Last Poster #7

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would your doctor recommend different?
You could have gotten them both the same day. There isn't any evidence to suggest otherwise.
Funny story.

So as I go through urgent care, I'm seen by two nurses before the doctor comes in.

I've already told both nurses I have a COVID booster scheduled later that day. Neither one tells the doctor, but they both tell me "tell the doctor".

One of the nurses comes back a while later and gives me a the tetanus shot. Then the doctor comes in and starts cleaning and suturing and I tell him I have a booster scheduled.

"oh, I wish you would have told me before you got the tetanus shot, you should wait two weeks between different vaccines, to protect your immune system".

Me:
They're really busy with COVID and all. I don't blame them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Funny story.

So as I go through urgent care, I'm seen by two nurses before the doctor comes in.

I've already told both nurses I have a COVID booster scheduled later that day. Neither one tells the doctor, but they both tell me "tell the doctor".

One of the nurses comes back a while later and gives me a the tetanus shot. Then the doctor comes in and starts cleaning and suturing and I tell him I have a booster scheduled.

"oh, I wish you would have told me before you got the tetanus shot, you should wait two weeks between different vaccines, to protect your immune system".

Me:
They're really busy with COVID and all. I don't blame them.
Wait...YOU'RE Bái Méi!!!!!!!!!!! :D

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no medical expertise at all, but I have had a lot of stitches. I thought if it could be stitched up, it isn't an avulsion... because the avulsion is when meat is gone. I know that the "avulsions" resulted in some gnarly scars.

Anyway, regardless of whether it's a cut or anything else, I hope it heals up well.
Not really. An avulsion is is anytime the skin/tissue is ripped loose. It might still be connected and make like a flap, but it's still an avulsion.
Technically, a laceration is caused by blunt force trauma, though most people don't use it that way. A wound from something sharp is an incision.

The meat was still attached, which is apparently the bare minimum required for stitching back on.
The flap often dies and falls off eventually. Depending on how deep and how much vascularization remains. But securing the flap covers the raw tissue underneath, because that stuff hurts.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait...YOU'RE Bái Méi!!!!!!!!!!! :D
More like this guy.

1639768780493.png

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Dr is wrong. Tetanus should be given within 48 hours of the injury. And there is zero evidence to support delaying between vaccines.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
That Dr is wrong. Tetanus should be given within 48 hours of the injury. And there is zero evidence to support delaying between vaccines.
I'm not mad at him. But I'm getting my COVID booster tomorrow. Omicron's coming.

He even said something like "you'd rather get tetanus". Really, Doc? Tetanus has triple the mortality rate.

Poor bastards. So overworked.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got the flu and the booster at the same time, and did just fine. I'm just hoping the new tail is prehensile.
Don't tempt me, I was totally going to do that tomorrow.

I'll do two vaccines at once, three seems like a gamble.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, common vaccines....
Hubby has a good war story about getting yelled at in sick call for getting deathly ill after getting plague and typhoid shots at the same time....
I have gotten the booster and flu shot the same time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not mad at him. But I'm getting my COVID booster tomorrow. Omicron's coming.

He even said something like "you'd rather get tetanus". Really, Doc? Tetanus has triple the mortality rate.

Poor bastards. So overworked.
I've never heard of something like that. I think Dirty dog and steve already covered, but A: you can get them both to my understanding. Nothing whatsoever that I've read or heard suggests otherwise. B: as he said, you have a limited window for tetanus after the incident. You can get the booster whenever. So if you really could only get one, you'd be better off getting the tetanus shot first, covid booster later.

Also C: if there was a concern about that, the intake nurse should have put it in her main note, and the doctor should have read it and the nurse should have said something, and the doctor should have seen you before ordering you a shot of any sort. If the situation had been different, the results could have been a lot worse.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've never heard of something like that. I think Dirty dog and steve already covered, but A: you can get them both to my understanding. Nothing whatsoever that I've read or heard suggests otherwise. B: as he said, you have a limited window for tetanus after the incident. You can get the booster whenever. So if you really could only get one, you'd be better off getting the tetanus shot first, covid booster later.

Also C: if there was a concern about that, the intake nurse should have put it in her main note, and the doctor should have read it and the nurse should have said something, and the doctor should have seen you before ordering you a shot of any sort. If the situation had been different, the results could have been a lot worse.

Officially there has been nothing about that but a few MDs I know say a similar thing, don't get the Covid booster/shot with a flu shot...not sure ab0ut the tetanus, never came up in conversation

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the situation had been different, the results could have been a lot worse.
Did I mention the part where I waited 90 minutes in the waiting room? I could have gone to the ER, but didn't want to be selfish. So Urgent Care, it was.

Thankfully, I know enough about my body to know I wasn't losing a lot of blood, but it was at least 45 minutes before the receptionist even asked if I needed a towel.

I'm good at bandages, so I didn't.

Even in the non-critical care places around me, it's chaotic. Between burnout, lack of sleep, stress...these medical pros all need a break. So, I just smile and do what the doctor tells me. Then I leave the clinic and a few Google searches later, plot my trip to the vaccine super-site ninja style.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Officially there has been nothing about that but a few MDs I know say a similar thing, don't get the Covid booster/shot with a flu shot...not sure ab0ut the tetanus, never came up in conversation
I've heard that with the flu, but not out of concern about getting them both-just that if you have a reaction to both it'll make things unpleasant. Haven't heard anything bad about it, or having to wait two weeks between, and definitely nothing about other shots.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard that with the flu, but not out of concern about getting them both-just that if you have a reaction to both it'll make things unpleasant. Haven't heard anything bad about it, or having to wait two weeks between, and definitely nothing about other shots.
If I had to guess, the doctor just wasn't recommending the latest guidance, probably something he's been telling people for a while. Being cautious?

It can't be very easy to find time to follow the latest research, when your receptionists are flooded with calls about coughs that might be COVID, the one ER veteran on duty is busy sewing up some damn idiot's kneecap. He told me I was the 40th person he'd seen that day. That was around 5pm.

But rather than correct him, I fact checked and this is what came up, just as you said.

Latest Discussions