What Is A McDojo?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well any martial arts instructor who coaches in the olympics, I don't think he will be running a McDojo.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well any martial arts instructor who coaches in the olympics, I don't think he will be running a McDojo.

I wouldn't be so sure ...especially if he is a former coach. Sometimes the drive to make money does funny things to people.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, there aren't enough coaches who have coached in the Olympics to make any difference in this topic.

There are, on the other hand, many tournaments between the WTF, ITF, ATA, the various independent schools, and whatever the ITA is calling itself now. Not to mention karate tournaments.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to point out that just because a dojo gives its students the choice to sign up for promotion tests does not make it a McDojo. At my main dojo, students do have the choice to sign up to test for their next belt every three to four months when they have belt tests, and of course, just because you sign up doesn't mean you will pass. Anyway, at one time I started training at this different dojo where they tell you when you advance in belt rank. It was a decent place, but from my own experience it was not as good as the main dojo that I train at.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A school will be exposed as a McDojo at tournaments, when the performance of its students is compared with the performance of students at other dojos.

As Dan said, not every school, mcdojo or not, competes in tournaments. Honestly, one should be able to simply view a few classes and determine whether or not the place is a joke or not.

LMFAO!!! You can't be serious.

I would like to point out that just because a dojo gives its students the choice to sign up for promotion tests does not make it a McDojo. At my main dojo, students do have the choice to sign up to test for their next belt every three to four months when they have belt tests, and of course, just because you sign up doesn't mean you will pass. Anyway, at one time I started training at this different dojo where they tell you when you advance in belt rank. It was a decent place, but from my own experience it was not as good as the main dojo that I train at.

I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head about the idea of the students deciding when they feel they're ready to test. IMO, the teacher, not the student, should know best, when a student is ready to test. I don't think I've seen a good answer yet, as to why this method is so great.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All that I can say at this point is, 'so what?' You bring up tournaments as the place to reveal McDojos and then pull this out again in a disjointed manner.

We get it. You don't think your school is a McDojo. You don't think your school's testing method makes it a McDojo. So what? If you're happy training there, why are you on Martial Talk trying to justify your school? If you're truly happy there, just go train there and be happy.

If you keep bringing this testing method up, you're simply going to perpetuate the board's questioning your school.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think an issue not discussed but relevant to the topic is the acceptance of all martial artists by other martial artists, regardless of how a dojo is run. What works in my dojo may not work in yours and.vica versa.

"The ultimate object of human beings should be coexistence and co-prosperity in 'peace' ”. -Shugoro Nakazato