Motivation...

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
...I always seem to be at a lack of it at times.

Now I'm sure this is a pretty sad question to be asking, but what should I do to motivate myself to train harder and more often? I always seem to find SOME way to distract myself from training, or I'll "Have something more important to do."

Please help,
Anthony

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off how old are you and what level are you at, this are important question before I can try to give some insight

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I'm motivated just by wanting to learn more. There is no pressure to advance in rank or go faster than I can...which makes things easier.

What is your reason for training in the first place? It might help to get back to what first brought you into the arts.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now I'm sure this is a pretty sad question to be asking, but what should I do to motivate myself to train harder and more often? I always seem to find SOME way to distract myself from training, or I'll "Have something more important to do."

Working out is what makes you a martial artist.

It really is a "use it or lose it" situation: if you stop training, muscles will atrophy.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Working out is what makes you a martial artist.

It really is a "use it or lose it" situation: if you stop training, muscles will atrophy.

As I enter my mid 50's I am very aware of that post..My job prevents me from regular training BUT I do something day to stay limber..And I'll keep doing it for as long as I can...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Please help,
Anthony

You could try beating up trees, that helps... sorry, kind of an inside joke :)

Seriously, in my case it always seems to be... give myself a day off.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a pretty common issue in "fitness" and "working out" but I have a different view point on it than most. I feel that motivation in personal pursuits is intrinsic, you have it or you don't. So, when people ask "what can I do to stay motivated?" my first thought is usually, "how the hell do I know?" Don't take that the wrong way, but you either want to do something, are into it, or you are not. This might mean moving on, or switching up the routine or trying a different avenue (different MA or something). You can't force motivation in my mind, then it's empty and meaningless.

Another thought, is overtraining concerns. This is just a regiment issue. Too little sleep, too much volume,etc, etc.

Just my thoughts...

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had the same problem back when I used to go to gym and sometimes (luckily not often) I have this problem now when I do Tai Chi.

The only hard part is always starting it, coz after you start your work out (that is physycal or MA) you no longer think to anything else.
Set an alarm clock to always the same time and when it goes off feeling like doing it or not start a little warm up...nothing heavy, just a little. The little warm up will tell your body that it is time to start moving and the mind will follow (at least it does for me).
Once there step into your regular program and you will see your body will be eager to go further and not stop.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Searcher hit it on the head. Set both long and short term goals. How can you know where you're going or how to get there if you don't have a destination?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Motivation...to keep going positively! For some this is very hard...others fly thru it.....Why? because it is easy to be lazy and not do anything.

The best things in life comes from hard work, and working harder and smarter at the same time.

It is easy to quit....it easy to give up ...easy to stay home...this is EASY to say! .....in Hawaii we try to keep things easy (not lazy). ...slang in Hawaii...when one is working real hard...we say "take it easy brah"....

It is easy to hit someone hard if you train harder...it is easy to kick to the head if you practice...."take it easy brah" .........Aloha

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes the hardest part, for me, is grabbing my uniform and driving to class.

Once the warmup starts, I'm fine and following the workout I'm always glad I went.

And then, on all my off days, I think a lot about training.

But then workout time comes and I have to remind myself: I LIKE what martial arts do for me, I would not like what I would become if I stopped, and I LIKE how I feel following the workout -- and I push myself out the door to another workout.

Skipping workouts, for me, is a slippery slope. I skipped "a couple" not long after getting my first dan in TKD and ended up taking a break for nearly a year. :(

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, first, I'm 17, been training in Kung Fu for almost a year.

Now originally, when I first started Kung Fu, I would feel an almost high-like state after each workout (Not that I'd know what being high is like, but you know what I mean). I'd be extremely exhausted, but I would feel so good about myself, like nothing could stand in my way. One reason I was able to make it through my workouts, however, was the fact that I always did it alongside my fellow practitioners, and my Sifu constantly telling me "Just one more push-up" or "Hold the stretch for just 10 more seconds", really helped pull me through.

Unfortunately, as stated in my meet and greet thread, I recently had to withdraw from formal Kung Fu training (Due to monetary constraints), and I was left with nothing but the kata, techniques, and training methods I had learned during my 10 months in training, but no one to help me along.

One last thing, before I began learing Kung Fu, I was more or less a depressed wreck with no future in sight, but now I can see the world in much brighter perspective, despite my current hardships. That alone SHOULD give me the motivation to keep going......then again, maybe I just need an ice-cream...

-Anthony

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
Searcher hit it on the head. Set both long and short term goals. How can you know where you're going or how to get there if you don't have a destination?

is'nt the journey greater than the actual goal? not being sarcastic

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, first, I'm 17, been training in Kung Fu for almost a year.

Now originally, when I first started Kung Fu, I would feel an almost high-like state after each workout (Not that I'd know what being high is like, but you know what I mean). I'd be extremely exhausted, but I would feel so good about myself, like nothing could stand in my way. One reason I was able to make it through my workouts, however, was the fact that I always did it alongside my fellow practitioners, and my Sifu constantly telling me "Just one more push-up" or "Hold the stretch for just 10 more seconds", really helped pull me through.

Unfortunately, as stated in my meet and greet thread, I recently had to withdraw from formal Kung Fu training (Due to monetary constraints), and I was left with nothing but the kata, techniques, and training methods I had learned during my 10 months in training, but no one to help me along.

One last thing, before I began learing Kung Fu, I was more or less a depressed wreck with no future in sight, but now I can see the world in much brighter perspective, despite my current hardships. That alone SHOULD give me the motivation to keep going......then again, maybe I just need an ice-cream...

-Anthony

Perhaps you could talk to your instructor and see if there wasn't something you could work out with him. For example: in exchange for some lessons, you could have the responsibility of cleaning the school. I do know of some inst. that have done this for students who were having a hardship. Between that and offering some money, you could get back to regular training.:)

Mike

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
shirt ripper is the man in your avatar on the juice

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it goes back to why you started in the first place, if it was just to learn to kick butt or hang with your buddies then that is not there and is very superficial, you will not be motivated to do anything else. If the purpose was something deeper, physical fitness, or the need to accomplish something in your life then that is something you can work with. That becomes your long range goal (ex. I want to lose 20 lbs or be stronger, or become good at something) then you set short range goals to achieve that(ex. I will work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes). Emotions are a roller coaster and if we just followed them we would have a very up and down ride, we end up doing that when there is no focus in our life. The last thing you need is a support system whether that is your old teacher, friends, or family that can hold you accountable to help keep you on track to accomplish your goals. It eventually comes down to how bad do you want it but you can set things in place that will help you along the way. Good Luck!

Loaded Luke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Please help,
Anthony

My motivation to train is simply that I got nothing better to do. I think to myself... train, or stay in, watch tv, eat crap n get depressed cos you done nothing.