Martial Art Style Translations

OP
S

shihantae

Thanks for the adivce.
I have 38yrs worth of MA books, and five JJapanese teachers. So like I said. Why the fuss. I know where i got my info. And the schools that I visited while gathering the history of the different arts.

I can't help it if they don't agree with you.

Sheesh, what is the problem? I didn't say you couldn't have it your way. I just know what I have been told by other masters.

Have a good one, I thank you need it. If I had known you were going to get bent out of shape I wouldn't have answered. :rofl:

Peace,
Tae

OP
S

shihantae

Oh BTW,
I never said "Jitsu" was not a word. I said it is the Americanized spelling of the phnoic Japanese pronuciation. I just wanted to straighten that out. so there would not be any more misunderstandings.

Wow, this is getting funny.:rofl:

Peace,
Tae

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by shihantae

I have a number of Chinese history books that cover the different Wing Chun systems, but they all said the same thing.

Gee, what difference does it make? It's like people who think all TKD is WTF when it isn't. No matter what the Assoc..the TKD has the same roots.;)

So it is with different styles. Check the history of the originator, the nun who founded it in the 1800's. Also, look into a book Called the "history of Chinese arts." I will find the other one tommorrow.

There are three execellent books on the Japanese arts.
"Classical Bu-jutsu"
"Classical Ken-jutsu"
"Modern Budo"

These are excellent history books.

Peace,
tae

If you are referring to the Draeger books, then the titles are:

Classical Bujutsu
Classical Budo
Modern Bujutsu and Budo

And I agree, these are excellent sources for the traditional Japanese arts. Regarding the terms 'jutsu' and 'jitsu', the books prove diddly-squat either way. However, as I've already said, they are excellent reference material for the Japanese arts. For that matter, pretty much anything Draeger has ever written (with or without Robert Smith) should be required reading for any martial arts bibliophile.

As to the history of Wing Chun, they don't all share a common history. Yip Man Wing Chun is by far the most popular and well known system of Wing Chun in existence. Some of the other systems have fewer practitioners worldwide than your average Yip Man-lineage Wing Chun school. When a system is that popular, and when there is precious little source material on other systems, then of course most people will only be familiar with the one system.

It's probably incorrect of me to keep using the phrase 'Yip Man Wing Chun', since his main instructors (Chan Wah-Shun, Ng Jung-So, and according to some accounts, Leung Bik) had other students who went on to teach all over China. However, since by all accounts (save one) that these people pretty much practiced the same 'brand' of Wing Chun, and Yip Man's name is now fairly well-connected to Wing Chun, I use his name, since most will understand what 'flavor' of Wing Chun I'm talking about ("Beautiful Spring Time" translation, forms: SLT, CK, BJ, BJD, 6.5pt pole, 108-dummy 'form', etc.).

The other systems exist. The book is there to describe them and their histories. While there are many similarities to the histories of the different systems, there are just as many glaring inconsistencies. Some say it was the nun (Ng Mui) who created the system. Others say it was the woman Ng Mui taught (Wing Chun). Still others say it was Wing Chun's husband who refined the art and named it for her after she died. And I think there is one system that doesn't have a woman named Wing Chun in its history at all.

The book goes into more detail, which I won't cover here. If you want to learn more, then read the book. If you're content with your previously knowledge, that's just as well.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by shihantae

Oh BTW,
I never said "Jitsu" was not a word. I said it is the Americanized spelling of the phnoic Japanese pronuciation. I just wanted to straighten that out. so there would not be any more misunderstandings.

Wow, this is getting funny.:rofl:

Peace,
Tae

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. What I am asserting is that the term 'jitsu' isn't always used as a corruption of the term 'jutsu'. The vast majority of the time, it is just a mispronuciation of 'justu', but there are one or two systems that actually use 'jitsu' to describe their system.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think both points are clear.

Now play nice or I'll start making folks stand in the corners.

(does a web have corners?) :D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

I think both points are clear.

Now play nice or I'll start making folks stand in the corners.

(does a web have corners?) :D

My browser has corners...does that count? ;) IE, being a gaping security hole, obviously doesn't have corners.

I gotta watch it. Last time I bad-mouthed MicroSoft, I got stuck in BOSD hell. Very freaky. Said something nasty about M$ and had about 7 BOSDs in a row.

Scary.

Cthulhu

OP
S

shihantae

Chul there are six books in all, so try the others.

I have all 5. The other two cover Kenjutsu/kendo(both in one book) and Classical Iaijutsu/modern Budo. Not everything my frind is written by Draeger, although his books are good also.

There is a book alone that is not a draeger book, that is called "modern Budo". Also try these.

Now as it seems that everytime I answer you, it offends you. I won't be answering again. Since I am not the type to want to offend anyone. Please do find those books. I wish you well sith your training.

Peace,
Tae :asian:

Latest Discussions