Last Poster #7

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Burned through a record 3 COVID tests today, just so I could train a bit and grab some pork buns with my roomate without feeling guilty.

This is getting expensive. I now spend more on COVID testing than gas each week.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Burned through a record 3 COVID tests today, just so I could train a bit and grab some pork buns with my roomate without feeling guilty.

This is getting expensive. I now spend more on COVID testing than gas each week.
Check your insurance. Mine pays for eight tests per person, per month with zero copay.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am pretty sure no one cares, but this is a sexy roasting profile for coffee. Well, it's the sexiest one I've managed so far. A Columbian Huila. That's gonna be some tasty coffee.

Columbia Huila San Adolfo 3.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check your insurance. Mine pays for eight tests per person, per month with zero copay.
I can make two types of lotus buns on my own. It's a lot cheaper than eating out, but I wanted to indulge myself for once.

It was worth it in the end.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am pretty sure no one cares, but this is a sexy roasting profile for coffee. Well, it's the sexiest one I've managed so far. A Columbian Huila. That's gonna be some tasty coffee.

View attachment 28372
VERY sexy!!! Yeah nice profile curve, glad to hear you're firing up the new roaster! Hope the bean is delicious! I've got a Colombian on at the moment too, honey processed 👍🏻

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
VERY sexy!!! Yeah nice profile curve, glad to hear you're firing up the new roaster! Hope the bean is delicious! I've got a Colombian on at the moment too, honey processed 👍🏻
Where do you generally purchase your greens?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where do you generally purchase your greens?
I've been mixing it up with a few different suppliers; some local, others interstate. But ICT (International Coffee Traders up in Queensland) have incredible greens on offer so I've gone with them a few times.

I've not yet ventured into the really top tier greens yet (eg Geishas), too nervous to stuff up roasts with them haha. One day!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been mixing it up with a few different suppliers; some local, others interstate. But ICT (International Coffee Traders up in Queensland) have incredible greens on offer so I've gone with them a few times.

I've not yet ventured into the really top tier greens yet (eg Geishas), too nervous to stuff up roasts with them haha. One day!
yeah, I feel the same way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Its not that I don't care, it is more I have no idea what I'm looking at
Well, since you asked.... :)

Basically, you're trying to make sure certain things happen at certain times. Generally, you are looking for that first crack (like popcorn popping) to happen around 7 to 9 minutes into the roast. I came in right at 8 minutes (the FC: 7:57 on the chart).

After the first crack, you are looking to get that roast done within about 3 or so minutes. That's where a lot of the flavor of the roast develops, and if you over develop the roast, you can end up with a grassy kind of taste that's not very good. You can also "bake" the beans, which also doesn't taste very good.

Lastly, the hot pink line is the rate of rise (ROR), which is how fast the beans are going up in temperature. Generally, you want to start the roast with the right amount of energy or momentum so that you can get to the end with a steady, even reduction in the rate of rise.

So, when you roast a batch of coffee, a lot happens in about 11 to 13 minutes. I am pretty darned happy with the roasts from yesterday. I got the first batch to about 205C, a lighter roast... but made an adjustment and ended with two really nice, medium roasts that I think are going to taste really good.

Latest Discussions