What is

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best way of really defending yourself? We all have out ideals and people want to believe so much is there really the best way or is it just a figure of speech for those poor soul paying big dollars to instructor to feel some sort of confidence?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eat healthy, regular excercise, enjoy your job, be around people you love, trust the people around you and don't sweat the little things.

Will keep you safer and healthier then any amount of skill in hurting people will.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way of really defending yourself? We all have out ideals and people want to believe so much is there really the best way or is it just a figure of speech for those poor soul paying big dollars to instructor to feel some sort of confidence?
Once we get the common sense answers like avoid dangerous places, verbal de-escalation, and so on... And the half-smartass, if true, answers like "a gun"...

There's not a "best" way to defend yourself, because the best way will depend on the circumstances. In training for the real world, there are some things that I consider to be hallmarks of approaches that are likely to work. First -- look for some sort of stress innoculation/adrenal stress type of training. In situations that are reasonably representative of the real world. Too many "self defense experts" have never been under any sort of pressure... let alone close to a real fight for their life. Second -- look out for complex techniques. Fine motor control is one of the first things to go under real pressure... Now, this can be countered by training (muscle memory via repitition as well as stress innoculation), but it can't be discounted. If the supposed self-defense expert is teaching complicated, intricate techniques for self-defense to newbies... run away. Third -- look for systems that admit reality: bad guys are armed, don't attack according to plan, techniques fail, and so on. If you're hearing "this technique will work everytime"... bad. If you're hearing "do this... then if it doesn't work... try this" -- good.

Notice I've not named any particular techniques or styles. Self-defense is really a training mindset; it can be applied to any style, and any technique. Some may turn out to be more rapidly assimilated for self-defense, or more widely applicable -- but that doesn't mean they're useless. After all, the "original" (to distinguish them from recently invented - not compiled, but invented) martial systems consisted of material passed down by the WINNERS of real fights -- since the losers often weren't around to pass on their ideas!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there a "best way?" I believe there is; however, it has very little to do with what style/system you study.
In my opinion, the best way is to have a small number of techniques (upper-body strikes, lower-body strikes, standup-grapling/clinch work, groundfighting, weapons defense and offense) that you have trained enough that you can use them spontaneously and flow seamlessly from one to the next without any disparity between the different "skill-sets." Many people make the mistake of training techniques that require a high degree of finesse and mandate constant practice to even remember them, much less be able to use them. Remember, these techniques must also hold up under pressure, therefore I personally prefer techniques that rely on easily learned gross motor-skill type movements. These techniques will not only be easier to retain, but will degrade less when you are under pressure.

Even more importantly however, is the issue of mindset. If you cannot "flip the switch" it doesn't matter what you know. When the time comes that you have to fight, you need to be able to be aggressive, decisive, ruthless, and cool under pressure. These mental/psychological qualities will do more to determine whether you live or die, whether you're the victor or the victim, than which system you've studied.

This is why I believe it really depends more on the instructor and the student than the style. There are those that can take a less than ideal system and distill it down to a good fighting method because they understand what aspects of the system they are going to need, and which ones are best left in the dojo. In contrast, you have the people who just go along, practicing what they're taught with no consideration given to whether it's really going to work or not. This is why you have martial-artists who end up getting their butts kicked by someone with little or no training. That said, even a "good" system is not the final answer. If you lack the proper mindset, even solid practical material won't do you any good.

I think it reall boils down to having a true understanding of the realities of a criminal threat. Once you understand the problem, you can undertake to find your solution to that problem.

edit to add--jks, looks like we cross-posted :D

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly as stated here. The mindset is your best weapon in any encounter you may have. Train to switch that mind on and off for danger is the best technique you can learn.

My instructor was great at this, she was soft spoken and mild manner, but go into learning techniques and scenarios for defending and she was a mad woman (I dont' mean insane), but determined that she was going to level you before you levelled her. She as mentioned worked on 8 - 10 techniques the most and had them ingrained that no matter what, they would be used instinctively without thought. She was dang good at that.

So, train your mind when training that their is a time for learning and a time for defending and get use to turning that switch on and off as stated here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even more importantly however, is the issue of mindset. If you cannot "flip the switch" it doesn't matter what you know. When the time comes that you have to fight, you need to be able to be aggressive, decisive, ruthless, and cool under pressure. These mental/psychological qualities will do more to determine whether you live or die, whether you're the victor or the victim, than which system you've studied.

That said, even a "good" system is not the final answer. If you lack the proper mindset, even solid practical material won't do you any good.

I think it reall boils down to having a true understanding of the realities of a criminal threat. Once you understand the problem, you can undertake to find your solution to that problem.

edit to add--jks, looks like we cross-posted :D

We may have cross-posted -- but you addressed important issues that I didn't, especially about the survival mindset.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

:D

Exactly as stated here. The mindset is your best weapon in any encounter you may have. Train to switch that mind on and off for danger is the best technique you can learn.

Well said...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with KenpoTex, one must be able to "flip the switch" at any given time. With the switch "on" a person should still be able to anilize a situation and respond accordingly. Situations are usually different from eash other, they can include, locations, type of attacker, by-standers, and even age. The way that you handled a certain type of situation 15 - 20 years ago might have to be handled differently now.
I think that the previous response were all good in part or total.
:knight2:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That feeling you get when you're backed into a corner (indeed, any time you're forced to fight), combined with years of muscle memory. Keep your eyes open for improvised weapons and the weakest point in their "wall" to break an exit, then break and run. When on dangerous ground, plot. When on deadly ground, fight.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with KenpoTex, one must be able to "flip the switch" at any given time. With the switch "on" a person should still be able to anilize a situation and respond accordingly. Situations are usually different from eash other, they can include, locations, type of attacker, by-standers, and even age. The way that you handled a certain type of situation 15 - 20 years ago might have to be handled differently now.
I think that the previous response were all good in part or total.
:knight2:

Lawdog I agree with what you are saying, I know today I would handle it alot difference than twenty years ago, when times change so must we.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your head is usually the best way to defend yourself. use it to avoid areas and situations that may put you in harms way, avoid people that may do that same, will help you to know what training tools to use in a situation where you may need it, and lastly if like me it is really hard than you can use it as a weapon

B

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Wars and fighting....all could have been prevented in most cases...

What is the best way to defend yourself? ....is verbal knowledge and use of the right language! Knowing what to say and saying it in the right tones can prevent most situtions from escalating. (proper body language too)

Most of us have use our "Verbal" langauge many times in our life times to avoid the situtions from getting worst. (real success builds more success).

Learning about "Awareness, avoidance, the right mental minds, is all a part of learning to live in this world.

NOT fighting will solve more problems than getting into a fight...the police,law suits,jail time, revenge,injuries, and deaths (yours). "PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE"

Off course there will be times one needs to fight back....what is the best defense here? ....a strong/proper mind (killer instinct) and phycial fit body...

NO two situtions will be same...so techniques may vary...knowing what to use...will come from your training and knowledge that you learned.

TARKETS...What to hit, when to hit, strike fast, furious, is most important in an actual fight...than THINKING ABOUT IT!

LANGUAGE CAN BE VERBAL OR PHYCIAL .....YOUR CHOICE! ..SMILING HELPS TOO!

Aloha is spoken here!

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
brain2uk5.jpg

Your mind is the weapon, the [gun, club, foot, hand, cup of coffee, words, sneakers, sense of humor] is only the tool.

That said, you do have to keep your tools in good shape and be proficient with your preferred ones. :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Imagine what one can do with two weapons ( two brains)? .....Nice photo!

Aloha ( two is better than one? ) ...sticks, stones, ice cream and candy!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Every art out there has something to offer. Every art out there is capable of providing the student with an effective means of self defense. However, IMHO, it is all how the student trains the material. If you're doing something that is not realistic, if you're not training in a realistic fashion, then chances are, no matter what art you study, your odds of surviving are slim.

Example: when you're training self defense techniques, is your partner only going half way with you? Is he stopping his punch 5 in. away from your face? Is he standing there like a statue while you run thru your moves? If you answer yes to either of those, chances are you'll be in for a big surprise should you need to use your art. Now, if your partner is really trying to hit you, forcing you to move, block, react in some way, if they're fighting and giving some resistance, then chances are you will be much more prepared.

Those are just a few example, but I think I'm making my point. :)

Mike

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best self defence is self confidence....or at least acting confident.

The majority of attack victams are people who appear weak - people who might be old and frail, lost or just nervous. Why - because attackers are cowards. They don't want to get hurt or loose so they pick on those who might not put up a fight.

So the best self defence is to appear confident. You might be "crapping your pants" on the inside but as long as you look confident, walking with you head high and back straight then people won't pick on you.

If things do happen though there is always one type of defence that always works....don't be there. If you can turn and run. Run fast and don't stop till you feel safe again. Naturally this is not always an option but if it is it'll work a charm.

Other than that i would say it's back to attitude - go into any fight\attack with the mental attitude of "you attacked me but i'm going to make you the victam".

Anyway....just my 2 cents....or perhaps it's jsut a 1 center.......

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Not trying to be cliche, but learn to avoid dangerous situations and environments. 99% of self defense is avoiding such situations and learning to see them coming. Awareness is King. Grow the hell up & quit slumming and going to bars or clubs that have fights or shootings or get busted by vice every other night. Live smart. Personally, I hope I never have another SD situation, & I live accordingly.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a big part of "the best type of self-defense" is finding the appropriate one for the environment.

The best self-defense for me here in rural Southern Oregon is going to be different than the best self-defense in the Bronx, and different than in the U.K. Every culture has its own style of fighting. That's why Korean M.A.'s are different from Japanese M.A.'s. Why Italian rapier is different from Spanish. If I were to move to L.A., I would learn what was taught in my neighborhood, it doesn't mean I would use it, but I would need to know what I was facing. While physics don't change around the world, tactics, mindset, aggression, etc do.

I would fight differently in a bar than I would against a group of punks. Each type of fighting has it's place, and each one has situations where it is not ideal.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you look at BJJ, Judo, boxing, kicking boxing, full contact fighting,..these things teach you ACTUAL FIGHTING..

Drills, and striking in the air and kata's ...do not teach realistic fighting....

To learn to fight..one must fight (actual)....is the true way to learn self-defense...LOTS of full contact.

Experience is the the best teacher.....to do it for real...I can teach you to swim...on land....BUT the water is the place you will really learn to swim.

What is the best self-defense...are those who do it full on and actual contact ( fighting is not a game?)

You practice punching just inches from your tarkets...what will happen in a real fight? ...will you be able to punch thru your tarket?

Verbal speaking needs actual training too!

Aloha, ( I read a book on how to dance...when I got on the floor...could not understand the music?)