McDojos

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my opinion, if an instructor wants to truly teach the kids self defense then of course the results would be better.
One of the problems is comparing it to say music choirs is the teacher isn't operating it as a daycare, is doing either volunteer, or being paid salary as a teacher.
The common mcdojo is being paid primary as a daycare, or rank given kids self esteem builder hobby.
When I was 28? I visited a local tkd school that had hapkido I was interested in checking out well they said I had to try the tkd class first. So I had a 19-20 old guy show me some basic patterns then have me break a carpet wood board he really sold the a whole wow look at you, you did it shick.
So I can imagine a little kid breaking said board and face lighting up and feel they accomplished something and the parents happy with the results for little Timmy self esteem and good grades.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
And they're doing so in a class with 30 other kids and part of that 20 hours-a-week gymnastics practice is actually doing homework, not gymnastics?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I think the girls gymnastics classes run about 20 kids but I am not sure. Good point about the homework, no the girls aren't doing homework, they are in classes to be coached for gymnastics. It isn't an "after school program" as most of these martial arts classes are taught as.

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It really was my mistake. I edited my post after the first response due to a misunderstanding concerning what I was attempting to ask. Nobody is really at fault other than me. Regardless, I did attempt to apologize for my mistake....but it was automatically assumed that I was here to cause trouble. As stated previously, I will word my questions in a more politically correct way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It really was my mistake. I edited my post after the first response due to a misunderstanding concerning what I was attempting to ask. Nobody is really at fault other than me. Regardless, I did attempt to apologize for my mistake....but it was automatically assumed that I was here to cause trouble. As stated previously, I will word my questions in a more politically correct way.

Dude, you're good, no worries.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you read his first thread about fights?
Actual Fight
I did. It was a bit rude at first, then he apologized, what he was saying was a lot more reasonable than what it sounded like he was saying, and when he stated his experience it sounded legitimate.

I also find it funny that we are talking about him on a forum where he is undoubtedly reading all of this :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did. It was a bit rude at first, then he apologized, what he was saying was a lot more reasonable than what it sounded like he was saying, and when he stated his experience it sounded legitimate.

I also find it funny that we are talking about him on a forum where he is undoubtedly reading all of this :D

I don't care if he is reading it, did you read though the further comments he made to another poster which were more than a bit rude and for which he did not apologise?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't care if he is reading it, did you read though the further comments he made to another poster which were more than a bit rude and for which he did not apologise?
Let it go. He's trying to make amends. I think you just like stirring the pot.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'dislike' and 'disagree' doesn't change the facts but you know that, which is why 'dislike' and 'disagree' :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You might need to highlight the specific quote. I looked back through the thread and after I apologized for my error...the attack continued. The one thing you should know about me...I respond in kind. I do not see who else you think that I need to apologize to. Please enlighten me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This to Rich Parsons, a very well respected poster here and very knowledgeable martial artist, the last mocking sentences are also unnecessary. You are taking insult where none was offered nor was Rich insulted, you took what he said the wrong way then compounded it by telling him he had a lack of understanding and was 'sensitive'. The insinuation that he had no character nor a strong frame of mind was particularly petty after already commenting that you thought he was lacking in understanding. Only my opinion of course, :rolleyes:

"By your response, after admitting my mistake, definitely shows that you have a lack of true understanding of the martial arts. I am sure, as experienced martial artist, those who commented really did know what I was asking. I stated that in my personal opinion, contact is a hit, Its simply my opinion. I am not insulted in the least by your comment. Its your opinion...Not gospel truth. It is clear that you are very insulted by my comment. I am not really into the mysticism associated with the martial arts. But that is probably due to my lack of religious belief. I believe the martial arts can build character and a strong frame of mind. As I stated previously, I will take your sensitivity into consideration with my future post."

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This to Rich Parsons, a very well respected poster here and very knowledgeable martial artist, the last mocking sentences are also unnecessary. You are taking insult where none was offered nor was Rich insulted, you took what he said the wrong way then compounded it by telling him he had a lack of understanding and was 'sensitive'. The insinuation that he had no character nor a strong frame of mind was particularly petty after already commenting that you thought he was lacking in understanding. Only my opinion of course, :rolleyes:

"By your response, after admitting my mistake, definitely shows that you have a lack of true understanding of the martial arts. I am sure, as experienced martial artist, those who commented really did know what I was asking. I stated that in my personal opinion, contact is a hit, Its simply my opinion. I am not insulted in the least by your comment. Its your opinion...Not gospel truth. It is clear that you are very insulted by my comment. I am not really into the mysticism associated with the martial arts. But that is probably due to my lack of religious belief. I believe the martial arts can build character and a strong frame of mind. As I stated previously, I will take your sensitivity into consideration with my future post."
Again in response to his statement after my apology.

definitely shows that you have a lack of true understanding of the martial arts. This one is in response to him concerning his like statement to me. I respond in kind.

I believe the martial arts can build character and a strong frame of mind. As I stated previously, I will take your sensitivity into consideration with my future post."

This one is in response to his statement about me not having a clue about what forms are for. I stated that I did not believe in the mysticism associated with The forms. It was simply letting him know what, I believed, concerning forms.

I practice karate...I read a lot about what the man who established forms in karate stated about karate.

I wasn't stating that his belief doesn't build a strong mind. I was agreeing with his perception that it does....But without the religious tone. He had stated that I did not know what forms are intended for.

But with all of that...he invited me to one of his seminars...I asked where he was located.

Which lead me to believe that we are ok. Apparently I misunderstood that as Well?

I got Nothing against Rich...I do not even know him.

But I do respond in kind...

If he feels insulted...tell him I am sorry...this whole thread is a cluster of misunderstanding

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stirring_the_pot_postcard-rc40965b31d5a4e818e0b914f6d5857e7_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
'dislike' and 'disagree' doesn't change the facts but you know that, which is why 'dislike' and 'disagree' :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Apaligize?... apalagise?! Bah! Who needs that nonsense! :rolleyes: The goal is to state all ideas, opinions and everything else you believe to be true while standing firm to your beliefs... let nobody tell you your wrong(cause your not) and opoligize for nothing! Cause your right and they are clearly the blind ones :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this whole thread is a cluster of misunderstanding

And that takes it back to my point about making first impressions and how you are thought of after a few bombastic first posts. Your very first one was a command, the second was dismissive because the answers you had been given didn't suit you. Yes you've apologised but my point, when you thought you'd been put through the wringer, was that you brought it on yourself. This isn't FB where short sharp answers are the norm, we have the luxury here of being able to take our time and write long posts without people saying they can't be bothered to read them because they are over ten words.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And that takes it back to my point about making first impressions and how you are thought of after a few bombastic first posts. Your very first one was a command, the second was dismissive because the answers you had been given didn't suit you. Yes you've apologised but my point, when you thought you'd been put through the wringer, was that you brought it on yourself. This isn't FB where short sharp answers are the norm, we have the luxury here of being able to take our time and write long posts without people saying they can't be bothered to read them because they are over ten words.
Elsa-Let-it-go-icon-frozen-37423474-200-200.jpg

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The first three results from a YouTube search for "middle school band concert" which would be kids with group instruction on their instruments for probably 5 hours a week, plus whatever practice they do at home, for at least a couple of years. Some individuals would be less, some more, I am sure.

From personal experience, school band classes provide little-to-no instruction on how to actually play the instruments, just on how to play together in a band. You're meant to get outside instruction from a tutor to learn how to play the instrument and your part of the songs, but a lot of kids don't, which is part of why school bands tend to be so bad.

But that aside.... my issue isn't that students aren't super-amazing after 1 year. It's that, from everything I've seen, students that go to "martial arts aftercare" for 15 hours a week are worse at martial arts than students at many other schools who only spend 3 hours a week in class, when they should be better.

I wonder where the problem is. Is it that schools that aren't good at teaching martial arts turn to offering aftercare to pay the bills? Or is it a result of offering aftercare and relying on that to pay your overhead? You start making compromises in order to keep kids in the aftercare program, water down the classes, divert your energy towards that instead of teaching.... I don't know.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From personal experience, school band classes provide little-to-no instruction on how to actually play the instruments, just on how to play together in a band. You're meant to get outside instruction from a tutor to learn how to play the instrument and your part of the songs, but a lot of kids don't, which is part of why school bands tend to be so bad.

I think the same could be said of after school kiddie MA-themed day care.

But that aside.... my issue isn't that students aren't super-amazing after 1 year. It's that, from everything I've seen, students that go to "martial arts aftercare" for 15 hours a week are worse at martial arts than students at many other schools who only spend 3 hours a week in class, when they should be better.

Why should they? One person is actually training in MA. The other is in daycare with a ninja picture on the wall.

Latest Discussions