New Forum Idea

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This one goes out to Bob and the other almighty's that run the Universe that is Martial Talk. I wanted to get some thoughts on developing a new forum for people such as bouncers, security staff etc. I bet there are a fair amount of people on this site that work second jobs of that nature. Thoughts anyone????

Thanks
Bobby

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a winner.. I work in Law Enforcement and Security for my 2nd job. I'd love to swap stories, control stuff etc..

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool idea—wish I'd thought of it! :)

As Geoff Thompson, experienced karateka, dojo instructor, and legendary `hard man' bouncer/club bouncer/security manager makes clear in his book The Pavement Arena, there is absolutely nothing like the world of professional unarmed no-rules combat to throw the technical content of the TMAs into sharp relief. GT emphasizes in his books, repeatedly, that the TMAs are peerless skill sets for the kind of professionals the proposed forum would focus on, but that these skills have to be both focused and trained for just those purposes to be fully effective. We have a number of people on the board who've worked in this field and it would be great to have a place where their particular kind of insight was given the full focus of attention.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't General Self-Defense the same thing, we have that here. You have a General Martial Arts and then this section, what good would another forum do except split up the posts to too many different forums, thus negating the conversations that take place all around.

That's just my view on it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am all for a more specialized forum and feel that we have more than enough people in that area to warrant one.
icon14.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked as a bouncer for many years and as a security officer too...Currently in law enforcement...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll bring the suggestion to the Steering Board. :)

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
It could be a good thing or it could not. It depends on the postings..No one wants to hear about a bar fight or brawl and who did or didn't get their *** kicked and all of this
type of crap...Someone who is in the protection business and has some real bona-fide
type of celebs or high profile type of clients might be of interest, but not the everyday knock down drag out brawl...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could be a good thing or it could not. It depends on the postings..No one wants to hear about a bar fight or brawl and who did or didn't get their *** kicked and all of this
type of crap...Someone who is in the protection business and has some real bona-fide
type of celebs or high profile type of clients might be of interest, but not the everyday knock down drag out brawl...

Agreed. But given the nature of the board, I think you're mostly going to hear from people like Drac, Rich, and other accomplished MAists who's worked the floor of enough clubs and had enough run-ins with hostile, aggressive jerks to have worked out just what enounters with this sort of character typically involve (from an SD point of view). And that kind of information could be very useful, because those are the very same jerks that people who aren't in the protection/security line of work are probably going to be looking at when things start going sideways.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I spent some time in security, would be an LEO today if it wasn't for the Shaolin long fist staff form related broken ankle the week before the agility.

Sounds good to me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Outstanding idea!! Thanks for suggesting it Bobby! :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting idea.
So, a section for the experienced to discuss event security and crowd safety?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every year our Kempo have a Seminar for all the Instructors. many sub-classs on kinds of self-defense stuffs. All topics0- relating to martial arts.

One of the Instructors has a personal security business and did sub-class on how to do security for high profile people. The planning, the techniques to use, how to stand next to them, how to handle crowds, what to do if a situtions come up...back up plans/exits and so on. VERY interesting and a great learning experience.

Simple thing as where to stand ?..to protect the person...if you are carrying a gun? ..this is important. How far or near and so on...off course each instructor/schools will have there own thoughts on this too...it will be nice to hear from others on a SPECIALIZE SITE/FORUMS!

Go for it! is this election year? ...I vote OK...yes...am over 18 years old, most time normal, no criminal records, non- drinker, non-smoker, like to fish, earth traveler,tax payer, part-time martial artist...Aloha

NOTE: full time martial artist votes will have "full votes"...are you a "full"

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, Every year our Kempo have a Seminar for all the Instructors. many sub-classs on kinds of self-defense stuffs. All topics0- relating to martial arts.

One of the Instructors has a personal security business and did sub-class on how to do security for high profile people. The planning, the techniques to use, how to stand next to them, how to handle crowds, what to do if a situtions come up...back up plans/exits and so on. VERY interesting and a great learning experience.

Simple thing as where to stand ?..to protect the person...if you are carrying a gun? ..this is important. How far or near and so on...off course each instructor/schools will have there own thoughts on this too...it will be nice to hear from others on a SPECIALIZE SITE/FORUMS!

Go for it! is this election year? ...I vote OK...yes...am over 18 years old, most time normal, no criminal records, non- drinker, non-smoker, like to fish, earth traveler,tax payer, part-time martial artist...Aloha

NOTE: full time martial artist votes will have "full votes"...are you a "full"

I'm confused. I thought you were a Judo Player.

Latest Discussions