Movies Influence on the Martial Arts

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many people got into the martial arts due to the influence of movies or television? I know I did. For me it was David Carradine's Kung Fu series and the Octagon with Chuck Norris. It seems that I've read that many were influenced by the Samurai movies in the 50's, Bruce Lee was obviously Huge as an influence in both the Green Hornet and his movies. The 1980's saw a massive explosion of studios that catered to children due to the Karate Kid movies etc. So, how many here got into the martial arts initially due to the movies or TV?

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a big factor in my wanting to try the martial arts.

Old school 70's chinese kung fu flicks with all the cheesy sound effects, Jackie Chan stuff, "Best of the Best", Steven Seagal, and limited TV stuff.

Mostly it was a neighbor that lived down the street that really got me into martial arts big time. He trained us and we all enjoyed it. I just took it a step further and continued my training.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
How many people got into the martial arts due to the influence of movies or television? I know I did. For me it was David Carradine's Kung Fu series and the Octagon with Chuck Norris. It seems that I've read that many were influenced by the Samurai movies in the 50's, Bruce Lee was obviously Huge as an influence in both the Green Hornet and his movies. The 1980's saw a massive explosion of studios that catered to children due to the Karate Kid movies etc. So, how many here got into the martial arts initially due to the movies or TV?
i didnt go into martial arts because of the movie, but one reason i am connected to martial arts at all times is movies.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stands up... shuffles feet, head bowed.... raises hand partially/meekly....

Guilty as well.

Dave Carridine's performances in Kung Fu (TV series) and Bruce Lee.

sorry to say Rich Parsons wasn't an influence :eek:

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TOTALLY GUILTY!

My initial interest in the Martial Arts stemmed from watching David Carradine in the Kung Fu series. Bruce Lee's movies affected me greatly as did the classic movie Billy Jack.

I would say that the next generation of Martial Arts students is getting worked up watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, house of Flying Daggers, Ong Bak and even today Bruce Lee's movies.

What I truly appreciate though is how Martial Arts is making it's way into mainstream movies and television more and more. Films like The Matrix, Batman Begins, and TV series like SG-1 and SG:Atlantis are bringing the Arts out of the Niche movie into more mainstream entertainment.

Rob

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Phadrus00 said:
TOTALLY GUILTY!

My initial interest in the Martial Arts stemmed from watching David Carradine in the Kung Fu series. Bruce Lee's movies affected me greatly as did the classic movie Billy Jack.

I would say that the next generation of Martial Arts students is getting worked up watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, house of Flying Daggers, Ong Bak and even today Bruce Lee's movies.

What I truly appreciate though is how Martial Arts is making it's way into mainstream movies and television more and more. Films like The Matrix, Batman Begins, and TV series like SG-1 and SG:Atlantis are bringing the Arts out of the Niche movie into more mainstream entertainment.

Rob

Damn. I forgot about Billy Jack! I loved those movies! They totally inspired a lot of people! God help you if you picked on Billy Jack's hippies! :)

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Now those doods have got some moves!!

LOL

Some of my earliest and fondest memories were of Monkey and Kung fu.

But it is interesting how it opened my eyes to something that I had never even heard of, had it not been for TV (I used to live in a very isolated village).

Most recently, I would have to say that Ong Bak is a superb film and a lot more gritty and realistic (mainly because Tony Ja does all his own stunts with no wire work, safety nets etc) akin to old Jacky "Armour of God" Chan.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Damn. I forgot about Billy Jack! I loved those movies! They totally inspired a lot of people! God help you if you picked on Billy Jack's hippies! :)

Oh my Gawd..How could I also forget that movie..We all walked around for months quoting his "I'm gonna to take my left foot" line...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guilty here as well.:ultracool Chuck Norris, Seagal, Karate Kid and the Kung Fu show all played a part.

Mike

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
phlaw said:
I am very happy to say that my first "sensei" was Mr. Miyagi :)

Ditto. ;) I was a teenager when "The Karate Kid" was released. I practiced "wax on, wax off" before starting TKD training a couple years later.

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Karate Kid definetly got me involved in the martial arts! I used to watch it daily along with Enter the Dragon and No Retreat No Surrender.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
though movies did not send me off wanting to learn. I am guilty of watching them because of my M/A interest the kung fu series in what 1972 i sure liked. Kato i wased green hornet a few times in the late 60s. The billy Jack movies remember trial of billy Jack broke the box office records for that time In 1975. Bruces movies of coarse Watched them all Chuck Norris first movie Breaker Breaker was not that great but still headed out to the movie to watch it. remember the early 80s Ninja craze was in. kids would come to the school thinking they would learn that. I think alot of people have been brought into the M/A world by watching movies Or have watched the M/A movies because they were part of the M/A training Now if we could just fight off 50 people and win like some of the movies have shown But never the less they are good to watch at times

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's interesting how people (myself included) will watch a movie or TV show and then go out and study a martial art that's different than the one that was shwon in the movie. I loved "Kung Fu" but the only martial arts in the town I was in were Judo, and Shotokan Karate. I knew that karate had the kicks, so that's where I went. I remember the Nija craze also and forgot to add that one in to the list. I remember many apocryphal stories about modern nija etc. at the time. There should be a field of study called "Crypto-Martial Arts" to parallel Cryptozoology where we search for the esoteric fables in the martial arts world the same way cryptozoologists search for Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was power rangers for me. Of course it would take 10 years after that initial spark for me to actually start taking martial arts.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stands up... shuffles feet, head bowed.... raises hand partially/meekly....

Guilty as well.

Dave Carridine's performances in Kung Fu (TV series) and Bruce Lee.

sorry to say Rich Parsons wasn't an influence :eek:

That is ok.

I fear that I might negatively impact others. I am glad I have not negatively impacted you. ;)

Latest Discussions