Take the test is your school a mcdojo.

If you have any questions about mcdojos feel free to ask me i dont mind giving advice. I some stuff about them from what i have seen on the internet.

JK,

You're just not a very happy guy are you? You were asked about your credentials on another thread (that YOU started) dealing with mastery of a shopping list of Martial Arts. You then evaded the subject when clarification of the "authenticity" of your lessons was brought up (FMA). Then an opportunity to train with an honest, knowldgeable person was not very attractive to you for some reason. Answer your own question. Are you involved in a McDojo? Let the other forum members then help you decide. We don't mind sharing. :)

Also, those nude photos of Britney are fabricated. Don't believe EVERYTHING you see on the Internet. It's kind of like being fooled to train at Big Mac's school of MA. You might win a free happy meal. But, then again those are for happy people, right? :)

Some of the stuff on Bullshido is very accurate. There are bad schools in both traditional arts AND MMA. Some postings are from people who's lips move when they read a stop sign. The "lip movers" can't follow directions, quit and then classify any school with uniforms as McDOJO to justify their dropping out. They then run from school to school claiming as their goal multiple masteries when actually they are in denial about their own SELF DISCIPLINE not being enough to stay in one place for awhile. Do you know one of those guys? I bet you do. Learn how to sift through the "truth on the Internet" and then present yourself in a knowledgeable fashion.

Have you ever been to a "Brickin'" by any chance? :)

Your buddy,
white belt

Judo-kid -

While I appreciate your efforts to help others "educate" themselves, I have to question both your motives, your understanding, and your experience...

What may on the surface appear to be a McDojo may be a good school whose instructor has chosen to make his teaching his primary source of income. What may appear to be a non-commercially oriented school may in fact be a school whose instructor's credentials are questionable at the very least but who relies on anonymity and the ignorance of those in the community he infects to maintain his income.

Labeling a school a McDojo is a drastic thing, and should not lightly be approached. The school of an instructor that blatantly flaunts the rules of established organizations governing that instructor's art could easily be categorized as a McDojo by someone who disagreed with the said instructor's intentions...

If you don't understand what I meant by the last paragraph above, PM me and I will explain it further. Or, better yet, come train with us in Puyallup.

My email remains [email protected].

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

I read most of them. They're not expert based. They're more
MMA'ers going on and on about how kata is useless and dogging
on traditional m.a. That and jokes about it, I find it lacking in
factual information.

Yiliquan, you probably know this already, but just in case. Publicly
posting your email like that can open you up for heavy amounts
of unsolicited emails.

:asian:

Bullshido is an interesting little site, there are a few good articles there, but a lot of very bad one's too. It's worth a look but take everything you read there with a huge grain of salt. I agree with Kirk here, there's way too much kata-bashing and bagging out traditional martial arts, which got up my nose 'cause I'm a traditional martial artist myself. Way too many statements like "all aikido dojo's in the west are mcdojos" (no, really, someone really said that) and "Krav Maga is less likely to be a McDojo than Karate because Krav Maga doesn't have kata and Karate does.)

If you have any questions about mcdojos feel free to ask me i dont mind giving advice. I some stuff about them from what i have seen on the internet.

I assume that the "stuff from the internet" would be the base for your advice?
Due to the fact that you have VERY limited exp. in the MAs you practice. NO exp. in the MAs that others practice. Have never seen the instructors/schools/ methods that you would be passing judgement on - I think your help would be limited at best.

Fairbairn, Applegate and Biddle.

If you don't know who these men are, then research the names and pick up on their important contributions to the free world. They trained in Kung Fu, Jujitsu, Judo, etc. to add knowledge and bite to the base already developed around Western boxing and wrestling. The Oriental techniques were deemed very important by these men. They are still taught in our military forces to this day. The techs. used are for the most part not "Octagon friendly". They are largely derived from TRADITIONAL MA systems. Those moves can be found in KATA. Three examples are the knee to groin smash, the palm heel to nosebase or chin and the eye rip. KATA. A few compatible BJJ moves have even been added within the last 10-15 years.

The MMA competitions are great, but from a business standpoint they are not attractive to most average people looking for self defense. Cauliflower ears, missing teeth, etc. are what most people are wanting to avoid along with serious bodiy injury. A good traditional art can help them learn defense without as much serious injury risks. Why do I point this out? A LOT of MMA people are jealous of the Traditionalists being able to attract a larger clientele for lessons and actually make a decent living at it. This is one of the main reasons for some of the bashing that goes on that most don't talk about much. I have had first hand experience dealing with this, from a marketing standpoint, with my school (TKD) and some friends who tried to keep their MMA schools open. They have great personalities and are regionally easily at the top of their game, but they could not keep enough students long term due to the severity of contact and associated training injuries. I tained with them myself to pick up some different knowledge. I even found they were using some moves that are the same as moves in some of my Hyung (Kata). There is some bitterness about the business end of things that causes bashing of even legitimate traditional schools. Not just bashing of McDojangs. Some of you school owners know what I am talking about. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors from BOTH sides.

white belt

Hey take it or leave it kind of deal, I am just trying to help people out who want it.

I first off am not at a mcdojo at all i never signed a contract.

The teachers are not childern.

I dont get BS about things very straight forword.

I can cross train at other schools.

Poeple are friendly.

No hidden fees.

I train at 2 gyms each the rates are very slim.

No money cost for belt test, Just like 5$ for the belt.

Originally posted by Judo-kid
Hey take it or leave it kind of deal, I am just trying to help people out who want it.

I first off am not at a mcdojo at all i never signed a contract.

The teachers are not childern.

I dont get BS about things very straight forword.

I can cross train at other schools.

Poeple are friendly.

No hidden fees.

I train at 2 gyms each the rates are very slim.

No money cost for belt test, Just like 5$ for the belt.

JK,

Signing a contract doesn't automatically make the school a McDojo.

Think of it this way. The instructor has rent, insurance, taxes(if he owns the property)equipment, and general upkeep to pay for. There may be other instructors who also receive a sum of money for their time and effort teaching other students.

What would be the BS that you refer to?What would stop someone from cross training if they were at a McDojo?

Unfriendly people make a McDojo?

Hidden fees? Please elaborate.

You seem to be on a crusade to discredit every system out there that doesn't focus on grappling or UFC competition. Keep this in mind, the more popular an art becomes, the more likely it will be watered down in the future. As things get passed down from person to person, things get changed for some reason or another, and not always for the better.

Open your eyes, and explore all there is to be offered in the MA world. What you consider a worthless system, may be just what someone else wants and or desires. They all have a place and a value. Any type of training beats no training at all.

1 persons mcdojo is another persons top quality school. The acctual definition varies from person to person.

I know of several very good schools that if looked at with the 'checklist' will have a lot of the signs...however they have very qualified instructors, who care about the art and quality of teaching. They are however just trying to make a living from doing what they love.

On the otherside is the frauds, charletins and other preditors...who just do it for a buck, with no worries about the students wellbeing.

As a complete internet geek, I will say this much..just because its online, doesn't make it true...or false. Just because you find it on 50+ sites, doesn't make it accurate either. Check with off-net sources, former students, the better business bureo, local newspapers, etc.

Thanks for the link JK.:asian:

Ok also i didnt say anything about martial arts, There are mixed Martail arts mcdojos as well and also by hidden fees i mean you get upgraded so you can join a lvl 2 class just 199 please. that kind of bs.

Our school offers contracts or agreements. They are white belt, blue belt and black belt agreements. Basically what it comes down to is that white belt you can leave whenever you like with no "penalty charges", blue is a cheaper monthly payment but you must provide three months notice while the bb agreement is the cheapest of them all but you must provide six months notice before you leave. Basically it's a balance - you offer a commitment and you will get cheaper fees. What's my point? Buggered if I know....

Respectfully,

Given that I work as a paralegal in the real world, my outlook is this - not having a contract for a commercial school is potential suicide for the business.

Contracts outline financial responsibilities of the student, as well as defining potential liability issues. Would I teach at a commercial location without a contract? Not on your life. Does that make me a BS teacher? Not hardly. Just a legally savvy one...

Hidden fees? They are all over, and are certainly a bad thing. But so are instructors who use their students to earn a name for themselves... Judo-kid, I think you know who I am referring to, or at least you should. I mean no offense, but it is an important point that needs to be made...

Anything short of the most ethically correct behavior on the part of the teacher is reprehensible and should mark that instructor as someone that needs serious work on their character.

So Yiliquan1 are you saying that my instruters are having me go around bashing things and promoting them. Answer, Not at all.

My views are my own and no one ever tells me anything about other arts.

In my classes we focouse on fighting not on slanding other martial arts. What i do on my own i do by my self.

The only thing i would say that has anything to do with my martial arts classes that i really post online when showing my opoin is proble my Name LOL?

Back