Last Poster #7

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was thinking about the book the men that stare at sheep. And people's belief in magic powers and mysticism.

And Mabye martial arts has always been about mysticism first. And practicality second.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, they say it will be good for 30 years.... so the right this year and the left probably next year....... so I have to last at least 31 more years to get my monies worth :D
My docs were very clear it is proportional to activity. If you think about the fact that the cushioning material is synthetic and no longer benefits from synovial fluid it makes sense. Friction is increased by load and torsion so, yea time is definitely a wildcard.
My docs said 15 years is the top end for active people; a big reason they put it off as long as possible. Pessimism I hope.
I sure hope they are wrong. 30 years would put me at 87 so I think I will have slowed down before then.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My docs were very clear it is proportional to activity. If you think about the fact that the cushioning material is synthetic and no longer benefits from synovial fluid it makes sense. Friction is increased by load and torsion so, yea time is definitely a wildcard.
My docs said 15 years is the top end for active people; a big reason they put it off as long as possible. Pessimism I hope.
I sure hope they are wrong. 30 years would put me at 87 so I think I will have slowed down before then.

So you're saying, if I'm very active.... I don't have to last 30 years ;)

A good friend of mine needed new knees in his late 30s. He is an ex-pro-soccer player and was a coach then. this was well over 20 years ago. His MD told him he would not replace his knees unless he stopped soccer, because, per his MD, the amount of running he did every single day would mean he would need to get his knees replaced about every 6 months.

He did finally get his knees replaced about 8 years ago.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you're saying, if I'm very active.... I don't have to last 30 years ;)

A good friend of mine needed new knees in his late 30s. He is an ex-pro-soccer player and was a coach then. this was well over 20 years ago. His MD told him he would not replace his knees unless he stopped soccer, because, per his MD, the amount of running he did every single day would mean he would need to get his knees replaced about every 6 months.

He did finally get his knees replaced about 8 years ago.
I would be interested to hear his story and know how he is doing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear his story and know how he is doing.

He's doing great, only problem is he is still eating like he is running miles a day so he has gained weight, although I do believe he no longer eats 10 hot dogs or a dozen donuts in one setting like he did when he was playing. But his knees are great and he is happy he had them done. I have also accused him of not telling me his knee issues were contagious and I caught my knee problem from him

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's doing great, only problem is he is still eating like he is running miles a day so he has gained weight, although I do believe he no longer eats 10 hot dogs or a dozen donuts in one setting like he did when he was playing. But his knees are great and he is happy he had them done. I have also accused him of not telling me his knee issues were contagious and I caught my knee problem from him
Fortunately, my weight is right on target weight for my height (5'11" 185lbs). I am very happy with my first knee. The other side is that I do think it is revealing things I did not know about like my hips. Time will tell but I am very optimistic I am moving in the right direction. Definitely in the 'would recommend doing it' category.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Fortunately, my weight is right on target weight for my height (5'11" 185lbs). I am very happy with my first knee. The other side is that I do think it is revealing things I did not know about like my hips. Time will tell but I am very optimistic I am moving in the right direction. Definitely in the 'would recommend doing it' category.

His weight was fine too, when he got the 1st knee, but he was still eating like an athlete and that is were his weigh problem came from.

my weight is up due to years of dealing with arthritis, knee and hip issues. I had it under control but then the knees got much worse and I can no longer go for walks or ride the bike. Currently working at losing 5 to 10 pounds before June 11

Latest Discussions