My Latest Kenpo Forms

Stuarto81

Brown Belt
Supporting Member
Hello everyone, as many of you know I have been learning the Nick Cerio Kenpo system for over two years now. I wanted to share the latest forms I have been practicing and how I feel about them. I know a few of you have practiced this system in the past and would love to hear any of your personal thoughts on these forms and which ones you enjoy.

Cat 1 - Definitely a big change from the rigid Pinan forms. Alot more flowing movement with cat stances. This form introduces rising/upward block with front punch.
Cat 2 - More cat stances with some combinations making up part of it. Involves some grabs with throws followed by rising block and punch.
Circle of the Tiger - From what I've been told, this is a creation of Professor Nick Cerio (I personally love this form and do it often)
Statue of the Crane - I believe this form has Kung Fu origins with an emphasis on balance. Lots of simultaneous front punch with upward blocks. The crane stance is prominent in this form and requires good balance.

Personally, I find these forms easier to do than the Pinan forms. Maybe it is because the Pinans are so rigid and require you to have precise movement where in the Cats there is room for play. I will update this thread as I continue to learn new forms and level up in my journey to black belt. Currently working towards Brown 2nd Kyu.
 
Last edited:
I didn’t know Cerio Kenpo was still a thing
As Buka mentioned, it is around in NE. There are a number of Cerio Kenpo schools in Massachusetts. There is also Studio Unis in Quebec which practices this Kenpo system.
 
Hello everyone, as many of you know I have been learning the Nick Cerio Kenpo system for over two years now. I wanted to share the latest forms I have been practicing and how I feel about them. I know a few of you have practiced this system in the past and would love to hear any of your personal thoughts on these forms and which ones you enjoy.

Cat 1 - Definitely a big change from the rigid Pinan forms. Alot more flowing movement with cat stances. This form introduces rising/upward block with front punch.
Cat 2 - More cat stances with some combinations making up part of it. Involves some grabs with throws followed by rising block and punch.
Circle of the Tiger - From what I've been told, this is a creation of Professor Nick Cerio (I personally love this form and do it often)
Statue of the Crane - I believe this form has Kung Fu origins with an emphasis on balance. Lots of simultaneous front punch with upward blocks. The crane stance is prominent in this form and requires good balance.

Personally, I find these forms easier to do than the Pinan forms. Maybe it is because the Pinans are so rigid and require you to have precise movement where in the Cats there is room for play. I will update this thread as I continue to learn new forms and level up in my journey to black belt. Currently working towards Brown 2nd Kyu.
Nice to hear that Nick Cerio's system is carrying on. You are right - the Cat forms are fundamentally different from the Pinan series. The Pinans were imported from Okinawan karate, and are 'old style' forms. Forms like this work on a fundamental movement vocabulary. The movements are more generally useful and Bunkai / application analysis is more general as the movements can serve a variety of purposes. The Cat forms are based on the kata of Karazenpo Goshinjutsu, which are based on the Palamas sets of Kajukenbo. Those are more 'new style' forms, much like Ed Parker's where the forms are essentially techniques connected by transitional movements. These types of forms have more specific applications, and flow in a less methodical sense. Statue of the Crane is based on the Okinawan form Rohai. George Pesare, Nick Cerio's teacher, at one time just called it 'Kata 7'. Ironically, the Palamas sets were sometimes called 'pinions', which would make for a really confusing list for you.
 
Is this "Tiger and Crane" form?

This looks like a tiger form. I can definitely see similarities in the movements. This was probably part of the inspiration for the some of the forms Professor Cerio created and adopted into his system. Circle of the Tiger was a form created by Professor Cerio. Matt mentions some of the origins behind the Cat forms and Crane above.
 
This looks like a tiger form. I can definitely see similarities in the movements. This was probably part of the inspiration for some of the forms Professor Cerio created and adopted into his system. Circle of the Tiger was a form created by Professor Cerio. Matt mentions some of the origins behind the Cat forms and Crane above. Some of it definitely has kung fu origins, Statue of the Crane being one of them
 
This looks like a tiger form. I can definitely see similarities in the movements. This was probably part of the inspiration for the some of the forms Professor Cerio created and adopted into his system. Circle of the Tiger was a form created by Professor Cerio. Matt mentions some of the origins behind the Cat forms and Crane above.
This form is Fu Hok. Common in Hung Gar. My system has it as well.
 
This form is Fu Hok. Common in Hung Gar. My system has it as well.
Some people said that the southern CMA "Hung Gar" came from the northern CMA "Hung Quan". But both forms have completely different flavor. Can people tell the major difference in these 2 videos?

Southern CMA Hung Gar:


Northern CMA Hung Quan:

 
Some people said that the southern CMA "Hung Gar" came from the northern CMA "Hung Quan". But both forms have completely different flavor. Can people tell the major difference in these 2 videos?

Southern CMA Hung Gar:


Northern CMA Hung Quan:

Second one has higher stance and jumping. Hung Gar uses lower stance and less jumps. I don’t think the Hung Gar people will agree with you that Hung Quan was the origin of Hung Gar.
 
Second one has higher stance and jumping. Hung Gar uses lower stance and less jumps. I don’t think the Hung Gar people will agree with you that Hung Quan was the origin of Hung Gar.
Some people said that and I don't agree with. They both have different DNA.

The southern CMA form has "1 stance with many arms moves". The northern CMA form only has "1 stance with 1 arm move".
 
Some people said that and I don't agree with. They both have different DNA.

The southern CMA form has "1 stance with many arms moves". The northern CMA form only has "1 stance with 1 arm move".
They don’t appear related by anything other than the word ā€œHungā€
 
Back
Top