Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Police beating on tape 0:52

Surveillance video shows a Passaic, New Jersey, police officer beating a man who was standing on a street corner.
Source: WABC | Added June 5, 2009

• Story Highlights
  • Footage shows officer slam Ronnie Holloway onto car hood, beat him with baton
  • Holloway says he exchanged no words with officer before he pounced on him
  • Holloway's mother says he is schizophrenic
  • Passaic Police charged Holloway with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct
CNN) -- Surveillance video shows a Passaic, New Jersey, police officer beating a 49-year-old man standing idly on a street corner.
corner_wire_BL.gif

Surveillance tape from Lawrence's Grill and Bar in Passaic on May 29 shows a police car pull up to Ronnie Holloway, who is standing still on the curb outside the restaurant. After a few moments Holloway zips up his sweatshirt -- because the female officer in the car instructed him to do so, Holloway said.

At that point, the other officer in the vehicle, Joseph R. Rios III, exits the car, grabs Holloway and slams him onto the hood of the police car. He then pummels Holloway with his fist and baton.

Holloway said he had exchanged no words with the officer before he pounced on him.

After the incident, police locked Holloway in a holding cell for the night and did not provide treatment for his injuries, according to Holloway's attorney, Nancy Lucianna. Those injuries included a torn cornea and extensive bruising to the left side of his body, she said.

New Jersey cop beats man in unprovoked attack caught on video

video of attack at links.
http://www.cnn.com/video/

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Going on just was I saw and read, I'd say that a few people have some serious explaining to do. Unless there is more to the story, this was way over the top.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rodney King was a long time ago, and these idiots still don't know about video cameras?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Disgusting. I respect cops, my best friend's dad is a cop and I practically grew up in that house but for every one like him there's the type that does this crap or slams me against the wall when I'm out for my morning run saying "You fit a description."

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Disgusting. I respect cops, my best friend's dad is a cop and I practically grew up in that house but for every one like him there's the type that does this crap or slams me against the wall when I'm out for my morning run saying "You fit a description."
No, there really isn't, and with that face, who could blame them?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to know what the LEO's reasoning was for doing what he did.

I am not siding with either, I want more information first.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks bad for the cop. I just wish there was audio. It's easy to see a 50 sec video clip and make assumptions. I just wish there was more.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me ask this.
If the guy called the cop a "dirty junk sucking pig", was that beating justified?
If the guy spit on the car, was that beating justified?
If the guy whipped out his winkie, and showered the car, was that beating justified?

Just pulling 3 things out of thin air here.

I'd like to know the official statement however before I pass judgment.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me ask this.
If the guy called the cop a "dirty junk sucking pig", was that beating justified?
If the guy spit on the car, was that beating justified?
If the guy whipped out his winkie, and showered the car, was that beating justified?

Just pulling 3 things out of thin air here.

I'd like to know the official statement however before I pass judgment.
Good point. Ihate to see this type of thing. I've known many cops in the past and MOST of them have been decent people who care about the people they are sworn to protect. When I see an abuse of power, it pisses me off, because I know it will be used, by some to paint all cops with the same brush.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why dont we just make a "bad cop no doughnut" forum and put all these threads into them?

I'm starting to wonder about the point of all of them...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point. Ihate to see this type of thing. I've known many cops in the past and MOST of them have been decent people who care about the people they are sworn to protect. When I see an abuse of power, it pisses me off, because I know it will be used, by some to paint all cops with the same brush.

Yup...and that tape definitely looks bad. The thing is, what am I supposed to do about it? That sort of behavior is not tolerated in MY dept. That guy, if the truth is indeed as bad as that tape looks would either be on a suspension so long he would loose his home due to lack of funds or he would be fired. And fire people we have...and for less. Thats the best I can do. I cant go to NJ and do ANYTHING about that guy.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks bad for the cop. I just wish there was audio. It's easy to see a 50 sec video clip and make assumptions. I just wish there was more.

Generally speaking, security surveillance cameras can't record audio and still be compliant with the law. (Audio recordings fall under wiretapping regulations and require consent).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,
Remember, please, to debate the post & not the poster. Personal attacks never further your argument, and generally, the mud you fling just ends up getting you dirty...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I post these because people need to know who the scum bags are. I post the "good cop" stories as I find them because people need to know who the good guys are, and that the bad cops aren't the rule, but the exception. I'm currently looking at a list of cop/dhs/rentacop abuse stories that scroll for pages, all from this year. If I posted half of them, you'd think I hated cops. It's hard to find the attaboys, and I hunt for those specifically to balance things out. It's also why I ask for leo feedback as half the outrage videos I find can often be balanced by the voice of experience. You guys know what's acceptable contact, etc, and have a perspective into these things that is invaluable to others understanding. No, I don't expect anyone to run to NJ etc and correct the fool here, but to me, it's important that people know that these are the exceptions, not the rules. A balance here, when other sites just want to turn into cop bash fests.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why dont we just make a "bad cop no doughnut" forum and put all these threads into them?

I'm starting to wonder about the point of all of them...
I've considered it. I also think it would turn into a cop-bash mudpit real fast, and that's not my goal.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I am becoming a bit sensitive...its just that most cases where I see people posting up one of these situations after another its intended as an indictment against ALL US law enforcement...or the nebulous "cops" category. Hell some of our Brit friends here seem to be taking them as the rule vs. the example based on some conversations I have had. As a cop I just don't know what I'm expected to say. It's to the point where I want to just assign my opinion as:

A. Justified
B.Unjustified
C. Need more info.

And then bow out....

This one "looks" like a B to me. But Im always leaning toward C because I just dont trust the media to present all the info in these cases.

Its probably why my brethren seem to refrain from commenting on them.

I cant seem to resist.

Last edited: