Caught On Tape: Suspect Shot, Killed By Police

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Caught On Tape: Suspect Shot, Killed By Police

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/34377354.html#

OIS (Officer involved shooting) I am glad that the officer won this battle and have to say that he showed considerably more patience than I would have, but that is why I never pursued a career in Law Enforcement LOL.

I think that the officer was correct in dealing with the conflict as he did and making it home (most important). My intent on posting the link is not so much for a 20/20 hindsight second by second criticism of the officer or his training but 1. merely a chance for some conversation and 2 a chance for people to see how quickly a situation that an officer deals with perhaps thousands of times (making contact with person of interest and such) can go bad and 3 so that people can better understand an officers insistence on removing their hands from their pockets and keeping them out while conversing with the officer.

The tape shows a second odd fellow pacing back and forth in the background from the initial hands on contact to the shooting. I could not tell what his story was? I think the officer does a good job of creating distance, which is likely the standard reaction taught during a weapons encounter. I wonder instead of creating distance if once he went hands on if a ‘hard with authority” type of take down might not have taken the fight out of the suspect. Watching the suspect he didn’t seem aggressive (attacking) but more egressive (wanting to get away to get space) a hard in control take down might have taken the opportunity and more important the will of the suspect to fight. One of the differences between bouncing which I do have experience doing and police work which I do NOT have experience in it seems to me, is that as a bouncer when I went hands on with somebody my mind was already made up, they were walking out either on their own or with my ‘help’. Where as a police officer goes hands on with people but may not be making an arrest so that might increase their reaction time between fight or not? Creating distance might give the officer a moment to get his fight game on while giving the suspect a second chance to submit? I have not given it much thought so am just guessing right now.

LEO’s God Bless you for doing a tough often thankless job, stay safe and make it home

Regards
Brian King

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A righteous shoot... no arguments, no question here.
Not a pleasant thing for the officer to go through. You can hear his voice was shaky after the shooting.
Kudos to the officer for doing his job and doing it correctly.

nuff said from this fence post.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The scary thing for me while watching and listening was the last audio from dispatch.

"Where are you?"

I agree that the pacing guy would have me worried. Was he the owner of the vehicle?

Why did he not drop or find cover when shots were fired?

I think the person pacing may not have been completely normal. I am not sure but his reactions were anything but normal from start to finish.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The scary thing for me while watching and listening was the last audio from dispatch.

"Where are you?"

I agree that the pacing guy would have me worried. Was he the owner of the vehicle?

Why did he not drop or find cover when shots were fired?

I think the person pacing may not have been completely normal. I am not sure but his reactions were anything but normal from start to finish.
Agreed, very odd as if he knew what was going to go down or simply just didn't care.
As for the "where are you?" yeah makes you wonder. I've been seeing police vehicles in my city that have a small conspicuous knob somewhere along the right rear fender and I knew that to be a GPS transponder (?) so that an officer's car can be located instantly anywhere within range. Seems not all departments have this yet.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed, very odd as if he knew what was going to go down or simply just didn't care.
As for the "where are you?" yeah makes you wonder. I've been seeing police vehicles in my city that have a small conspicuous knob somewhere along the right rear fender and I knew that to be a GPS transponder (?) so that an officer's car can be located instantly anywhere within range. Seems not all departments have this yet.

Most (* Those I am familiar with *) police procedures usually have the officer call in the location when they leave their vehicle. In particular if they call it in for a reason. Also if they are dispatched to a specifc location, they call in that they are on location.

Now I could see this being an issue of the dispatch sending an officer out, and then getting busy. Then the officer calling that he is on location. the dispatch acknowledges and then moves on. Now she could look it up, but if she has been busy then it might be in her notes before it goes into the log. So, it might be faster for her to ask and verify so there are no mistakes.

Latest Discussions