Last Poster #7

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fun fact, they are hybrids, not GMO. I don't understand the difference, but I am told there is one.
Main difference is that gmo is cross-breeding done specifically in a lab/with gene splicing. Hybrids are cross-breeding done without that, and sometimes happen naturally. Some claim this means GMO's are worse as they're not organic.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cosmic Crisps are a new kind of apple, a hybrid between Honeycrisp and Enterprise. It's naturally resistant to disease, very resistant to bruising and browning, and has a long shelf life before becoming mealy. It's also pretty tasty.
Almost like a Twinkie only round....:)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not a happy day at all... been taking our dog to the vet as her breathing has been really labored and fast.. her heart murmur condition has progressed rather rapidly and today they had to break the bad news, we may not have much longer left... not really coping at all and we're just a mess... she's 9 years old but we thought we'd have her for many many more years. Can't stop crying, I fear this will break me a bit. She's on more meds that will basically slow the process down and make sure she's more comfortable, but we'll have to make the call when it gets worse and quality of life goes down...

Will take it one day at a time.
My heart goes out to you, Simon. I'm really sorry, and no manner of words will help.

'Dog" is such a small word for something that takes up so much room in our heart. I don't know who first said that, but they spoke truth. We, as good people, make a deal with a dog. We feed them, provide them with water, a loving home, take them to a vet when needed, and love them, but what we get back is so very much more. Part of our deal is to make the hard decision when the time comes. And it sucks so very badly. I've had dogs for over forty years, I would have thought it got easier. It never did.

Stay strong, my friend.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Main difference is that gmo is cross-breeding done specifically in a lab/with gene splicing. Hybrids are cross-breeding done without that, and sometimes happen naturally. Some claim this means GMO's are worse as they're not organic.
well, these days they don't do a lot of this traditional crossbreeding. It is too unpredictable.

The bad GMOs are the te ones that splice DNA in to make them easier to treat with chemicals.

But like water being a chemical, all breeding is technically a GMO.

And like so many things, the people screaming the loudest about GMOs are the ones who don't know really what it is.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone had the grapes that taste like cotton candy? It’s unreal.
They were bred to taste like "pink vanilla" by a genius.

Tonight I'm making smoked beef tenderloins with a reverse sear, topped with smoked crab imperial, and coconut oil smothered baked potatoes.

Over the Top, maybe, but that's often my mood. Like Stallone.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Got to tell you this. When I was in Hospital security 2nd shift, a guy parked in the far back corner of the front lot. I was about to go check it when a deputy pulled in, he asked what was going on and I told him. He decided to walk out with me. We got there and the guy was in the car drinking beer. The deputy asks for license and registration. The guy gets out of the car hands him his license and reg and then starts this stupid little dance, while holding a can of beer and singing, "you can't arrest me I'm not driving, you can't arrest me I'm not driving" must have gone through about a dozen verses of this when the deputy looked at him and asked..."how'd you get here"...the response... "I drove".... which was followed by the deputy saying.. "drove....huh...you're under arrest"
My wife has a nephew who, shall we say, isn't the most likable man. He used to have a little sports car, with one of those wing things on the back. Also had a small TV mounted next to his rear view mirror.

He was drag racing his friend on the highway one day. They were clocked going well over one hundred miles an hour. A State Trooper was entering the highway from a rest stop when they flew by him. Trooper went after them. The nephew pulled over, his buddy took off.

The trooper asked who the nephew was racing with. The nephew ratted his buddy out, even gave the trooper his buddy's vanity plate. (probably read ashhole2)

Nephew got a whopper of a ticket. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was hundreds of dollars.

Two weeks later.....the nephew is on the same highway, going slower this time, he's doing ninety miles an hour. Same trooper pulls him over.

Trooper takes the license and registration and before he looks at it, says "Happy belated birthday. You know how I know you just had a birthday, Thomas? Because the last time I pulled you over I remember your driver's license was expiring in two days. I sure hope you went to the DMV."

The nephew hadn't. Trooper impounded the vehicle. In the ten minutes it took the tow truck to get there the nephew called friends for a ride, but nobody picked up, went straight to voice mail.

His friends called him back. But the nephew didn't pick up this time. You know why? Because the nephew's cell phone had fallen out of his pants pocket and was in his little sports car. The one with the TV. The one on the way to the impound lot.

Took the nephew nine hours to get home. (God, this story makes me so happy)

Karma 1, The nephew 0.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My wife has a nephew who, shall we say, isn't the most likable man. He used to have a little sports car, with one of those wing things on the back. Also had a small TV mounted next to his rear view mirror.

He was drag racing his friend on the highway one day. They were clocked going well over one hundred miles an hour. A State Trooper was entering the highway from a rest stop when they flew by him. Trooper went after them. The nephew pulled over, his buddy took off.

The trooper asked who the nephew was racing with. The nephew ratted his buddy out, even gave the trooper his buddy's vanity plate. (probably read ashhole2)

Nephew got a whopper of a ticket. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was hundreds of dollars.

Two weeks later.....the nephew is on the same highway, going slower this time, he's doing ninety miles an hour. Same trooper pulls him over.

Trooper takes the license and registration and before he looks at it, says "Happy belated birthday. You know how I know you just had a birthday, Thomas? Because the last time I pulled you over I remember your driver's license was expiring in two days. I sure hope you went to the DMV."

The nephew hadn't. Trooper impounded the vehicle. In the ten minutes it took the tow truck to get there the nephew called friends for a ride, but nobody picked up, went straight to voice mail.

His friends called him back. But the nephew didn't pick up this time. You know why? Because the nephew's cell phone had fallen out of his pants pocket and was in his little sports car. The one with the TV. The one on the way to the impound lot.

Took the nephew nine hours to get home. (God, this story makes me so happy)

Karma 1, The nephew 0.

A friend of mine was traveling at over 100mph on route 495 in Ma. at 3:00am, I forget what the car was but it was a little sports car with a turbocharger. My friend looked in his rearview mirror and waaaaay back behind him he saw the blue lights. So he pulled over, and eventually the Mass State Trooper got to his car and pulled over. First thing out of the troopers mouth as...."Just WHY the hell did you pull over" He responded, "I didn't see any other cars on the road so I figured you must be after me" Trooper told him he was going so fast he didn't get the plate number, and he had passed an off ramp he could have taken...then told him to slow down and get the heck out of here..... got back in his cruiser and left

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
had to disconnect my network today..all day... while they installed a new carpet.... about 2:00 I asked myself....how the heck did we do this BEFORE wireless internet :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Tonight I'm making smoked beef tenderloins with a reverse sear, topped with smoked crab imperial, and coconut oil smothered baked potatoes.

No such thing as over the top… unless you drove a semi that has a special training apparatus.

I made wild sockeye salmon with a blueberry agrodolce and some cilantro rice.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
No such thing as over the top… unless you drove a semi that has a special training apparatus.

I made wild sockeye salmon with a blueberry agrodolce and some cilantro rice.
Nice.

I don't normally post pics online but I needed to share this. It might be my best dish yet, but that wouldn't be fair to future dishes.

Attachments

• 20220223_202245.jpg
    20220223_202245.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 35

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wow! That sounds delicious! I was an extra in Over the Top. Met Stallone too. I was cadet in a military academy that was tapped for the intro scenes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you so, so much for all your kind words and thoughts.... it truly means the world.

Our sweet, beautiful girl is at peace now. We asked to have it done there at the vet today. She died in mine and my partner's arms, with our beautiful vet talking us through the whole thing. Ella was smiling and kissing everyone until the very end. We miss her terrible and are a complete mess... she was the heartbeat of this home and it feels so wrong her not being here. I don't know how we will get through this but one day at a time. It was 100% the right decision, as she was starting to get uncomfortable just breathing, and it would have been more heartbreaking if we kept her till she was suffering. She tried so hard for us. Squeeze your pets extra tight ok guys

20220223_073226.jpg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you so, so much for all your kind words and thoughts.... it truly means the world.

Our sweet, beautiful girl is at peace now. We asked to have it done there at the vet today. She died in mine and my partner's arms, with our beautiful vet talking us through the whole thing. Ella was smiling and kissing everyone until the very end. We miss her terrible and are a complete mess... she was the heartbeat of this home and it feels so wrong her not being here. I don't know how we will get through this but one day at a time. It was 100% the right decision, as she was starting to get uncomfortable just breathing, and it would have been more heartbreaking if we kept her till she was suffering. She tried so hard for us. Squeeze your pets extra tight ok guys

View attachment 28105
Im sorry for your loss but thats a lovely tribute to how much she made a difference in your lives. As frustrated as I get with my 4 legged buddy I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

View attachment 28105
So sorry. What a sweet girl.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stopped by a small little gas station this morning to get a cup of coffee. There were 5 old guys sitting around a table talking about the weather and how cold it is. For some reason I thought of you all lol

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Watched Encanto with the youngest yesterday, while making krumkaker for her girl scout troop. That is a charming movie.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you cook the tenderloin sous vide? Looks perfectly cooked.
Nope, just salt, pepper, and olive oil in the smoker for about an hour at 300 and then seared on the gas grill for a few minutes to get that nice char pattern. This is actually a little overcooked, I was targeting 120 degrees pre-sear, and then 140 to finish but this ended up around 150.

Degrees matter.

Latest Discussions