Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Conan books. ā€œ innkeeper, fetch me some wine, killing makes a manā€˜s throat dry.ā€
The opening scene of the first Conan book made such an impression on me... where he's chained to a giant wheel, pushing it around while the rest of the slaves around him died, and in the end it was just him... man, that was so cool to the 11 year old version of me. I read a lot of Robert E Howard's other books, too. Like Tigers of the Sea, the Solomon Kane stories, King Kull, Cormac Mac Art, and Bran Mak Morn.

For me, Tolkien was like the fantasy historian, and Robert E. Howard was the fantasy storyteller. Tolkien gets a lot of credit for inspiring Dungeons and Dragons, but if it weren't for these early sword and sorcery authors, D&D would be a lot of guys sitting around talking about the minute details... well, as I think about it, maybe they both had a lot of influence. :D

There was a pizza place in Austin Texas called Conan's Pizza. When I was in the 6th and 7th grade, we would play the chess coach once a month, and if anyone beat him, he would take us to Conan's Pizza. I remember Frazetta prints on the walls, and deep dish pizza so hot the cheese would burn your chin if you weren't careful.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Conan's Pizza... still around! Looks like there are three locations now. I don't know which one would have been around circa 1980. But, if I'm ever in the area again, that's a must visit for me:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The opening scene of the first Conan book made such an impression on me... where he's chained to a giant wheel, pushing it around while the rest of the slaves around him died, and in the end it was just him... man, that was so cool to the 11 year old version of me
Just the 11 year old you, eh?

The Wheel of Pain...man, Sometimes I feel half dead from age, then I watch his scene over and over. One thing is certain for all, the wheel stops eventually. If you're lucky, it's early enough in life.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We live in an interesting time, and I'm curious if there will be a correction, and what that might look like.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you. But what you're describing is, in a lot of industries, not a "feeling" of entitlement, but demands from a group of people who are largely in the driver's seat. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, but leverage in a negotiation is everything, and as a group, employees are standing firm on their principles. Higher pay, better benefits, reasonable hours, work/life balance, work at home, child care benefits, paid parental leave, paid sick time... I mean, you name it. I've seen retention studies where a startling percentage of employees are actively looking for other jobs, and indicate they would be willing to take a pay cut to improve their quality of life.

The reality though, no matter how you cut it, is that most industries need people and are hemorrhaging skilled staff who are leaving to go to companies that give them the things you're talking about.

Not disagreeing with you either, but I think we are talking about 2 different things. I'm specifically referring to those just out of college, with little or no experience who feel they deserve the same or more than those that have been doing the same job for 10 or more years. Like coming for your first real job as a full fledged doctor and insisting on not doing things (call, late nights, weekends) the older experienced doctors are doing and requiring the same or more pay than those doctors. I have seen the same in IT, other State jobs and a few other jobs as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you either, but I think we are talking about 2 different things. I'm specifically referring to those just out of college, with little or no experience who feel they deserve the same or more than those that have been doing the same job for 10 or more years. Like coming for your first real job as a full fledged doctor and insisting on not doing things (call, late nights, weekends) the older experienced doctors are doing and requiring the same or more pay than those doctors. I have seen the same in IT, other State jobs and a few other jobs as well.
Yeah, I hear you. Before I go on, I want to be clear, I'm not trying to be argumentative and I get your point. Your perspectives are very common, and there's nothing wrong about it. It's just that this (and topics like this related to employment, management, and such) is something I am keenly interested in.

So, all that said, I guess what I'm saying is, it's a matter of perspective. Entitlement isn't the actual issue, in my opinion. It's perceptions of entitlement vs actual entitlement, and that (I believe) is largely a product of where you sit.

The experienced person is saying, "Cool your jets, turbo. You need to pay your dues. Let's see if you're just going to work out before we start talking about a corner office." I get that. Been there myself.

But if you ask some of those young kids, I think they would say, "Hey. I know what I'm worth and work is just a part of my life. If you want me to work here, this is what I expect. And if not, I'll go across the street and work for your competitor." I've read articles projecting a shortfall of qualified MDs in the 10's of thousands in the next 10 years (up to possibly over 100,000). I mean, they are in the driver's seat. And that is not unique. Just about every industry is bleeding good staff.

Education is another good example. A lot of teachers consider it a calling, and for that reason, they have always been taken advantage of. They work horrible hours, get paid peanuts, and are asked to do everything from janitorial work to security work in addition to what they are trained to do. And now, a lot of young people are saying, "No thanks. I'm going to work a reasonable number of hours during the day. IF you want me to grade papers at night, and buy school supplies from my own meager wage, you're crazy. I'm also not going to be a security guard, child therapist, or crisis intervention counselor. And now, about that salary."

So, you may have a tenured teacher who resents the young folks coming in and negotiating favorable terms. But that's not an entitlement issue; it's a resentment issue.

In the end, whether industries beat this out of the kids, or whether the kids stick to their guns and bring about some meaningful reform remains to be seen.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It always feels weird remembering forms with muscle memory. Trying to remember forms I don't practice often can be frustrating... I can't just remember techniques in my head, but when I go over the form, low and behold I'm getting the pattern atleast? Might need to go over it one or two more times to make it look smooth and polished, but it's weird! I'll be confused thinking about techniques further in the form and as soon as I go over it, boom. Got it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It always feels weird remembering forms with muscle memory. Trying to remember forms I don't practice often can be frustrating... I can't just remember techniques in my head, but when I go over the form, low and behold I'm getting the pattern atleast? Might need to go over it one or two more times to make it look smooth and polished, but it's weird! I'll be confused thinking about techniques further in the form and as soon as I go over it, boom. Got it.
just wait until you belt out songs you have not listened to in 30 years....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
just wait until you belt out songs you have not listened to in 30 years....
One day he'll be listening to song.... singing along with it....happy he is hearing it again.....thinking... I haven't heard this in a long time....and then...all of a sudden...he'll realize....I use to hate this song

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When it rains it pours i guess. @Wing Woo Gar recently posted a video involving a conditioning technique in a two person form that i haven't seen in 15 years, and was almost convinced I made up.

Was at a used book store, and leafing through a hsing-i book, and ran upon the same exact conditioning drill. Once I'm around a computer and have free time, I'll move my pictures over from my phone and post it.
Back to a computer, but it occurred to me that I don't have the original author's permission to post pictures from his book, and not sure what the laws (or his wishes) are regarding that, so won't be updating them publicly. If anyone did want to see them, send me a pm and I'll send the pictures to you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back to a computer, but it occurred to me that I don't have the original author's permission to post pictures from his book, and not sure what the laws (or his wishes) are regarding that, so won't be updating them publicly. If anyone did want to see them, send me a pm and I'll send the pictures to you.
well, I am sure you are in the clear of posting a picture of the cover.
the copyright is a little tricky on the rest, infringement vs fair use.
Much passes with proper credit to the originator.
But if in doubt ask permission. (Like Jim Wright of Stonekettle Station - he gets quoted and shared all over the place but if you claim it's your wisdom you are spreading he gets testy)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well, I am sure you are in the clear of posting a picture of the cover.
the copyright is a little tricky on the rest, infringement vs fair use.
Much passes with proper credit to the originator.
But if in doubt ask permission. (Like Jim Wright of Stonekettle Station - he gets quoted and shared all over the place but if you claim it's your wisdom you are spreading he gets testy)
I'm sure it's safe, but I'd have no idea how to even find the author, nevermind ask permission to post. Ultimately it's not something important enough that it's worth going through hoops to display it publicly, particularly in a thread with (eventually)10k posts that likely won't be seen by more than 20 people.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marinading beef short ribs in soy sauce, vinegar and Dr Pepper overnight, for full day smoked braising tomorrow to make pulled short rib mac and cheese.

And Polish Sausage. Uncured.

I had to stop cooking with kosher salt. Never noticed that a large box of it is about 250,000 grams of sodium, the ultimate heart killer.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Marinading beef short ribs in soy sauce, vinegar and Dr Pepper overnight, for full day smoked braising tomorrow to make pulled short rib mac and cheese.

I had to stop cooking with kosher salt. Never noticed that a large box of it is about 250,000 grams of sodium, the ultimate heart killer.
weeeeellllllll
it is not supposed to go in one dish!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

250k grams would definitely ruin some ribs. A few teaspoons In a rib rub isnā€™t the problem. Itā€™s processed foods like ramen and canned soups that will get you.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
250k grams would definitely ruin some ribs. A few teaspoons In a rib rub isnā€™t the problem. Itā€™s processed foods like ramen and canned soups that will get you.
We're talking the 3lb box of Morton's. I've probably used it for about a hundred meals over the year, usually pretty sparingly, but not always.

I love salt but just thinking about how unnecessary it usually is, and how I'm getting older, it's something easy to stop (unlike smoking meats, which I am addicted to). When you've got a 12 spice rub, salt starts to take a back seat

Something's gotta go. Ba bye Morton's. I'm sure I'll cheat now and then, and it'll be worth it.

Three cheers to better living through chemistry!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're talking the 3lb box of Morton's. I've probably used it for about a hundred meals over the year, usually pretty sparingly, but not always.

I love salt but just thinking about how unnecessary it usually is, and how I'm getting older, it's something easy to stop (unlike smoking meats, which I am addicted to). When you've got a 12 spice rub, salt starts to take a back seat

Something's gotta go. Ba bye Morton's. I'm sure I'll cheat now and then, and it'll be worth it.

Three cheers to better living through chemistry!
For me itā€™s the Li Hing Mui, Iā€™m a nut for the old Yick Lung style. Wet whole seed. Mmmm! Gotta not eat that stuff though, Iā€™m sure itā€™s terrible for me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
3E854509-9BCC-46DA-91DB-39C9416902CE.jpeg

Latest Discussions