traveling and picking

baughman

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking into training at a cpl of diffrent schools, and I have narrowed it down to 2.
The school i really want to go to is 4 and a half hrs away, and would drive it on saturdays each week. The reason I would look into a school that far away? It is a koryu Kenjutsu school in Michigan. It has everything I have pretty much wanted in an art. But it is 4 and a half hrs away. Has anyone ever driven close to this to train on a weekly basis?
My wife has told me I can do which ever I wish and she supports me either way.
THe second school is a wing chun school here in Cincinnati and it also has alot of what I look for also. But the first one if it was with in 2 hrs would be a no brainer.

I guess my main question is. Has anyone ever driven this far to train weekly?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless you are really into the Japanese sword, I can't believe that a person could keep up with that type of travle regularly. Yes, I do know of examples of people doing it...but I strongly suggest doing something in town. Better to stick with your 2nd choice than drop your 1st choice due to work/family/financial limitations.

davemitchel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Baugman, no never. The furtherest I have ever driven to train is half-an-hour. I suppose my circumstances are different to yours. Our dojos only really operate at night and it is life threateningly dangerous (not kidding) to drive around at night is SA. Getting in and out of one's vehicle, even more so.

I do not think 4 and a half hours one way is sustainable. 2 hours sounds better. Do whatever your heart says, tempered by some common-sense and you will find the right answer.

Peace
Dave

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into training at a cpl of diffrent schools, and I have narrowed it down to 2.
The school i really want to go to is 4 and a half hrs away, and would drive it on saturdays each week. The reason I would look into a school that far away? It is a koryu Kenjutsu school in Michigan. It has everything I have pretty much wanted in an art. But it is 4 and a half hrs away. Has anyone ever driven close to this to train on a weekly basis?
My wife has told me I can do which ever I wish and she supports me either way.
THe second school is a wing chun school here in Cincinnati and it also has alot of what I look for also. But the first one if it was with in 2 hrs would be a no brainer.

I guess my main question is. Has anyone ever driven this far to train weekly?

Have I traveled that far? No. Do I know people that do? Yes. Would I? Probably not. I would stick with whats closer to you.

Good luck! :)

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cannot add anything to what has already been said...The cost of fuel makes staying closer to home the wisest choice...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One will be able to go more often and train more often if the school you choose is near to home.

The Sensi and what they teaches may not be everything you are looking for, but your work and family is more important!

Long traveling can be done...better to be safer and closer to home...Aloha

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have traveled long distances to train regularly in the past. It is a very, very hard road. Think carefully before you make that choice. By the way I am in Michigan and what Koryu school are you talking about? Do they have a website?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have traveled an hour plus to an hour and a half for regular weekly training. But that is a normal daily drive for me anyways. Sometimes even more.

Each has their own decisions on this.

Good Luck in yout training.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you would tire of the commute no matter how much you enjoy the training.

OP
B

baughman

White Belt
Reaction score
http://www.ustamiyaryu.org/index.html

spent alot of time at koryu.com investigating and searching for a kenjutsu school near me. this is the closest i could find except for a study group in columbus of suio ryu iai . I contacted the main group for them and they forwarded the info to study group in Columbus, but havent got a reply yet
The wing chun school is http://www.cinciwingchun.com/home.html
which I am now leaning toward after all the info here and talking to some close friends.
I had also looked into http://www.daytonbujinkan.com/ , but for me growing up in late 70s and the 80s I still have some doubts on the whole past of the art thing. I do believe it is a great art tho.
because i live in the boonies out near cinci even both of those are an hr away. but I drive that to work everyday so an hr doesnt bug me.
Quite honestly if there wasnt so much controversy with the bujinkan I would go there. Guess i cant shake the whole 80s time frame out of my head. hehe

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sometimes trying a new or different art may surprise you. Learning should be closer to home. Have you though what would happen if you got into a car accident and your wife had to drive hours to see you?

You may want to consider being closer to home...for yourself as well as for your family sakes! ........Aloha