New Forum Idea

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So... Maybe 3 subforums here would be my suggestion; one for public safety, one for private security, and one for general LE/Security related discussions. (The first two could be merged -- but there are good reasons for them being separate.) BUT... there's that whole issue of someone claiming to be a cop, who isn't. I've participated in forums other places that didn't require verification; sometimes they were self-policing (sorry for the pun). The real cops quickly managed to uncover the fakes, and often, publicly embarass them. H'mm... Kind of disruptive to peace & tranquility here, along with the issue of fraud bashing. So... what would I suggest?

Yes, that makes sense to me...

Either institute a verifcation process on those who choose to identify themselves as cops -- which could quickly become time consuming, and probably wouldn't work for private security people. Or a disclaimer making it clear that any information may or may not be accurate, that there is no way to know for certain that anyone claiming to be a LEO/security professional really is, buyer beware, etc.

So... those are my thoughts.

Good ideas....A simple PM to Bob Hubbard or another member of the Steering Committee stating your name and department so if a question arises they can verify your idenity...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good ideas....A simple PM to Bob Hubbard or another member of the Steering Committee stating your name and department so if a question arises they can verify your idenity...

The catch about verification is that it takes time to actually verify someone. You and I can bounce a question or two off of each other, and have a pretty good idea we are what we claim; just about any cop can. (OK... maybe not feds! :wink:) Sometimes, even with the department info, verifying someone can be tricky. That's why I suggested a disclaimer along the lines of buyer beware... And, if there is a problem, it can be addressed down the line, much like suspicions about banned users signing up under a new ID.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Not sure how I could've missed this thread earlier but wanted to voice my support for the suggested forum(s). I've worked contract security for 9 years now, companies like APS, which was bought out by Pinkerton, which was bought out by Securitas, who I work for now in Denver. Have had a variety of positions, although never one where I had to deal forcefully with ppl, except of rare occasions. I give a lot of props to the LEOs/Bouncers on MT and in the offline world. I wanted to go into law enforcement til my college years, then realized I didn't have the mentality for it. However, sometimes you still have to deal with ppl, so I know a forum devoted to this field would be very beneficial, even if I only learn from other's experience.

-Of course, I learn as well thru all the other forums on MT. Keep me laughing, keep my thinking, MT keeps me sane.

Andrew

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The catch about verification is that it takes time to actually verify someone. You and I can bounce a question or two off of each other, and have a pretty good idea we are what we claim; just about any cop can. (OK... maybe not feds! :wink:) Sometimes, even with the department info, verifying someone can be tricky. That's why I suggested a disclaimer along the lines of buyer beware... And, if there is a problem, it can be addressed down the line, much like suspicions about banned users signing up under a new ID.

Makes even better sense to me...I've checked out a few LEO forums under different names..All they wanted to talk about was guns...This might be a sucess here...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Not sure how I could've missed this thread earlier but wanted to voice my support for the suggested forum(s). I've worked contract security for 9 years now, companies like APS, which was bought out by Pinkerton, which was bought out by Securitas, who I work for now in Denver. Have had a variety of positions, although never one where I had to deal forcefully with ppl, except of rare occasions. I give a lot of props to the LEOs/Bouncers on MT and in the offline world. I wanted to go into law enforcement til my college years, then realized I didn't have the mentality for it. However, sometimes you still have to deal with ppl, so I know a forum devoted to this field would be very beneficial, even if I only learn from other's experience.

-Of course, I learn as well thru all the other forums on MT. Keep me laughing, keep my thinking, MT keeps me sane.

Andrew

I know someone who knicked £54,000,000 from Securitas in England. he's a fighter called Lee Murray, he's living the good life in Morroco now. Don't admire him btw he's the successor to the infamous Krays.
http://mmajunkie.com/2007/02/22/ufc-fighter-lee-murray-alleged-105-million-robber-jailed-in-morocco/

I think a 'security' personnel type forum would be good, I'm not really interested in a police one as I like to get away from shop talk though something along the lines of this thread would be good, if you know what i mean. it would be hard for me to prove who I work for as I'm with the Ministry of Defence and when they aren't losing laptops full of confidential details of people are very cagy.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a 'security' personnel type forum would be good, I'm not really interested in a police one as I like to get away from shop talk though something along the lines of this thread would be good, if you know what i mean. it would be hard for me to prove who I work for as I'm with the Ministry of Defence and when they aren't losing laptops full of confidential details of people are very cagy.

Yes there are time when I too avoid shoptalk, but there are questions out there that need to be addressed and I don't mind answering questions..I think between the group here we detect a wanna be..You really wore for the M.O.D?..Cool..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've seen maybe three verification processes:
1. Give your info, and if it seems like you fit the definition, you're verified.
2. Give your info, and send along supporting doc (like a photocopy of your creds), and when received and reviewed, you're verified.
3. Give your info, someone actually contacts your agency, and verifies that you work there in an appropriate capacity.

I've seen some hybrids, like having a known person vouch for you being an alternative to the verification process.

As I said before -- there are problems with each, and MT is not a law-enforcement site. The problems grow even more complex when you get into security professionals; we can define a cop (full authority to enforce the law & make arrests). What is a "security professional?" Does the receptionist who looks at an ID badge count? Bouncer? Store LP? Private investigator? Body guard? Is the president of a security company still involved in security work? What about the vice-president of a non-security company which employs proprietary guards & investigators?

In my opinion, the best approach HERE is to put a warning out that this is still the internet; people may not be what they claim to be, so buyer beware. And -- if it comes to a time that there is a problem with a person's claims (e.g., a person claims to be a cop, but something they say doesn't come across making sense), it's time to report to the mods (maybe select a few mods to handle this, who have the requisite training/contacts), and the mods determine if further verification is needed. In other words -- about the same as happens if someone seems to be a problem anywhere else on MT.

I think that there are definitely enough LEOs and security professionals here to pick up on someone who's not what they claim, and to let the area kind of self-police in that regard. After all, there have been a couple of folks here that I've PMed something to the effect of "are you cop? So am I."

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion, the best approach HERE is to put a warning out that this is still the internet; people may not be what they claim to be, so buyer beware. And -- if it comes to a time that there is a problem with a person's claims (e.g., a person claims to be a cop, but something they say doesn't come across making sense), it's time to report to the mods (maybe select a few mods to handle this, who have the requisite training/contacts), and the mods determine if further verification is needed. In other words -- about the same as happens if someone seems to be a problem anywhere else on MT.

I think that there are definitely enough LEOs and security professionals here to pick up on someone who's not what they claim, and to let the area kind of self-police in that regard. After all, there have been a couple of folks here that I've PMed something to the effect of "are you cop? So am I."

I agree with ya AGAIN jks..All good points..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with ya AGAIN jks..All good points..

I'm glad folks like my ideas...

One more thought... I see no need for someone to identify their occupation, unless they either choose to do so, or start making claims or giving advice. In other words -- if you don't want to say what you do, whether that's cop or janitor, you don't need to.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes..Be honest about your occupation folks, there is no shame in whatever job you hold..I done numerous jobs including dishwasher before I became a cop...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like it.
I think we'll go the voluntary listing route & use a disclaimer, with the caveat that if you claim to be a LEO and are found to be lying, you'll be a-banned and b-possibly have your info turned over to the real LEO's for them to deal with, as I think impersonating an officer is a crime. ??

I might add, I've several cops in the family, trained at a school that has several more, and know numerous cross the US and Canada. Not to mention other LE branches. ;) Oh, and we have a few on staff/former staff too. So, we're covered. ;)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like it.
I think we'll go the voluntary listing route & use a disclaimer, with the caveat that if you claim to be a LEO and are found to be lying, you'll be a-banned and b-possibly have your info turned over to the real LEO's for them to deal with

Sounds good to me Bob

as I think impersonating an officer is a crime

Yep...

I might add, I've several cops in the family, trained at a school that has several more, and know numerous cross the US and Canada. Not to mention other LE branches. ;) Oh, and we have a few on staff/former staff too. So, we're covered. ;)

Excellent..Looks like we got the bases covered...

OP
Bobby135

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I am glad this idea has recieved such positive support from everyone. I look at it as if it helps 1 person in one situation then it was worthwhile. Thanks everyone for your support.

Bobby

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, were we going with 1 or 2 sub forums?
what are the two sub-forums going to be?
1 for LEO's
1 for general security (i.e. bouncers etc)

I think you should actually make 3 sub forums and have one titled War Stories or such to group stories from current and former LEO's/bouncers

B

Latest Discussions