Martial arts vs. stupidity

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As if there aren't just as many, if not more, stereotypes and misconceptions in regards to "Kung-fu"?

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well if a lay person were to accuse me of doing either Karate or Kung fu, I would not bother to become upset. They mean the same damn thing, to the lay person. If you must correct them, correct them politely. If you get upset, you give martial arts a bad name with your attitude about a simple generic term, and when you finally do identify the art you study, they may laugh about it, remembering the incident. :)
I do correct them politely, but I'm talking about people who actually study or have studied karate, not lay people.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in Texas, that's most people around me, I know how you feel. I just nod and wave it can be difficult to try teach someone something that they don't know anything about.

Best of luck with your chosen style

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As if there aren't just as many, if not more, stereotypes and misconceptions in regards to "Kung-fu"?
Karate has more misconceptions and stereotypes taken to the extreme level of stupidity. Kung fu has only a few, such as the Shaolin being super-powered beings who can not only do the amazing things they train for their whole lives, but also fly and control the elements. As for karate, we have "karate is all about breaking wood with the karate chop" (as mentioned in the original post), "in karate you learn how to do the awesome or even gravity-defying kicks from video games, movies and cartoons" (again, mentioned in the original post), "In karate you learn how to throw fireballs", "karate black belts must register their fists as deadly weapons", "karate can teach you how to kill your opponent in one strike" or "if it doesn't require you to wear a kimono (apparently that's how most karatekas refer to their gis), then it's not a martial art". And these are just the ones that came into my mind right now.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I live in Texas, that's most people around me, I know how you feel. I just nod and wave it can be difficult to try teach someone something that they don't know anything about.
I'm talking about people who actually study martial arts, not random idiots who have only seen a couple of movies and think they know what you're doing better than you know.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You bring up a point but what is happening isn't stupidity, being stupid is like knowing what is wrong but doing it anyways
If you explain differences between one style and a completely opposite style to a martial artist in the simplest way possible and they still don't understand, then it is stupidity. It's like explaining "1+1=2 because 2 comes after 1" to someone and after that, they still think that 1+1=4

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate has more misconceptions and stereotypes taken to the extreme level of stupidity. Kung fu has only a few, such as the Shaolin being super-powered beings who can not only do the amazing things they train for their whole lives, but also fly and control the elements. As for karate, we have "karate is all about breaking wood with the karate chop" (as mentioned in the original post), "in karate you learn how to do the awesome or even gravity-defying kicks from video games, movies and cartoons" (again, mentioned in the original post), "In karate you learn how to throw fireballs", "karate black belts must register their fists as deadly weapons", "karate can teach you how to kill your opponent in one strike" or "if it doesn't require you to wear a kimono (apparently that's how most karatekas refer to their gis), then it's not a martial art". And these are just the ones that came into my mind right now.
I think you should let it go. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about people who actually study martial arts, not random idiots who have only seen a couple of movies and think they know what you're doing better than you know.

Ok... so since you're a martial artist, does this mean you're stupid if you don't the differences between Tae Kwon Do and Taekwon-Do? How about TKD Moo Duk Kwan? how about tossing Tang So Do and Soo Bahk Do into the equation?

There are a billion (roughly) styles out there. Personally, I think you're getting way too worked up over this. :)

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok... so since you're a martial artist, does this mean you're stupid if you don't the differences between Tae Kwon Do and Taekwon-Do? How about TKD Moo Duk Kwan? how about tossing Tang So Do and Soo Bahk Do into the equation?
No, but a martial artist is stupid if he/she doesn't understand the differences between his/her style and a completely opposite style after someone explained them to him/her in an easy to understand manner.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, but a martial artist is stupid if he/she doesn't understand the differences between his/her style and a completely opposite style after someone explained them to him/her in an easy to understand manner.
I am starting to think the are doing this on purpose. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been following this discussion with interest but this comment has spurred me into action. First, a quick question. What do you consider the main difference between Kung Fu and Karate? I take it from the comment above that you feel they are completely opposite style. Then another question. Just how do you explain the difference in an easy to understand manner?
:asian:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

OK, so please, explain the differences between your style and mine in an easy to understand manner.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's easy, in layman terms, with Okinawan Goju Ryu, if you are attacked you can overwhelm your opponent with various types of kicks, punches, knife hand chops or even sweeps and throws,

whereas with kung fu...

...oh cr~@, wait a minute, have I been doin' chop suey kung fu all these years!?!

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's easy, in layman terms, with Okinawan Goju Ryu, if you are attacked you can overwhelm your opponent with various types of kicks, punches, knife hand chops or even sweeps and throws,

whereas with kung fu...

...oh cr~@, wait a minute, have I been doin' chop suey kung fu all these years!?!
I believe the correct term is judo chop.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Only art I know of where they refer to the uniform as a kimono is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why does everyone praise karate? Not as in "karate is the best and no other style compares to it", but as in "when you say martial arts, you refer strictly to karate". I mean, most people think karate is the only martial art in this world. I do kung fu because I hate karate with all its stereotypes and misconceptions (such as the "karate chop" thing, or "knife hand", for those who know it's not specific to karate). Some examples of what I mean:
  • Some of my younger friends know that I've been doing kung fu since I was 5. One day, we were all doing some "sparring" matches (light to no contact, of course). At first, one of them said "Whoever doesn't know karate at all, raise your hands" (most of them would use only the moves they saw in cartoons and video games). I raised my hand. And she said "I thought you've been doing karate since you were 5".
  • Another younger firend of mine doesn't do any martial art, but thinks any kick that looks awesome is karate. For example, whenever we meet (it's not very often), she asks me "Can you show me those awesome karate moves of yours?". Every time, I explain her the differences between kung fu and karate (and I think it's not hard to understand that they are completely opposite styles), and every time she forgets. Also, her godbrother does kickboxing, and she asks him the same thing.
  • Even one of the famous people from my country (Romania to be exact) said in an interview or something "I was a real tomboy when I was a child. I used to do jiu-jitsu because my childhood was full of Chinese movies with karate". (Seriously? "Chinese movies with karate"?). And to cap it all, she made a reference to Bruce Lee (I don't remember exactly what she said about him, though). Bruce Lee, the creator of Jeet Kune Do!
So, for short, what makes people so stupid? Is it because of TV shows like "Kickin' it", which is about some teens who do karate together but make references to all martial arts? Or is it just something like "if I've never heard of something, then it doesn't exist"?

In a nutshell, I'd say 99.9% of it comes down to people just being uneducated about the arts. The average non martial artist probably isn't going to know the difference between Kenpo and TKD, nor would they have a clue as to what JKD or Ninjutsu is. So, the end result? People just lump everything in the "Karate" category.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What makes people stupid? Genetics.

But, regarding the use of Karate as a generic term for martial arts, does this really still happen? I haven't run across that in a LONG time.

If anything, I get, "Oh, you train in brazilian Jiu Jitsu? My [dad/brother/uncle] is a 3rd degree black belt in American Kenpo/Wing Chun/Judo." It doesn't bother me at all. I just see it as a way for people to try and establish some common ground. Helps people get along. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why does everyone praise karate?

Because they think it's cool and they like Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, the Karate Kid franchise, and the Power Rangers.

Not as in "karate is the best and no other style compares to it", but as in "when you say martial arts, you refer strictly to karate". I mean, most people think karate is the only martial art in this world.
That isn't praising karate. That is use of the word as a category for Asian striking arts that utilize a similar skill set. It's the same reason that people called a lot of Chinese empty hand styles boxing. They don't confuse it with Western boxing, but fist fighting equated to boxing. If the term kickboxing had existed at the time, they probably would have used that instead.

I do kung fu because I hate karate with all its stereotypes and misconceptions (such as the "karate chop" thing, or "knife hand", for those who know it's not specific to karate).
No offense, but the attitude you are displaying is as ignorant as that of the people you criticize. You practice one art because you hate another art because you don't practice it and it has stereotypes? Is that really why you chose a CMA? Anyway, CMA has tons of stereotypes, arguably more than karate, depending on where you are or what era you grew up in.

• Some of my younger friends know that I've been doing kung fu since I was 5. One day, we were all doing some "sparring" matches (light to no contact, of course). At first, one of them said "Whoever doesn't know karate at all, raise your hands" (most of them would use only the moves they saw in cartoons and video games). I raised my hand. And she said "I thought you've been doing karate since you were 5".
Again, generic use of the term to describe Asian striking arts. Given that the original kanji for karate translates as 'China hand,' it might not be as inappropriate (or stupid) as you think. Given that the kanji used was changed to one that was phonetically the same but which means 'empty hand,' you have the basis for the word's use as a generic term.

If you want to get into describing a specific style, you would need to differentiate between Okinawan and Japanese karate, and then between differing ryu of each.

• Another younger firend of mine doesn't do any martial art, but thinks any kick that looks awesome is karate. For example, whenever we meet (it's not very often), she asks me "Can you show me those awesome karate moves of yours?". Every time, I explain her the differences between kung fu and karate (and I think it's not hard to understand that they are completely opposite styles), and every time she forgets. Also, her godbrother does kickboxing, and she asks him the same thing.

I'm noticing a trend here: younger friends. Also, again, use of a generic term to describe Asian fighting styles. Also, you say that karate and kung fu are opposite styles. Since you're on a terminology soapbox, lets start with this: Kung fu isn't a style. Technically, neither is karate. They're broad categories that encompass a large number of systems. Again, if you want to go into differences between styles, you'd need to actually get further in than karate vs. kung fu, such as Northern Praying Mantis vs. Goju Ryu.

And can you explain the difference between what you practice and "karate?" Do you know enough about karate to identify different ryu and to actually pick out the differences. Incidentally, since we're on the topic of terminology, it is unlikely that karate is actually "opposite" to what you practice. It may be associated with a completely different nation, but that doesn't make it its opposite. Anymore than Shotokan is opposite to boxing.

• Even one of the famous people from my country (Romania to be exact) said in an interview or something "I was a real tomboy when I was a child. I used to do jiu-jitsu because my childhood was full of Chinese movies with karate". (Seriously? "Chinese movies with karate"?). And to cap it all, she made a reference to Bruce Lee (I don't remember exactly what she said about him, though). Bruce Lee, the creator of Jeet Kune Do!
Translation: She took up the martial arts because she was inspired by Chinese movies and Bruce Lee. Sounds like everyone who took up a martial art in the seventies. Could also be that someone told her that it was karate. Or that she's relating how she saw it as a child? And whatever she said about Bruce Lee that seems to have 'capped it all' you don't even remember, so why bring it up?

So, for short, what makes people so stupid? Is it because of TV shows like "Kickin' it", which is about some teens who do karate together but make references to all martial arts? Or is it just something like "if I've never heard of something, then it doesn't exist"?
Generic word to describe Asian striking arts with similar skill sets. Just because someone practices a martial art does not mean that they're educated about other arts. It also doesn't make them stupid.

Last edited:

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's the same thing as calling every soda pop a , "coke" for coca-cola, but they're not...but it's the most advertised and purchased drink--therefore a sprite, mountain dew, fanta and all others are a, "coke." We can thank the media, marketing and advertising.
Also I would say, "stupid"...just ignorance. Educate them, no matter how many times it takes :)

Latest Discussions