MA for Self-Defense?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even though some MA may have things that work better for some people in different applications, I don't know that it would be correct to say any MA is better than another. I think properly learned, all MA are good for SD.

Just my thoughts for your consideration.
All MA are good for SD. How they are taught can be devestating to Your Abilities.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood. My point is, that to become proficient at any technique requires repetition and more repetition. Learning a little about a lot of things makes that very difficult and most I know that train that way are all around mediocre. Your initial post indicates to me a lack of understanding of the art your training in. In other words, you haven't grasped the capabilities of the techniques that art offers or more likely, just haven't experienced them yet. Most Taekwondo practitioners I know have little knowledge of all the techniques we employ. I'm only suggesting you may want to consider that before moving on to something else. I would recommend a heart to heart with your "traditional" instructor. Let him/her provide a larger picture for you. The techniques are there.

I have to +1 this post. Taekwondo, like the Karate arts that preceeded it are filled with solid, practical principles of self-defense. As I always list, they contain, in addition to strikes & kicks principles of locking, choking, throwing, balance displacement, misplacing the bone/tendon, sealing the breath/artery and cavity pressing. TKD just isn't necessarily taught this way as it has a big sporting aspect.

In addition to this type of information, the 'way' that training is approached is a major factor. For additonal reading, if you're interested; http://excoboard.com/martialwarrior/148250/1801375

OP
F

FizzyCal

White Belt
Reaction score
Even though it seems that some don't approve. I found a krav maga school in Chicago at highland park. I will be going there Sunday to check it out. It's called Chicago krav maga. Just wondering if anyone's heard of it or it's reputation. Or if anyone knows of school between Springfield, Il and Chicago? It seems a little pricey. I'd like to find something a little cheaper.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
fizzycal, my only advice to you would be to stick to styles that compliment the TKD. Whilst every art is different in terms of range etc the most important thing for me if you are blending arts is to find ones that have similar philosophies and common ground in terms of absolute fundamentals. For example studying a style that emphasises rear leg weighting at the same time as one that emphasises front leg weighting, or one that emphasises balls of the toes versus flat of the foot etc will lead to confusion at a subconcious level and reduce your effectiveness in a SHTF situation. As others have said its often the way you train rather than what you train that makes the biggest difference and you might find a new buzz from your TKD simply by taking a tangential approach to your training (try some full contact stuff, some fighting from the floor, use of equipment etc, etc) at the end of the day having a huge tool kit is useless if you can't find the tool that you need.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even though it seems that some don't approve. I found a krav maga school in Chicago at highland park.
I don't think it's a matter of approve or don't approve. It was merely advise based on information you provided, but at the end of the day, you have to make the decision you feel is best for you. I'm sure everyone wishes you nothing but success in your search. :)

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
or Hapkido. (may also wanna look at other Korean styles such as Hwarangdo...)

Last edited by a moderator:

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice, go and get a permit to purchase a firearm and get training in the art of pistol shooting. If self-defense is a goal, it is hard to beat training in modern pistol shooting for self-defense. If you live in a state where citizens can carry a pistol in open or concealed carry, get that training and get that permit and carry a pistol for self-defense. A person trained in defensive shooting is a hard person to victimize, even by multiple attackers, even when you may be injured or sick, or in the company of family members who are also targets of the attack. Imagine trying any other art mentioned here with a broken femur in a cast.

If you are looking for another art to study with self-defense applications that isn't pistol shooting, try the FMA. If you live near chicago I can recommend some instructors, specifically the one I train with. Let me know.

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First I'd like to thank Ofteherd1 for giving a better description of an art that is gaining in popularity for good reason. Law Enforcement Agencies are starting to see the potential for it's use all over the country. I'd like to offer an olive branch to Fizzycal and some of my own personal experience. I have an Internationally recognized Krav Maga school about an hour 1/2 from me. I spoke with the instructor & the national director about getting a Law Enforcement coarse brought to West Virginia. WV teaches American Combative to LEO. I did my research. As most know its a mix of several arts. Another name for MMA. Do I think its a solid system. Yes. Do I think you can get the same results by going to a gym that practices Jui Jitsu and Muay Thai. Absolutely. And more than likely for a lot less. Thats why I didn't go any further with it than I did. LEOs don't make a lot of money in this state. Right now it's a "key word" like BJJ has been for awhile. Good solid system yes. Well advertised yes. Over priced yes. And before anybody gets huffy thinking I'm knocking their system or art, I'm not. But just about everyone here has agreed before some systems who have come into the limelight for awhile will use the name to make money. (side note the Krav Maga school close to me is actually quite affordable) And when it comes to MMA I don't think it's necessary to go spend big bucks on a system that stems form several and is ever changing. The same as any other MMA. Just like any MMA you just need the right mix of stand up, ground work, and defensive techniques. You have a good base. My suggestion is find an MMA gym and I think you'll get what your looking for. I hope I've been some help.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or Hapkido. (may also wanna look at other Korean styles such as Hwarangdo...)

Properly taught (in terms of traditional self-defense applications), Taekwondo has many/most of the same principles and techniques found in Hapkido. One simply has to train in that venue.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK there are a lot of good systems out there. TKD, well it comes in assorted flavors, from olympic yech, to what the ROK Rangers and ROK Marines use! the latter are serious about self defense and hurting any attacker to death. but there is of course Okinawan Karate, a much different feel then TKD even of the ROK Marines. there are a lot of other arts, from Aikido to Sambo. But, there is also the carry and use of a pistol. either way doesn't matter how good you are, there is always some one better, stronger, faster, better trained. best defense... don't be there! other wise train hard. krav is a troop style. designed to be learned relatively fast, and give you tools to deal with most people. ( it was not really intended to teach you to deal with a well trained martial artist but other types of people. criminals on the street as a cop, or conscript soldiers in the military of Isrial ) between them, if you want to do something else, look at Karate, Aikido, Sambo, Systima, even a good kodakan Judo dojo. or one of the old samurai Jujitsu styles. most important is to train hard .

my suggestion would be something like Shobayashi Shorin Ryu, or Matsumura Seito. but then they are my choices for myself.:jediduel:

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it's only for self-defense why don't you try Aikido or Krav Maga? I think that Krav Maga is better because it teaches you how to use your instinctive moves against real-life threats.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it's only for self-defense why don't you try Aikido or Krav Maga? I think that Krav Maga is better because it teaches you how to use your instinctive moves against real-life threats.
Krav every time if you need something effective quickly. I've been learning Aikido over 5 years and still wouldn't trust it alone for SD at this time.

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga is the best self-defence martial art in the world IF taught properly! A lot of Krav Maga schools don't teach properly because most people don't actually know the original techniques that were taugh so be careful there. Other than that I would suggest either Aikido or Ju-Jitsu (which I do).

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Krav Maga is the best self-defence martial art in the world IF taught properly! A lot of Krav Maga schools don't teach properly because most people don't actually know the original techniques that were taugh so be careful there. Other than that I would suggest either Aikido or Ju-Jitsu (which I do).
Apart from the fact that this is an old thread, did you actually read it? Did you read my post immediately above yours? Just how much aikido experience do you have to make that recommendation?

I would also like to supplement my training with something that could offer good, practicle self-defense. I am considering Krav Maga. Anyone have any thoughts on that or perhaps good suggestions for other styles that may have good self-defense? I know that studying a style of martial art is studying self-defense in-and-of-itself. But I'd like to consider a style that really focuses on "self-defense" not just hand-to-hand combat (if that makes any sense).

I happen to believe KM is one of the best self defence systems, full stop. However, as the OP said, any style of Martial Art is a form of self defence. How effective it is depends on a variety of things including the time you need to spend before you are proficient in using the art for self defence and the quality of instruction.

Now, with regard to your recommendation of aikido to supplement TKD. How long do you think it will take to become proficient? I can tell you from five and a half years of aikido training with a long background in RB karate, that there is no way I could use pure aikido for self defence. I reckon I'm still a few years off that level. Even as a supplement it takes a lot of training before the locks an holds become instinctive. The reason aikido is good for my training is that I can incorporate aspects of it into my teaching. That's not going to be possible for FizzyCal because he is a student of TKD. Another reason aikido would not be in my top five list for FizzyCal is that it is a soft art and to blend that softness into TKD would take some doing.

As for jujutsu, fine and probably a good mix with TKD, but still a long training time to become proficient.

For a style that focuses on 'good, practical self defence', KM is probably the first choice. :asian:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this statement is based on your deep knowledge of KM which you claim elsewhere to have never trained in? Or is it based on the ~1 month of training you claim to have in JJ?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With respect, this is incorrect. That distinction, in the modern era, would go to WWII combatives as taught by Faibairn, Applegate, Sikes, O'Neill etc. It has the track record for being the most brutal system taught in the shortest amount of time with the highest retention rate in long term memory. It is gross-motor skill to the extreme. KM, will good for SD is like TKD (and other arts) in that it has taken an unfortunate turn (IMO) to sport. The sport applications are often taught in lieu of SD, but called SD. I can tell you this first hand as I'm a KM instructor, have seen KM being taught here in the west and have compared it to what is taught in Israel (I have family in Israel including a niece in the IDF).

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
FizzyCal,

I have heard lots of good things about Krav Maga, but I have never actually seen it in action or observed a lesson.

I didn't have time to read every reply to this thread, so I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but wing chun kung fu is a very practical self-defense style. Why? Because it is close-range, like a lot of real fights. It is also helpful in one situation that grappling isn't: multiple opponents. Last but not least, I have always appreciated the focus on speed over power. A lot of people don't see the point in focusing on hitting your opponent with a string of "weak" punches and expending a bunch of energy when you could go for one killer knockout blow and be done with it. Here is the reason I see behind it: if my string of "weak" punches crashes into your nose while you are still winding up for that knockout blow (which never lands), then who will win the fight?

Again, wing chun is my personal preference. There were a lot of other good styles suggested on the replies that I had the time to read.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Back in the Day", it was not unusal that TKD was supplemented with Yudo, Hapkido, etc., which were focused on a self defense curriculum separate from the TKD

I came across a few TKD instructors nowadays, who actually become concern with self defnse, as their clintele base is those whom want the sport or fun activity of it.

Self Defense "isn't all about" learning "physical applications"

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't have time to read every reply to this thread, so I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but wing chun kung fu is a very practical self-defense style. Why? Because it is close-range, like a lot of real fights. It is also helpful in one situation that grappling isn't: multiple opponents. Last but not least, I have always appreciated the focus on speed over power. A lot of people don't see the point in focusing on hitting your opponent with a string of "weak" punches and expending a bunch of energy when you could go for one killer knockout blow and be done with it. Here is the reason I see behind it: if my string of "weak" punches crashes into your nose while you are still winding up for that knockout blow (which never lands), then who will win the fight?

Again, wing chun is my personal preference. There were a lot of other good styles suggested on the replies that I had the time to read.
The OP was asking for suggestions of an art to supplement his TKD in terms of self defence. Do you think someone would benefit from training both WC and TKD and how long until it might be useful for SD? :asian:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe it is the instructor and the training regimen which will determine if a system is more defense orientated or sport, not the system per se. Does the school train for sporting or do they train for slef defense? I would be wary of schools that offer to be the best of both worlds. While there certainly is some cross-over, there is a completely different mind set to training for sport and defense.

The midwest is a big place :) If you are near the Kansas City area I could give you a couple of schools' names.

Latest Discussions