Please Help With Crime Victim Identification

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As many of you know, a video surfaced recently on YouTube that contained footage of the brutal beating of an African-American young man aged 22-29 in a karate dojo. A number of experts have declared online that they do not believe his injuries were survivable absent immediate medical care which he may not have received. Please follow this link and help us find this young man and discover whether or not he re-appeared after this December 13, 1984 video. If he did not, than it may be a homicide and conspiracy case for which no Statute of Limitation applies. Thanks.

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIOLENT CONTENT IN THIS LINK:

http://kmz.me/crimevictim/assault.php

http://kmz.me/crimevictim/index.php

This young man deserves justice. Please help.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate to be a naysayer, but what about statute of limitations here? Is it still prosecutable at all?

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to be a naysayer, but what about statute of limitations here? Is it still prosecutable at all?

Only if the victim did not survive; than it is murder and no Statute of Limitations applies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize the MA style being used by the victim in the (disturbing) video? I suppose it could be made-up, but he does appear to have some effective blocks and he defends against back fists and spinning back kicks very well. Also, he counter-kicked and knocked the BB aggressor on his butt at one point early in the fight, as well as launching a kick that was well over the top of the BB's head. What style does this resemble? I realize he described himself as a 'kung fu' master and wore a sash, but I'm unfamiliar with CMA and am curious.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The human body can be amaziong sometimes...the beatings it can take sometimes,, ..even from car crashes...and recover!!

Unless a his body was found? ...we can only guest his injuries...and is still alive..

YES the Sensi...should have done just enough to end the fight...and NOT BE RUTHLESS...

Aloha,

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
man if your so worried about catching this guy hire a private investigator ?

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize the MA style being used by the victim in the (disturbing) video? I suppose it could be made-up, but he does appear to have some effective blocks and he defends against back fists and spinning back kicks very well. Also, he counter-kicked and knocked the BB aggressor on his butt at one point early in the fight, as well as launching a kick that was well over the top of the BB's head. What style does this resemble? I realize he described himself as a 'kung fu' master and wore a sash, but I'm unfamiliar with CMA and am curious.

I had the same thought. In fact, I think the victim would have won, had he the right mindset or level of aggression. His problem came when he mentally conceded. Of course, it has been suggested that he may have been mentally ill or handicap.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New, edited YouTube video with stills and pleas for information. Please pass this link on:

Thank You!

I am hoping that this thread can stay about assisting the investigation (in a legally appropriate manner, of course) and not about the styles and relative skill levels of those involved excepting in a way that helps identify the victim or otherwise sheds light on this case. I believe Arnisador pointed to a thread that contains style/fighting type of discussions on this incident. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
As many of you know, a video surfaced recently on YouTube that contained footage of the brutal beating of an African-American young man aged 22-29 in a karate dojo. A number of experts have declared online that they do not believe his injuries were survivable absent immediate medical care which he may not have received. Please follow this link and help us find this young man and discover whether or not he re-appeared after this December 13, 1984 video. If he did not, than it may be a homicide and conspiracy case for which no Statute of Limitation applies. Thanks.

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIOLENT CONTENT IN THIS LINK:

http://kmz.me/crimevictim/assault.php

http://kmz.me/crimevictim/index.php

This young man deserves justice. Please help.

I honestly don't know how any 'experts' can declare anything of the sort. What I saw in the video, while graphic, wasn't any more brutal than many after school fights i've witnessed at the local ball field while I was in high school. I hardly saw any indication of a 'fatality'. Bottom line, a few 'experts' are talking out of the wrong end.

As for 'justice'.........the crime likely amounted to felony assault at most, and given that it's been 25 years......i'm suspecting the statute of limitations has long since expired.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I am sure this has not come from MartialTalk members, recent events in this case require me to clarify this plea:

This is a PLEA FOR INFORMATION and not a call for individual action and/or harassment of any concerned. Regardless of our feelings on this manner, this is a Law Enforcement issue and it is for them to handle. We may, of course, lobby them to keep this issue alive, but direct action is theirs, and theirs alone.

Again, I apologize to MartialTalk and its members for saying this as I don't believe any members here have been making harassing calls to any in these videos, only that legal and ethical requirements make it imperative that these pleas are explicitly defined as for information and lobbying of relevant authorities ONLY. Thanks.

Heck, I'm not even active in the Martial Arts anymore, but the clip of this young man being dragged out of the dojo, unconscious and trailing blood as if he were a piece of garbage have got me activated and temporarily out of martial arts "retirement".

Last edited:
OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how any 'experts' can declare anything of the sort. What I saw in the video, while graphic, wasn't any more brutal than many after school fights i've witnessed at the local ball field while I was in high school. I hardly saw any indication of a 'fatality'. Bottom line, a few 'experts' are talking out of the wrong end.

As for 'justice'.........the crime likely amounted to felony assault at most, and given that it's been 25 years......i'm suspecting the statute of limitations has long since expired.

Stomping someone's head multiple times with full body weight and with a metal object (stand in this case) as a fulcrum and leaving them with (sound on some videos posted is better than others, I admit) obviously labored breathing, bleeding, and unconsciousness is an indication that the injuries are likely to be severe and possibly fatal untreated. I am not a doctor, but those who are have weighed in and say that the least occurred were severe injuries. Remember Natasha Richardson?

"Justice" isn't a parenthesis, sir, and Virginia doesn't have a Statute on serious felonies. You're an LEO, IIRC.

I'm glad to see you online again, but I must disagree with you here.

Last edited:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stomping someone's head multiple times with full body weight and with a metal object (stand in this case) as a fulcrum and leaving them with (sound on some videos posted is better than others, I admit) obviously labored breathing, bleeding, and unconsciousness is an indication that the injuries are likely to be severe and possibly fatal untreated. I am not a doctor, but those who are have weighed in and say that the least occurred were severe injuries. Remember Natasha Richardson?

"Justice" isn't a parenthesis, sir, and Virginia doesn't have a Statute on serious felonies. You're an LEO, IIRC.

I'm glad to see you online again, but I must disagree with you here.

Obviously labored breathing is a sign of unconsciousness. I saw no indication of a fatal injury. If they've got an unsolved murder we'd have known about it by now.

I did just check, though, and Virginia is one of the 7 states in the US with no statute on felonies.......so they 'might' get these guys charged.

Personally I don't get worked up about fist fights between grown men that happened the year Bon Jovi debuted. The only difference between this video and Friday night at the bar two blocks down is 1) They were wearing Gi's and 2) There was video tape.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I don't get worked up about fist fights between grown men that happened the year Bon Jovi debuted. The only difference between this video and Friday night at the bar two blocks down is 1) They were wearing Gi's and 2) There was video tape.

It wasn't a "fist fight"; it was a pre-meditated assault of a possibly mentally challenged young man who made very clear that he didn't want to fight.

Time passed = Zero relevance.

Again, IIRC, you and I usually agreed on such issues back when I was an active poster here years ago. I do respect your opinion, but must disagree on this.

Clarification: the consensus is that it is not known whether he survived the assault and NOT that his injuries weren't "survivable".

Last edited:

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
man some one is putting to much on it ! look dude if any guy walks in to a dojo asking for it most likely he is gonna get it ? there was no audio to that video so i would have to hear his pleas for mercy to actually believe he didnt want to fight anymore and who ever said that he wouldnt of survived such an attack probably has never been in a ruff spot ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBqN...8ECB4B6B4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why this video should emerge all this time later? It's turned up all over the place even on a UK MMA site I go on with the poster, a newbie, asking if we recognise anyone! It just seems strange that it turns up now.
The other thing that confuses me is that on one hand the OP is asking for anyone who recognises these people to come forward and then says " I don't believe any members here have been making harassing calls to any in these videos" does that mean the people in the video are identified now?

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think he was referring in part to the instructor and the black belt student, whose names have been released and are probably contactable.

Styg, like you said, the difference in this video and any other fight is that they were wearing gi's, but it is that crucial fact that separates this assault from the other ones anywhere else. When you walk into the dojo, you are expected to present yourself in a certain manner, and black belts should have a degree of decorum that sets an example for the rest of the students.

That this man was mentally handicapped, I have no doubt, but it is possible he was no more handicapped than any other bozo who walks into a school with a few do-it-yourself karate chapters udner his belt or maybe a few years of another style. He tipped me off fairly quickly that he was not all that skilled when he would not identify his teacher, would not demonstrate on the black belt, and was, apparently, wearing a tie to the dojo.

It saddens me to think that there are dojos out there with this mentality, and I hope that somebody brings these men (all of them in the dojo) to justice, and the truth behind what happened to the victim comes to light.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
man some one is putting to much on it ! look dude if any guy walks in to a dojo asking for it most likely he is gonna get it ? there was no audio to that video so i would have to hear his pleas for mercy to actually believe he didnt want to fight anymore and who ever said that he wouldnt of survived such an attack probably has never been in a ruff spot ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBqN...8ECB4B6B4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4
Bobby Joe Blythe ran the dojo.

This guy was brought in by the Dojo to beat up. (He didn't challenge. He was initially trying to demonstrate a technique with no contact when the BB started in on him.) They apparently made a habit of challenging drunks etc.

The guy also verbally gave up well before he was stomped on the ground.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e55_1250787987 (This one has sound.)

Latest Discussions