Last Poster #7

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got SCUBA certified in Mexico (warm weather). It was a boat dive and all I had on was swim trunks. Dropped right into a school of Moon Jelly's and sea nettles. That was a sucky day.
Ouch!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rough day a work... Adminstrative stuff rather than bad guys. Had to counsel two different employees for different reasons. One is in field training... and struggling. Great attitude, but... The other has been on for a bit, but just has a very unrealistic understanding of what's expected... and doesn't get why one month of effort doesn't overcome years of lower performance. They aren't happy, but don't seem to be doing anything to be happier.

I get folks who view law enforcement as a job rather than a sacred calling -- and agree with them. But if you're not finding any fun in your job... why devote the years of effort to getting it, then keep struggling for more than 2000 hours a year, commuting and stuff on days off not included?

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rough day a work... Adminstrative stuff rather than bad guys. Had to counsel two different employees for different reasons. One is in field training... and struggling. Great attitude, but... The other has been on for a bit, but just has a very unrealistic understanding of what's expected... and doesn't get why one month of effort doesn't overcome years of lower performance. They aren't happy, but don't seem to be doing anything to be happier.

I get folks who view law enforcement as a job rather than a sacred calling -- and agree with them. But if you're not finding any fun in your job... why devote the years of effort to getting it, then keep struggling for more than 2000 hours a year, commuting and stuff on days off not included?
I remember the days when 10% of my guys took up 90% of my time. It’s good to be retired!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Home improvement project:
Fixing the window pane that blew out during the last storm.
Essentially no biggy, get glass cut, putty the thing in the cleaned up opening. DONE

Well
The window is on the back of the house, about 7 feet up.
Ok, purchased the ladder.
Went to the big box store to get glass cut and to pick up a few more essentials: Glazing points and the glaze. I was also going to grab a tube of the ready cement mix to squirt into masonry cracks.

BUT
I had a window of about an hour to grab the supplies.
All good, the store is 5 min from the house, should be doable.

I walk in and request help as I walk past the service counter.
Then I wait
And wait
Then I hail down a worker bee and they hail the glass cutting person per 'walki talki'
Then I wait some more.
Make small talk with a guy buying 7 hard hats and 3 Hi0Viz vests
Then I wait some more.
Then I walk back to the service desk and leave my empty cart right there
After letting the person know why I am leaving and that I will be going to the other big box across town.

At home I am fuming
Then I regain my brain functions and find a local small shop in town. Yes they do indeed cut glass to order.
So I head on down, prompt service, no attitude, and I buy my glazing points (I found the glaze in the garage as I was rummaging.)
So I spend a little under $20 in a locally owned shop.
Got my window fixed and feel mighty accomplished!
I will keep them in mind for future projects.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All I did today was collect limbs around my yard and cut them up.....all that is left are a bunch limbs to small for the Chain saw, I don't feel like using the hand saw or chopping them up and I forgot to charge the electric saw batteries.... so... more to do tomorrow.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I did today was collect limbs around my yard and cut them up.....all that is left are a bunch limbs to small for the Chain saw, I don't feel like using the hand saw or chopping them up and I forgot to charge the electric saw batteries.... so... more to do tomorrow.
I really need to get off my butt and do this as well. Problem is, my yard is 2 acres. Maybe I just need to stop being so cheap and hire someone…

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH WHOSE LIMBS

Latest Discussions