing is, rape is a form of *murder*. It kills women on the inside, and I believe the men who commit rape know that.