Martial arts vs. stupidity

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WHAT!! :jaw-dropping: "training hasn't included an actual instructor" :confused:

JKD or "Kung Fu" or both?
I live in Romania. The best instructor I could find here was one who was teaching Japanese karate forms he was calling "Jeet Kune Do". I don't know whether it was because he knew I wanted to learn Jeet Kune Do and tried to convince me to give him my money or was simplly confusing one with another, but it did happen.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like others, I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that "Kung Fu and Karate are opposites.". Styles of CMA alone can differ significantly to other systems within the same umbrella. I believe the same goes for Karate.
I'm saying that things specific to kung fu (fluidity of movements) are the opposites of the things specific to Japanese karate (lack of fluidity in movements)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that things specific to kung fu (fluidity of movements) are the opposites of the things specific to Japanese karate (lack of fluidity in movements)

Wow.
And there you have it. Proof positive that you cannot effectively study martial arts without an instructor.
Which YouBoob video told you this bit of tripe?

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow.
And there you have it. Proof positive that you cannot effectively study martial arts without an instructor.
Which YouBoob video told you this bit of tripe?
I'm trying my best to learn on my own. What do you expect me to do? Get an aeroplane ticket to China and go to the Shaolin temple?

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I'm quite certain that some Karate is quite 'soft' and 'round' looking - I know very little of Karate myself (having never trained in it) though. The two CMAs that I currently train in are about as different from each other as this "Karate" that you're referring to.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Magical chi and flying aren't extreme stereotypes...?
I've never said that kung fu had no stupid stereotypes. I just said that karate had more of them. For example, the magical chi thing exists in karate as well. Some people think that's what you need in order to be able to do a knife hand strike.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying my best to learn on my own. What do you expect me to do? Get an aeroplane ticket to China and go to the Shaolin temple?

Find a teacher (any is better than none in the beginning) and learn from them.

Doesn't have to be a CMA either; you can learn good fundamentals from lots of MAs. One of my training buddies did Karate for about 5 years before joining the Mantis club I train at. I joined a month after he did coming from another MA background and after a few months we're both racing through the syllabus at the same rate, because we both had a good foundation in other styles.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've never said that kung fu had no stupid stereotypes. I just said that karate had more of them. For example, the magical chi thing exists in karate as well. Some people think that's what you need in order to be able to do a knife hand strike.

The point is, they both have silly stereotypes and there are charlatans out their claiming to be masters in both handing out sashes and belts but this doesn't make either one worse a MA than the other.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not shockingly, a quick application of my Google-Fu skills (which I learned without a trip to Oregon to visit the temple) returns an extensive list of schools in Romania that teach Chinese martial arts.
Without a qualified instructor, the things you think you're learning are going to be badly flawed. For example: how do you know if the videos you're using are any good? How do you know the things they're "teaching" are accurate? Without an instructor, how do you know if you're doing these things correctly (assuming, for the moment, that you've actually stumbled across a video that isn't itself horribly flawed)?

I'm quite certain that some Karate is quite 'soft' and 'round' looking - I know very little of Karate myself (having never trained in it) though. The two CMAs that I currently train in are about as different from each other as this "Karate" that you're referring to.

You don't really know anything about Karate, but you feel qualified to tell people how it differs from YouTube-Fu. Do you see the problem?

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Round doesn't necessarily mean fluid. As for the soft part, do you mean that they require less strength or that they help you concentrate (like Tai Chi does, for example)?

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not shockingly, a quick application of my Google-Fu skills (which I learned without a trip to Oregon to visit the temple) returns an extensive list of schools in Romania that teach Chinese martial arts.
Without a qualified instructor, the things you think you're learning are going to be badly flawed. For example: how do you know if the videos you're using are any good? How do you know the things they're "teaching" are accurate? Without an instructor, how do you know if you're doing these things correctly (assuming, for the moment, that you've actually stumbled across a video that isn't itself horribly flawed)?
I didn't say they were the best lessons. I would rather learn it the wrong way for free and try my best to figure out the correct way than pay to learn the same wrong way and get to think it's the right way.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You don't really know anything about Karate, but you feel qualified to tell people how it differs from YouTube-Fu. Do you see the problem?

I've seen some Karate videos that contained those elusive fluid movements that our Romanian friend was saying makes Kung Fu so different. In terms of Karate, about all I'm qualified to do is say how the thread starter is incorrect because I've seen some videos that provide evidence to the contrary. I don't think I need a certificate to notice how fluid something looks.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some Karate videos that contained those elusive fluid movements that our Romanian friend was saying makes Kung Fu so different. In terms of Karate, about all I'm qualified to do is say how the thread starter is incorrect because I've seen some videos that provide evidence to the contrary. I don't think I need a certificate to notice how fluid something looks.
Would you mind giving us the links to those videos?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm talking about people who actually study martial arts, not random idiots who have only seen a couple of movies and think they know what you're doing better than you know.

Yes that also happens, usually when people get higher in rank. I remember this good example of this one time two years ago at an event a underbelt who was correcting people a couple times the upperbelts. I think that comes from a conceited, and with that you can't correct vainglorious but you can help them see the error in their way
(apologies for not understanding the question in the first place)

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Round doesn't necessarily mean fluid. As for the soft part, do you mean that they require less strength or that they help you concentrate (like Tai Chi does, for example)?

They appeared to use soft, yielding techniques followed up with hard external force.

I've no idea the amount of strength they required; you said that Karate didn't have anything like that at all, and I said that I'd seen more than one video that suggested otherwise.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The point is, they both have silly stereotypes and there are charlatans out their claiming to be masters in both handing out sashes and belts but this doesn't make either one worse a MA than the other.
How many times do I have to repeat myself? I'm not saying that one is worse than the other. I just don't like one of them.

OP
V

vladone97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes that also happens, usually when people get higher in rank. I remember this good example of this one time two years ago at an event a underbelt who was correcting people a couple times the upperbelts. I think that comes from a conceited, and with that you can't correct vainglorious but you can help them see the error in their way
(apologies for not understanding the question in the first place)
Do you know what I like here? I like that you're the only one who hasn't insulted me yet.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Would you mind giving us the links to those videos?

I wouldn't mind at all but I didn't save a note of them. Check out some Shuri-te stuff - I think that's what I was looking at, but it was a while ago.

Latest Discussions