Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think we should have some sort of rule where once a thread reaches 50 post count, everyone participating has to make their next post explaining what their viewpoint is without responding to someone else.

Otherwise everyone just goes around and around and around for 100 more posts with no actual communication occurring.
A good rule.
When I was younger I had 3 motorcycles, first was. Harley Davidson SXT 125. Later came a Yamaha Seca 750, then a BMW R100RT....... I have not had a motorcycle in about 25 years..... almost got a Harley Davidson Sportster a few years ago.... but I meant and Married Mrs Xue..... Found myself in a Harley dealer this morning....looking at a Low Rider.... sat on it....and it felt real good to feel like myself again.....going to have to think about getting me a bike again....A Harley Low Rider or a Fatboy......
Why not? Do it. Enjoy it while you can. i wholeheartedly endorse this idea.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Adding armed police to high schools doesn't make everyone feel more safe.
Maybe not anymore, but it used to.

I worked Boston Public schools for several years during forced Busing. Things got really bad. So they brought in a hundred and fifty Boston Police Officers who lined the corridors. (all on overtime) They were there every day....for months.

Everyone felt safe, myself included. Probably different now, I dunno'.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have a gun fetish in this country. It is perverse

Yeah. Sort of.

The issue is nothing gets done. So if you do have a gun fettish. Then turn schools in to bunkers and teachers in to SWAT.

Or you don't and create some sort of legislation that prevents nut jobs getting guns in to schools to shoot kids.

Or at this stage literally anything.

Even a discount on kiddie sized flak jackets would be a start.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Sort of.

The issue is nothing gets done. So if you do have a gun fettish. Then turn schools in to bunkers and teachers in to SWAT.

Or you don't and create some sort of legislation that prevents nut jobs getting guns in to schools to shoot kids.

Or at this stage literally anything.

Even a discount on kiddie sized flak jackets would be a start.
but the heads.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Maybe not anymore, but it used to.

I worked Boston Public schools for several years during forced Busing. Things got really bad. So they brought in a hundred and fifty Boston Police Officers who lined the corridors. (all on overtime) They were there every day....for months.

Everyone felt safe, myself included. Probably different now, I dunno'.

Yeah, but those were Boston Police, and I know from my days after highschool hanging out in Boston..... Nobody messes with Boston PD.... if they have a brain in their head ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, but those were Boston Police, and I know from my days after highschool hanging out in Boston..... Nobody messes with Boston PD.... if they have a brain in their head ;)
There's more to the story. Right down the street from the high School I worked, three blocks away, was The First National (grocery store chain) parking lot. In that parking lot, on standby, were two buses full of what used to be called the TPF (tactical police force) There were around sixty of them at all times.

They were handpicked officers, in jump suits, carrying big riot batons. They came in when things got too out of control. (and they came in hard) They were also ALL on overtime.

Several years later, some very sharp people I know did a study. A study of what court ordered desegregation cost the city of Boston. With the figure they came up with, which was on the conservative side, the city could have built, and staffed, state of the art high schools in every single neighborhood in the city of Boston.

It was the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. It ruined kids educations, had terrible permanent effects on most of the kids, both black and white, and actually escalated racial unrest for a couple of decades.

The good old federal government - don't think about it, just throw money at it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's more to the story. Right down the street from the high School I worked, three blocks away, was The First National (grocery store chain) parking lot. In that parking lot, on standby, were two buses full of what used to be called the TPF (tactical police force) There were around sixty of them at all times.

They were handpicked officers, in jump suits, carrying big riot batons. They came in when things got too out of control. (and they came in hard) They were also ALL on overtime.

Several years later, some very sharp people I know did a study. A study of what court ordered desegregation cost the city of Boston. With the figure they came up with, which was on the conservative side, the city could have built, and staffed, state of the art high schools in every single neighborhood in the city of Boston.

It was the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. It ruined kids educations, had terrible permanent effects on most of the kids, both black and white, and actually escalated racial unrest for a couple of decades.

we ain't doing that logic thing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you feel desegregation was the wrong thing to do?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you feel desegregation was the wrong thing to do?
it was done the wrong way and way more expensive than it needed to be.
I gathered.
creating more ill will at a cost that could have solved the problem more elegantly by simply building new and better schools.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, not at all. It's the way it was done. It works pretty well when you start with young children coming up through the grades. It doesn't just acclimate them to it, they build friendships with other kids regardless of race or any other factor.

The way they did it in Boston was nuts. And of the most infuriating things was when they sent observers from Washington to see how it was going. They sat outside in the nicest bus/motor home you ever saw. And they waited until they got the signal that the corridors were clear and everyone was in class.

Then they came in, walked around as quickly as they could, and then skedaddled. Twenty minutes later when the classes changed, there was one of the biggest riots we had ever had. It was truly crazy.

But them good old Washington fellas got to go back and say it was working beautifully.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, not at all. It's the way it was done. It works pretty well when you start with young children coming up through the grades. It doesn't just acclimate them to it, they build friendships with other kids regardless of race or any other factor.

The way they did it in Boston was nuts. And of the most infuriating things was when they sent observers from Washington to see how it was going. They sat outside in the nicest bus/motor home you ever saw. And they waited until they got the signal that the corridors were clear and everyone was in class.

Then they came in, walked around as quickly as they could, and then skedaddled. Twenty minutes later when the classes changed, there was one of the biggest riots we had ever had. It was truly crazy.

But them good old Washington fellas got to go back and say it was working beautifully.
I appreciate the clarification.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ugh.. Achilles tendon injury.. no idea how that happened! It's not too bad but at the end range of dorsiflexion it hurts, especially at the heel end. So walking is tricky especially when the ankle goes into the stretched position... Fun....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So am sick of wallowing in self pity and losing myself in utter frustration every time an injury comes up... so imma roast!

Colombian Pink Bourbon (double fermentation), always had trouble roasting this one!; and a Brazil Caldas Royale (natural processed).

20220529_153211.jpg

20220529_153222.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So am sick of wallowing in self pity and losing myself in utter frustration every time an injury comes up... so imma roast!

Colombian Pink Bourbon (double fermentation), always had trouble roasting this one!; and a Brazil Caldas Royale (natural processed).

View attachment 28462

View attachment 28463
Pretty cool. I’ve got some honey processed but have been reluctant to roast it. Have mostly dealt with regular washed beans. Did you do those in the Behmor?

For what it’s worth, I roasted three lbs of Papua New Guinea peaberry yesterday.

8886ED0A-179C-44DF-A6E2-A8BEC5EDCCFB.jpeg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

View attachment 28462

View attachment 28463
So reread this. You’re injured again? Sorry to hear that. Anything serious?. 😕

Okay. Edit number three. You can tell what order I read the forum. I see the post now about the Achilles. That stinks. Hope you heal up quickly. :)

In the meantime, you’ll have some good coffee to drink.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty cool. I’ve got some honey processed but have been reluctant to roast it. Have mostly dealt with regular washed beans. Did you do those in the Behmor?

For what it’s worth, I roasted three lbs of Papua New Guinea peaberry yesterday.

View attachment 28466
Ah very yummy!!!

Yeah these were on the ol Behmor, still goin strong. Oh nice, yeah most recent honey processed bean I roasted was a Colombia Piedras De Afiliar micro lot. I did have a few issues roasting it but it usually turned out just beautiful still.

Issues I had were that it roasted rather quickly and ended up being alot darker than other beans would be when stopping at the same level, and also found it stalled out a bit temp-wise around rolling FC. I'd honestly just approach them as you would any other bean, just your standard go-to profile and tweak from there. It's too tricky comparing roasting platforms, especially with your oh so delightful Aillio Bullet!!! *drools*

Let me know when you do roast it up! Keen to hear how it goes

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So reread this. You’re injured again? Sorry to hear that. Anything serious?. 😕

Okay. Edit number three. You can tell what order I read the forum. I see the post now about the Achilles. That stinks. Hope you heal up quickly. :)

In the meantime, you’ll have some good coffee to drink.
Haha, thanks heaps. I don't think it's serious as I'm walking and moving much better today.

I actually think I know how I did it now... I take one of my younger clients swimming, and he set us a challenge in the pool to see how many times we could go from one spot to another in a certain time limit. Kicking off the pool wall that many times explosively ain't somethin I'm used to haha, that musta done it!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Haha, thanks heaps. I don't think it's serious as I'm walking and moving much better today.

I actually think I know how I did it now... I take one of my younger clients swimming, and he set us a challenge in the pool to see how many times we could go from one spot to another in a certain time limit. Kicking off the pool wall that many times explosively ain't somethin I'm used to haha, that musta done it!
so much for swimming being easy on the body....

Latest Discussions