Motivation

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started my current style and path of training my freshman year of college. It was a class, and then it became a commercial school (same instructor). I transferred colleges because the one I was currently attending was not really offering what I needed. When I transferred I was told to seek out another school, of the same style (EPAK). The school is great, but doesn't teach the exact system, it takes a more "practical" look at principles, generally discarding the standard EPAK techniques. I am enjoying training there, however the instructor at this school and I both agree that it is only fair that I test under my 1st instructor.

I was training on my own for 2nd brown and was doing fairly well. However I have noticed that even with the manual for the techniques I really don't put in as much effort as I feel I should. When I work on my own, I pick a belt to work on, for example I will choose Orange belt, work the techniques, and kata requirements for that belt. But I find myself taking short cuts skipping techniques that I "know". I know that if I don't practice all levels especially the basics, I will never progress in my skills (let alone in rank).

I really really need some motivation to get myself to train as hard as possible. Any thoughts about how you motivate yourself to train on your own would be greatly appreciated. I should note that I attend regular classes at the other dojo (when school classes permit) in addition to working out on my own.

-Josh-

J

j_m

dubljay said:
I started my current style and path of training my freshman year of college. It was a class, and then it became a commercial school (same instructor). I transferred colleges because the one I was currently attending was not really offering what I needed. When I transferred I was told to seek out another school, of the same style (EPAK). The school is great, but doesn't teach the exact system, it takes a more "practical" look at principles, generally discarding the standard EPAK techniques. I am enjoying training there, however the instructor at this school and I both agree that it is only fair that I test under my 1st instructor.

I was training on my own for 2nd brown and was doing fairly well. However I have noticed that even with the manual for the techniques I really don't put in as much effort as I feel I should. When I work on my own, I pick a belt to work on, for example I will choose Orange belt, work the techniques, and kata requirements for that belt. But I find myself taking short cuts skipping techniques that I "know". I know that if I don't practice all levels especially the basics, I will never progress in my skills (let alone in rank).

I really really need some motivation to get myself to train as hard as possible. Any thoughts about how you motivate yourself to train on your own would be greatly appreciated. I should note that I attend regular classes at the other dojo (when school classes permit) in addition to working out on my own.

-Josh-
My current teacher constantly reminds us (his students :) ) that class is for learning and then when you go home (when you're not in class) is for homework. Homework = training. It's getting out of the western mentality that I call the "fitness center" or "gym" mentality where people only train while they are at the "gym" or wherever. It should be just like school... go to class to learn and take notes and ask questions... then go home to study and do all your homework and practice, practice, practice. Sounds simple. But it's not easy to do.

So, I always picture my teacher telling me to do my homework... you never know there might be a test. But the test shouldn't drive you... the drive or motivation needs to come from inside you somewhere. Think of all the people out there that DON'T practice martial arts. You don't want to be one of them. And you don't want to train just because your teacher tells you. You just have to do it for yourself... and realize the benifits you get from pushing yourself and making yourself do your homework.

Here's a good article on why to train:
http://www.buddha-fist.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=60

Don't know if this helps any but this is my muddled thought process that keeps me going. :p Also, if you can find someone... anyone... to train with that can be a good source of motivation as well.

Good luck,

jm

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I treat my TKD class more like a music class than a school class.

In a music class, you can't become a muscian just by playing in class; class is too short. You need to go home from the class and practice the drills you learned in class. Class is for learning new stuff and fine-tuning stuff you already know, but you can't become good with just that. You need to practice the new stuff to really internalize it and you need to keep working on the fine-tuning to really get it in you well.

Same with MA. The class is the place to learn new stuff, ask questions, get corrections, and get fine tuning and improvement from people who have more skill., then you leave the class and really work on it to make sure that what you learned in the class really becomes a part of who you are and what you do

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I suffer from the same symptoms, but what I believe to be the real cause is not lack of motivation, but trouble focusing on training. I want to be a good martial artist, the best I can be anyways, so the motivation is there. But the lack of self discipline has been a hinderance all my life, and I've never been taught to focus, except for a few different situations. For me, I seem to need situation specifics focus and reason, if that makes any sense. Life is a work in progress. I'm starting now to train more outside of class, and it helps a lot.

A---)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My greatest motivation was my first tournament. I came in second place by one point, it really was a great match. That was the other guys 5th tournament, and if i do that well at my first, I will only get better at it, if I keep up the hard focusing.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you knew you were going to be in a fight tomorrow, how would you train today?

Being good is not enough. You have to be the very best you can be.

My signature is something I use as a mantra when I feel like slacking off. It Isn't enough to know you should train harder. You have to apply that knowledge.

T

ThatWasAKick

Wow. Adept is right on.

Dubljay, I think we all have times where we slack. I'm going through a motivational down right now, myself, and was just asking myself the same question.

Then I watched some TV and decided I want to be Angelina Jolie, and anything is worth that. Ok, just kidding. TV does motivate me, tho. Funny.

For me, training has moved from the hours a day wow-I-can't-get-enough stage to the that-class-kicked-my-butt-and-I-know-the-next-will-be-worse phase, which is parallel to the " now tell me, why do I do this, again?" phase. Next stage is burnout. We don't want to go there.

I took three weeks off to get my head straight and ask some hard questions. The one I kept coming back to was the one Adept nailed.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
If you knew you were going to be in a fight tomorrow, how would you train today?

Being good is not enough. You have to be the very best you can be.

My signature is something I use as a mantra when I feel like slacking off. It Isn't enough to know you should train harder. You have to apply that knowledge.
Couldn't have said it better myself..

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I have been in-between levels, not quite 2nd dan to progress from there in material, but not 1st dan level either. So, I go to general workouts but train my own goals since my instructor hasn't guided me in almost three years. I list everything and how I am going to work on them. Like M-W-F do cardio, forms, some technique. T-Thu. Strength training, other memorization stuff. But its better to have a guide. I don't feel complete if I don't have something accomplished that day but some days, my body revolts. Good luck with your training, don't give up! TW

J

Joe Higashi

dubljay said:

-Josh-
do like we used to do and watch the karate vs kung fu video

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
My motivation was from one of my best friends. I had just achieved yellow belt, and I had to stop temporarily because of school. I told my friend this, and told him I'd be back, and he didn't believe me. For the longest time, our friendship kind of whithered. (We were in 8th grade) In our studio, it's known that usually when some leaves for an extended amount of time, they usually don't come back to continue their training.

However, about a year later I came back, and you should have seen the look on his face :p He had underestimated me, I came back, exactly like I promised. We've been close ever since. I owe him getting angry at me almost... it's what keeps me going. Two years later, and look where I am now, a black belt :) I'm so happy martial arts is a part of my life. Weird little story, isn't it?

Latest Discussions