Last Poster #7

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a lot to digest, for sure. I've heard that elephant poop coffee is in vogue now, too. Personally, I think that there are a lot of really great specialty coffee farms out there growing outstanding coffee. There was a time when Kona, Jamaica Blue Mountain, and other similar places, were about the only farms around really focusing on high quality coffee. These beans are $30/lbs and up, but I think mostly that's mostly based on reputation. But those days are long gone. I paid $30 a pound for those anaerobic ethiopian beans, and they were delicious. But I've had equally delicious Ethiopian naturals that were $7 a pound that were simply just less trendy.

99% of what I roast is $4 to $8 per pound.
Somewhere around twenty years ago I was in one of the premier coffee places on Maui, I used to go there a lot. So many different coffee it blew the mind.

One day I asked the owner what the best coffee he had was. He told me Jamaica Blue Mountain, so I bought a pound, whole bean. Tried the coffee that day, it was the weakest coffee I've ever experienced. Even tried tripling the amount for a single cup, to no avail.

The beans looked good, smelled good. My question is - is it possible the bag was old and had lost it's zing? Or maybe it was the wrong beans that went into the wrong bag? I don't know. But it was my most memorable coffee experience, even though it was a bad one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What commercially available organic coffee bean do you recommend? I like a medium roast in most cases, likely because I don’t know much about what I would like more. Smooth, and not too acidic, not too extreme on the caffeine. I take a small amount of sugar and a spot of grass fed cream. Bourgeois, but without any culture or knowledge of the craft, that’s me.
I don’t buy a lot of roasted coffee. But when I do I buy it from local roasters who put the date roasted on the bag. I’d look for coffee roasted within 2 to 3 weeks of when you’re buying it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a weird period at work, where I'm stuck between projects with nothing to do the last few days. Which is fine..but my boss and his boss are visiting next week per company requirements. Normally, this would concern me.

Except my company's mad at them for not being willing to relocate permanently, so my boss is no longer my boss-instead, for all of us in-office, we have people unrelated to our jobs that are also in-office become our bosses. But they don't know what we do, so instruct us to update our former bosses (who will be visiting) for everything.

This does mean that my title change from support to implementation is on the backburner for most of them. But I've never done support (here), only implementation...but my former bosses budget did not provide for implementation, so he hired me for support and informed me of the duties after. So I have a new boss who's the boss for onsite support, working with products I don't work with, as a support lead, while my job is to implement an entirely different application to some clients, and provide trainings on another application to others, and also be a DBA to another client, but that's all decided by my old boss, so HR and the vp of support don't agree.

But my old boss/coworkers (who are the former vp/pres of the company that developed the main app I work with), and his boss expect me to continue doing that work, knowing there's not much support expected for an app that's been around mostly unchanged for 10 years, disagree with the VP, and want me focused on implementation. No one's suggested that I do support for the app that my new boss specializes in. On friday, he learned the name of the application that I primarily use. He's actually a pretty cool guy, a work-friend, and knows I'm separate from the other people under him. But if I have issues, I can't go to him, and if I call out sick, I technically tell him and not my old boss, who I guess finds out when I don't reply to his messages.
Confused? So am I. It'll be an interesting week next week when they visit.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Have a weird period at work, where I'm stuck between projects with nothing to do the last few days. Which is fine..but my boss and his boss are visiting next week per company requirements. Normally, this would concern me.

Except my company's mad at them for not being willing to relocate permanently, so my boss is no longer my boss-instead, for all of us in-office, we have people unrelated to our jobs that are also in-office become our bosses. But they don't know what we do, so instruct us to update our former bosses (who will be visiting) for everything.

This does mean that my title change from support to implementation is on the backburner for most of them. But I've never done support (here), only implementation...but my former bosses budget did not provide for implementation, so he hired me for support and informed me of the duties after. So I have a new boss who's the boss for onsite support, working with products I don't work with, as a support lead, while my job is to implement an entirely different application to some clients, and provide trainings on another application to others, and also be a DBA to another client, but that's all decided by my old boss, so HR and the vp of support don't agree.

But my old boss/coworkers (who are the former vp/pres of the company that developed the main app I work with), and his boss expect me to continue doing that work, knowing there's not much support expected for an app that's been around mostly unchanged for 10 years, disagree with the VP, and want me focused on implementation. No one's suggested that I do support for the app that my new boss specializes in. On friday, he learned the name of the application that I primarily use. He's actually a pretty cool guy, a work-friend, and knows I'm separate from the other people under him. But if I have issues, I can't go to him, and if I call out sick, I technically tell him and not my old boss, who I guess finds out when I don't reply to his messages.
Sounds exhausting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I feel your pain. My office is in transition from state to private corporation. Once my boos retires, and that is soon. I will be the last Government worker standing (the last of the Mohicans if you will). They have discussed me being help desk, my boss pushed back and told them I have way to much to do and I'm level 3 now. He will not allow them to tie me to the help desk. They then talked about changing my supervisor to one of their people when my boss retires.... Can't do that either, against Civil Service law.... I will start looking for a lateral to another department in August. Even my boss thinks that is a good idea.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Catching up on the latest sumo basho, and have noticed a couple places (mostly where they're stuck pressed against each other) that I personally would have gone for a double leg takedown. I checked and it's a legal move, but almost never used. Given how effective it is in wrestling, and part of why judo banned it is because it's so effective, it seems odd to me that it's not used in sumo. Is there something I'm missing? @Steve @Tony Dismukes Figure you two might have an answer for me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catching up on the latest sumo basho, and have noticed a couple places (mostly where they're stuck pressed against each other) that I personally would have gone for a double leg takedown. I checked and it's a legal move, but almost never used. Given how effective it is in wrestling, and part of why judo banned it is because it's so effective, it seems odd to me that it's not used in sumo. Is there something I'm missing? @Steve @Tony Dismukes Figure you two might have an answer for me.
Mass? Most sumo wrestlers aren't small -- and there are no weight classes...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m curious what @Tony Dismukes thinks, too. I am far from an expert, but I think the risk of being smushed (a technical term) is pretty high. If you drop, the other guy can just come down on top of you. I’ve seen single legs succeed, but it’s usually off the tachiai, where they either hit hard and then drop right away, or just sidestep the initial tachiai completely and go straight for the leg as a henka move.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m curious what @Tony Dismukes thinks, too. I am far from an expert, but I think the risk of being smushed (a technical term) is pretty high. If you drop, the other guy can just come down on top of you. I’ve seen single legs succeed, but it’s usually off the tachiai, where they either hit hard and then drop right away, or just sidestep the initial tachiai completely and go straight for the leg as a henka move.
Yeah, the henka single leg pick works pretty well (though apparently is un-honorable according to some announcers). but you can typically do a double leg takedown quick enough that when you're both stuck I'd imagine as a surprise move it should work pretty well. If they expect it, they can sprawl and crush you to the ground, but given it almost never happens, seems like a good surprise tech.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which makes sense, if they're expecting it, but if they're not it should still work.
Aren't they also limited to only their feet touching the ground in the circle? So, going for a double leg might be just too easy to be off balanced or drop a knee to the ground...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aren't they also limited to only their feet touching the ground in the circle? So, going for a double leg might be just too easy to be off balanced or drop a knee to the ground...
That's a good point. If I'm going for a takedown I'm unconcerned about if a knee falls so long as I get them down...I wonder how different it'll be if I can't drop a knee. Might have to experiment with that.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the main reason why you don't see many double-legs in Sumo is the "no touching the ground with anything but the bottoms of your feet" rule, which rules out low double-legs.

High double-legs are hard because the wrestlers are in a pretty low, wide stance. It's much easier to reach the mawashi than the legs. Also they're extremely heavy, which makes it unlikely to pull off the version of a double leg where you just pick up your opponent. (If a wrestler has the size and strength advantage to pick up their opponent, then they can just carry their opponent out of the ring.

Straight-blast doubles carry a high risk of being slapped down. Plus, if you have the drive to pull off a straight-blast double, then you can just push your opponent out of the ring.

You see more double and single leg takedowns in amateur Sumo, where there are weight divisions and lighter competitors.

Latest Discussions