"Other forms"

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey!! You guys are hijacking my thread!!!! :mad:
But I guess I am the one that first asked what Rohai was, so maybe it was my fault....

carry on! :p

(While we are at it, what would you say would be the karate forms that tkd-ers "should" know? Would Rohai be one of them?)

uh-oh now I really hijacked my own thread!!

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say Kanku Dai/Kong Sang Koon. It is the root Kata for Itosu derived lineages, which means it is a root kata for TKD. (I'm a Tang Soo Do guy.... we're like the missing link between Japanese and Korean martial arts!)

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the first video you posted of the White Crane, callled 3 battles, which is exactly what Sanchin translates as.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say Kanku Dai/Kong Sang Koon. It is the root Kata for Itosu derived lineages, which means it is a root kata for TKD. (I'm a Tang Soo Do guy.... we're like the missing link between Japanese and Korean martial arts!)

I think this is a 100% correct assessment of the relationship amongst the different KMAs on the one hand and karate on the other. I'd have to say that the Pinan katas should be learned separately as well, since so many of the subsequences in various Palgwe hyungs come directly from the Pinans, leaving aside the somewhat vexed question of the relationship between the Pinan set on the one hand and Kusanku on the other.

My view of Tang Soo Do is that it's a snapshot of the modern KMAs in the immediate post-Kwan era (the period, that is, when there was no longer the free and easy, open experimentation with different Okinawan and Japanese forms and techs which seems to have characterized the `original five' Kwan era; by the time you get to Tang Soo Do (as a separate art, not just the generic translation of Karate as `China hand' that was taught, and advertised as such, by the early Kwans), you have the whole political conflict between Hwang Kee and Gen. Choi and all that incredibly nasty political stuff we all know (a bit) about). TSD is very close to what TKD once was, and, if I had my own druthers, would be again.

Kodiak61

White Belt
Reaction score
At the Dan levels we teach Batsai (Shaolin); Chulki [cho-gee] (Okinawan/Shaolin); Nope [no-pay] (Okinawan), Sip Soo(Shaolin), Youn Bi (Shaolin), Kong San Kun (Kung Fu). For the Keup levels we teach the Palgues and Koreo.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the Dan levels we teach Batsai (Shaolin); Chulki [cho-gee] (Okinawan/Shaolin); Nope [no-pay] (Okinawan), Sip Soo(Shaolin), Youn Bi (Shaolin), Kong San Kun (Kung Fu). For the Keup levels we teach the Palgues and Koreo.

I like that curriculum, Kodiak!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other BB forms that we do are Bassai & Yumbee. Those are the ones you may be familiar with. We also do Da lee Hyung IL-Sam Jang. These are poomsae that my GM & his wife have created. They test one's balance & are a lot of fun.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know, Batsai is not shaolin, it is okinawan (search for Bassai Dai) nor is Sip Soo (Search for Sip Soo and Jutte). They are both karate forms, which may or may not come from china, but definitely are not practiced in China anymore.

Latest Discussions