Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So in my town, we have a Marine, Army, and Navy Recruiter. The closest Airforce Recruiter was about an hour away. So when we met him I asked him why there was no Airforce recruiter in the office with the other 3 branches in my town. He said we dont have to recruit that hard. I asked what he meant. He said all you former Marines and Army parents are our best recruiters you send all your kids to the Air Force. He wasn't wrong lol.
My mom enlisted back in the era when women were required to separate when they got pregnant, or I'm pretty sure she would have stayed in and retired like my dad did.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My mom enlisted back in the era when women were required to separate when they got pregnant, or I'm pretty sure she would have stayed in and retired like my dad did.
Im not sure if she will stay in and retire or not. She did sign a 6-year contract ( I told her to do 4 to try it out but she wanted the 6 for the promotion). I thought for sure I was a lifer when I enlisted. 2 years into I knew it wasn't for me. But I was in the infantry so I really didn't have a job we were still in peace time so we will see.
Of all my kid's she's the one that I think will fit right into military life. She always did better and was more comfortable with structure and someone telling her what to do. She wanted to be a mechanic and wanted to go to a technical college. So I suggested joining the military and getting paid to learn to be a mechanic vs paying a school as a joke. To my surprise, she said it was a good idea. She didn't get the auto mechanic position she wanted she got some kind of aircraft maintenance MOS so we will see how that goes. This has been totally different than my oldest leaving for college she would call or text every day so she was gone but we still talked to her.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Im not sure if she will stay in and retire or not. She did sign a 6-year contract ( I told her to do 4 to try it out but she wanted the 6 for the promotion). I thought for sure I was a lifer when I enlisted. 2 years into I knew it wasn't for me. But I was in the infantry so I really didn't have a job we were still in peace time so we will see.
Of all my kid's she's the one that I think will fit right into military life. She always did better and was more comfortable with structure and someone telling her what to do. She wanted to be a mechanic and wanted to go to a technical college. So I suggested joining the military and getting paid to learn to be a mechanic vs paying a school as a joke. To my surprise, she said it was a good idea. She didn't get the auto mechanic position she wanted she got some kind of aircraft maintenance MOS so we will see how that goes. This has been totally different than my oldest leaving for college she would call or text every day so she was gone but we still talked to her.
I never intended to make a career out of it, myself, but I got a lot from my service. Saw a lot of neat things and did a lot of neat stuff.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mayochup "saucy sauce." That sounds... delicious?

61Vs2TST62L._SL1500_.jpg

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is what appears to be a new, somewhat schizophrenic Troll out there in the wilds of the web on martial arts forums...getting banned....now just waiting to see if he finds MT
MT has a very diligent and when called for an aggressive attitude toward unwanted trolls that try to disrupt the continuity of this site. Just like a commercial dojo does not tolerate the breaking of rules within their class structure, MT, our virtual dojo, maintains a very tight attitude toward undesirables.
Oh wait... :) good morning everyone, hope you all have an enjoyable and productive day...........:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
MT has a very diligent and when called for an aggressive attitude toward unwanted trolls that try to disrupt the continuity of this site. Just like a commercial dojo does not tolerate the breaking of rules within their class structure, MT, our virtual dojo, maintains a very tight attitude toward undesirables.
Oh wait... :) good morning everyone, hope you all have an enjoyable and productive day...........:)

Yes I know, but they still appear, even if only for a moment.... I'm not worried, just waiting to see if he shows up here

And yes, day so far is fine, driving to work....rain, freezing rain, snow......how's your day going?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It is still cold here.. high in the 20s and we're looking at more snow today and tomorrow. Yuck. I much prefer rain and 40F temps.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is still cold here.. high in the 20s and we're looking at more snow today and tomorrow. Yuck. I much prefer rain and 40F temps.

Actually predicted to be warm here, at least warm for here, the next few days. predicted high today in the low 40s, and the temp goes up everyday until Saturday is supposed to be 50. Then, Sunday 45 and Monday 27 and next week is likely all in the 20s....back to normal

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually predicted to be warm here, at least warm for here, the next few days. predicted high today in the low 40s, and the temp goes up everyday until Saturday is supposed to be 50. Then, Sunday 45 and Monday 27 and next week is likely all in the 20s....back to normal
yeah, that's what we're used to this time of year... 40s (maybe high 30s)... dark and drizzly. I like that kind of weather. Well, maybe "like" is the wrong word. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's what we're used to this time of year... 40s (maybe high 30s)... dark and drizzly. I like that kind of weather. Well, maybe "like" is the wrong word. :D
And I'd rather have the snow. I hate winter rain - I think it goes back to the years I only had a motorcycle. That stuff was just awful.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And I'd rather have the snow. I hate winter rain - I think it goes back to the years I only had a motorcycle. That stuff was just awful.
I posted the satirical news story that mentions this, but here's a graphic of the same thing:

snowmeme.jpg

These foolish people come here, start zipping around and slide down the hill while swearing this NEVER happened to them in Iowa. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I know, but they still appear, even if only for a moment.... I'm not worried, just waiting to see if he shows up here

And yes, day so far is fine, driving to work....rain, freezing rain, snow......how's your day going?
Haze overcast 68 degrees and dry. Another day in paradise.......:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is that a real picture you took, Xue? If so, that's gorgeous. What a view!

Its a real picture, just not one I took. It is from a bit further North than I am, deeper in the Adirondacks. Possibly Lake George at the northern end

And that is a light snow for there. Once lost my snowshoe when I was up there in the winter, had to break a large limb off a tree, jam it down in the snow to be able to push myself to standing. The limb was about 4 feet long and my arm went about 6 inches into the snow to touch ground that winter. And that was south of Lake George near Sacandaga Reservoir

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Its a real picture, just not one I took. It is from a bit further North than I am, deeper in the Adirondacks. Possibly Lake George at the northern end

And that is a light snow for there. Once lost my snowshoe when I was up there in the winter, had to break a large limb off a tree, jam it down in the snow to be able to push myself to standing. The limb was about 4 feet long and my arm went about 6 inches into the snow to touch ground that winter. And that was south of Lake George near Sacandaga Reservoir
I have never been in snow that deep... and I don't know if I'm missing it. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have never been in snow that deep... and I don't know if I'm missing it. :D

That was years ago, not sure they get that these days. about 7 years ago we were getting a weekly snowstorm in February and March that was dropping 1 to 2 feet of snow each storm. I ran out of places to put it and had to dig back the snow banks so I could put the new snow somewhere. I imagine up there it was worse

Latest Discussions