Last Poster #7

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When it rains it pours i guess. @Wing Woo Gar recently posted a video involving a conditioning technique in a two person form that i haven't seen in 15 years, and was almost convinced I made up.

Was at a used book store, and leafing through a hsing-i book, and ran upon the same exact conditioning drill. Once I'm around a computer and have free time, I'll move my pictures over from my phone and post it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When it rains it pours i guess. @Wing Woo Gar recently posted a video involving a conditioning technique in a two person form that i haven't seen in 15 years, and was almost convinced I made up.

Was at a used book store, and leafing through a hsing-i book, and ran upon the same exact conditioning drill. Once I'm around a computer and have free time, I'll move my pictures over from my phone and post it.
Plot twist. You wrote the book, and just don’t remember it because you spent years in a black ops experimental conditioning site that resulted in a complete “reset” of your core memories.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Plot twist. You wrote the book, and just don’t remember it because you spent years in a black ops experimental conditioning site that resulted in a complete “reset” of your core memories.
Wow! Sounds like you might write a book about his book writing experience. Im into it, what will be the title?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like you might write a book about his book writing experience. Im into it, what will be the title?
Shadows of a Martial Past. It's the story of how a martial arts master wrote a book, and was then brainwashed by a black ops organization who replaced all core memories. He had "almost convinced himself that he had made it up."

But he hadn't.

I think where it goes after this is, he has significant trouble reconciling his past memories with the newly implanted ones, he goes a little off the deep end, works through a really dark phase where he single handedly takes out the entire La Cosa Nostra, and ends up on the run in Belize.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shadows of a Martial Past. It's the story of how a martial arts master wrote a book, and was then brainwashed by a black ops organization who replaced all core memories. He had "almost convinced himself that he had made it up."

But he hadn't.

I think where it goes after this is, he has significant trouble reconciling his past memories with the newly implanted ones, he goes a little off the deep end, works through a really dark phase where he single handedly takes out the entire La Cosa Nostra, and ends up on the run in Belize.
Reminds me of Total Recall, Philip K. Dick's best work. That's a compliment.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Read a lot of Phillip Dick over the years. Picked up Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep shortly after seeing Blade Runner the first time, and that led into his other stuff.

Truth be told, it's probably a little Phillip Dick, a little Michael Moorcock, a little Bourne Identity, a little Punisher, and a dash of little Mack Bolan.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Best example comes from a MD I know and the practice he works for, a rather large one. But I have seen or been told about things similar in IT, in TCM and other fields as well.

The MD practice was large, therefor they paid for malpractice insurance, that is a big plus by the way.
Interviewed a few newly minted MDs and had several with the same attitude. All wanted some or all of these; First they demand a salary that is as high or higher than the MD doing the interview who has been an MD for 25 years. additionally
-They will not take call
-They will not work weekends or evenings
-They require 6 or more weeks vacation a year

And note they are talking to MDs who have worked long and hard and all taken call and worked nights and weekends and still were.

seen this is state level IT too. There are pay grades and within each pay grade there are steps. They have no experience, but they passed the state exam. But require that they start at the top step of the paygrade since they have a degree and will be doing the same or similar job as someone who has been there 10 or more years.

a friend of my wife's son got h is degree in finance. Immediately went to NYC to apply to very large, well know financial organizations. Not a bad thing, but he then got angry because they would not take him. And even thought other investment and financial firms wanted him, they were beneath him and the larger companies were idiots. after a round of blaming is mother for all his problems he finally, after a year, took a job at a firm that was beneath him and his education.

I have seen and heard of multiple incidents such as this, more than one from Doctors of different practices that I know. Mrs Xue even ran into this a couple times in her practice.

It is not all but there seems to be a lot

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read a lot of Phillip Dick over the years. Picked up Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep shortly after seeing Blade Runner the first time, and that led into his other stuff.

Truth be told, it's probably a little Phillip Dick, a little Michael Moorcock, a little Bourne Identity, a little Punisher, and a dash of little Mack Bolan.
Mack Bolan! Ha! Haven’t read that stuff since I was in military academy. Love that Wiley .44 automag.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mack Bolan! Ha! Haven’t read that stuff since I was in military academy. Love that Wiley .44 automag.
The first dozen or so were terrific. I lost interest when his war on the mob ended and he started just becoming a soldier of fortune.

And now I'm thinking wistfully of all those old pulp fantasy and Sci Fi novels I enjoyed in my misspent youth.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Best example comes from a MD I know and the practice he works for, a rather large one. But I have seen or been told about things similar in IT, in TCM and other fields as well.

The MD practice was large, therefor they paid for malpractice insurance, that is a big plus by the way.
Interviewed a few newly minted MDs and had several with the same attitude. All wanted some or all of these; First they demand a salary that is as high or higher than the MD doing the interview who has been an MD for 25 years. additionally
-They will not take call
-They will not work weekends or evenings
-They require 6 or more weeks vacation a year

And note they are talking to MDs who have worked long and hard and all taken call and worked nights and weekends and still were.

seen this is state level IT too. There are pay grades and within each pay grade there are steps. They have no experience, but they passed the state exam. But require that they start at the top step of the paygrade since they have a degree and will be doing the same or similar job as someone who has been there 10 or more years.

a friend of my wife's son got h is degree in finance. Immediately went to NYC to apply to very large, well know financial organizations. Not a bad thing, but he then got angry because they would not take him. And even thought other investment and financial firms wanted him, they were beneath him and the larger companies were idiots. after a round of blaming is mother for all his problems he finally, after a year, took a job at a firm that was beneath him and his education.

I have seen and heard of multiple incidents such as this, more than one from Doctors of different practices that I know. Mrs Xue even ran into this a couple times in her practice.

It is not all but there seems to be a lot
We live in an interesting time, and I'm curious if there will be a correction, and what that might look like.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you. But what you're describing is, in a lot of industries, not a "feeling" of entitlement, but demands from a group of people who are largely in the driver's seat. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, but leverage in a negotiation is everything, and as a group, employees are standing firm on their principles. Higher pay, better benefits, reasonable hours, work/life balance, work at home, child care benefits, paid parental leave, paid sick time... I mean, you name it. I've seen retention studies where a startling percentage of employees are actively looking for other jobs, and indicate they would be willing to take a pay cut to improve their quality of life.

The reality though, no matter how you cut it, is that most industries need people and are hemorrhaging skilled staff who are leaving to go to companies that give them the things you're talking about.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first dozen or so were terrific. I lost interest when his war on the mob ended and he started just becoming a soldier of fortune.

And now I'm thinking wistfully of all those old pulp fantasy and Sci Fi novels I enjoyed in my misspent youth.
I hadn't thought of those in many years.
The Execitioner.
The Destroyer.
Seems like there were other, similar, crappy series.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

The Conan books. “ innkeeper, fetch me some wine, killing makes a man‘s throat dry.”

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
We live in an interesting time, and I'm curious if there will be a correction, and what that might look like.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you. But what you're describing is, in a lot of industries, not a "feeling" of entitlement, but demands from a group of people who are largely in the driver's seat. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, but leverage in a negotiation is everything, and as a group, employees are standing firm on their principles. Higher pay, better benefits, reasonable hours, work/life balance, work at home, child care benefits, paid parental leave, paid sick time... I mean, you name it. I've seen retention studies where a startling percentage of employees are actively looking for other jobs, and indicate they would be willing to take a pay cut to improve their quality of life.

The reality though, no matter how you cut it, is that most industries need people and are hemorrhaging skilled staff who are leaving to go to companies that give them the things you're talking about.
Bingo!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

But he hadn't.

Or maybe he's roped into doing a book signing, in a library of all places, and as he looks up after signing one, a doppelgänger steps to the table, his mischievous grin hidden by his face mask.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of those in many years.
The Execitioner.
The Destroyer.
Seems like there were other, similar, crappy series.
Yeah, I think Mack Bolan was the first, and then it became a genre. The masculine version of romance novels... just cranked out, formula driven pulp. But those first few Executioner books were like proto-Tom Clancy stuff.

Latest Discussions