Unique Types of Martial Arts

Tbshirk

White Belt
Reaction score
A friend and I have recently started work on a new Indie Fighting Game about martial arts. The only problem is, we are having a little bit of difficulty coming up with martial arts that are unique enough. Doing research has really only brought up most brutal martial arts, which isn't (necessarily) what we want. We only need 5 or 6, but haven't found anything yet, so I decided to turn to a martial arts forum. The only one we found unique enough to use was Bokator. Any help, is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a specific criteria as to what you are looking for?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bagua isn't unique if you live in India, nor is Rooster Style, if you live in Vietnam, but they are both unique in the United States. I need to learn me some Rooster stuff. It sounds cool, anyway.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean by unique? Would obscure be more accurate in what you're looking for? Unique to me means the techniques are a lot different than most others.

Uechi Ryu karate is pretty unique in that it's far more "Chinese" in its techniques than Okinawan or Japanese than any other style of karate. While it's no where near as popular as other karate styles, it's far from obscure.

Capoeira is pretty unique in its techniques. I don't think anyone who's seen it and a few other arts would mistake it for something else. Again, far from obscure.

If you're solely looking for unique, karate, aikido, judo, kung fu, kali, sumo, and capoeira are all pretty distinct from one another.

Ameri-Do-Te is pretty unique:)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend and I have recently started work on a new Indie Fighting Game about martial arts. The only problem is, we are having a little bit of difficulty coming up with martial arts that are unique enough. Doing research has really only brought up most brutal martial arts, which isn't (necessarily) what we want. We only need 5 or 6, but haven't found anything yet, so I decided to turn to a martial arts forum. The only one we found unique enough to use was Bokator. Any help, is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Look for
CMA - Chinese Martial Arts
FMA - Filipino Martial Arts - Dumog, Kuntaw and Panatukan to avoid weapons (mostly)
HEMA - Historical European Martial Arts - May be mostly or all weapons
JMA - Japanese Martial Arts
KMA - Korean Martial Arts
MMA - Mixed Martial Arts
TMA - in this case Thailand Martial Arts and not Traditional Martial Arts
WMA - Western Martial Arts - Boxing (even though heavy Filipino influenced) and Wrestling

This gives you a chance to have different styles and different clothing for the characters.
Note: everyone will be upset about your choices and how an at is represented, so use generic terms to avoid art issues, and politics, and make it over the top Video Game so everyone knows it is a video game. Or student the systems real close and get experts to consult with you, if you want it realistic. This might be a lot more work and costly to travel to work with the experts or to pay for their travel and time to come see you.

Good Luck

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, do we get a share of the royalties for helping.......? :)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You need to be more specific. Is the idea of the game that you have a bunch of different fighters, and each one fights using a different martial arts style? And then each character has some special moves unique to them, based on the style they use? (Like in Mortal Kombat, where each guy would have their own "fatality" move, only with real martial arts techniques instead of silly stuff like ripping a guy's bones out.)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Honestly it's going to all come down to how you present them. You could have a karate fighter and a tae kwon do fighter that are basically indistinguishable, or you could have them incredibly different if you emphasize the differences.

Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Sumo, boxing, muay thai, Kickboxing, Northern styles of Kung fu, souther styles of kung fu, Silat, kali, krav maga, etc.

Even within those you could come up with a lot of variety, Wushu, Wing Chun, Drunken boxing, hung gar, sanshou... thats 5, All "kung fu", all greatly different.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A punch is just a punch.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
T

Tbshirk

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any knowledge of martial arts? The type of answer that you will get will depend a lot on that.
Not a whole lot. I HAVE done some research, and took karate lessons at one point, but that's the extent of my knowledge, other then wikipedia.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not really. Just martial arts that stand out form others.

Any martial art will stand out, if you're comparing it with other arts that are very different from it. Taekwondo will stand out a lot if compared with Escrima and Sambo, but it won't stand out as much if compared to Shotokan Karate.

Here's my list for some very distinct and relatively well-known fighting styles: boxing, Taekwondo, Brazillian Jujitsu, Escrima, Capoeria, and HEMA (medieval-type European weapons).

Edit: oh, and how about sumo wrestling? That's pretty unique!

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any martial art will stand out, if you're comparing it with other arts that are very different from it. Taekwondo will stand out a lot if compared with Escrima and Sambo, but it won't stand out as much if compared to Shotokan Karate.

Here's my list for some very distinct and relatively well-known fighting styles: boxing, Taekwondo, Brazillian Jujitsu, Escrima, Capoeria, and HEMA (medieval-type European weapons).

Edit: oh, and how about sumo wrestling? That's pretty unique!

After viewing dozens of TKD sparring and hyung videos, and comparing them to the hundreds of kata and Karate sparring videos I have seen. I can actually begin to easily tell the difference between a karate and a TKD guy.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After viewing dozens of TKD sparring and hyung videos, and comparing them to the hundreds of kata and Karate sparring videos I have seen. I can actually begin to easily tell the difference between a karate and a TKD guy.
Until they spar...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions