Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
keeping fingers crossed

Congratulations. I can retire early at any point, but take a penalty. If I could retire without penalty right now, I'd be out the door

I have to figure out what the advantages and disadvantages will be before I do anything, but I was surprised to find out I could go in 2.

I have told a few people I work with who could retire anytime they want to, "if I were in that position, we would not be having this conversation, because I would not be here"

But I have to tell you, if they start offering retirement incentives again in 2 years...... There will be no question, I will be gone

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 2 vaccines yesterday during my physical (shingles and flu). Feel like absolute crap this morning. I am currently so cold I'm nearly shivering, and somehow too hot at the same time.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 2 vaccines yesterday during my physical (shingles and flu). Feel like absolute crap this morning. I am currently so cold I'm nearly shivering, and somehow too hot at the same time.
It will get better....

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to figure out what the advantages and disadvantages will be before I do anything, but I was surprised to find out I could go in 2.

I have told a few people I work with who could retire anytime they want to, "if I were in that position, we would not be having this conversation, because I would not be here"

But I have to tell you, if they start offering retirement incentives again in 2 years...... There will be no question, I will be gone
I totally retired in my early 70s... We do what best works for us.....but looking back, yes I'm that old.......I would have stayed longer. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Shingles vaccine is one I need to get at my next physical. Early in the pandemic, around April or so of 2020, I got really sick. Did a virtual doctors visit and she said something like, "Well, we'll get you checked for COVID, but you definitely have shingles." It was pretty awful. Didn't end up having COVID, though, which is good.

Take it from me, if the vaccine makes you feel a little punchy today, take it easy and remember that actually getting Shingles is way... way worse.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I totally retired in my early 70s... We do what best works for us.....but looking back, yes I'm that old.......I would have stayed longer. :)
The stuff that gets me out of bed is all the stuff I do AFTER work. My only real goal for retirement is to be able to fund all of my hobbies and interests. As long as I can do that, I am out the door, and will have plenty to keep me busy.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's your immune system building resistance. Give it 24 hours. It's better than feeling like that for 7-10 days if you actually get sick.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Personally, I am more than ready to go, but I have to look at things closely. But I am guessing I will be there for a little less than 5 years, possibly 6. Mrs Wu is not on board for my retirement in 2 years

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I am more than ready to go, but I have to look at things closely. But I am guessing I will be there for a little less than 5 years, possibly 6. Mrs Wu is not on board for my retirement in 2 years
She is not ready to have you home all day, huh!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's your immune system building resistance. Give it 24 hours. It's better than feeling like that for 7-10 days if you actually get sick.
Saw this video and am not sure if it will reassure people who are nervous about the vaccine or not. But it's pretty interesting:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shingles vaccine is one I need to get at my next physical. Early in the pandemic, around April or so of 2020, I got really sick. Did a virtual doctors visit and she said something like, "Well, we'll get you checked for COVID, but you definitely have shingles." It was pretty awful. Didn't end up having COVID, though, which is good.

Take it from me, if the vaccine makes you feel a little punchy today, take it easy and remember that actually getting Shingles is way... way worse.
I had a girlfriend years ago who got shingles. I am not a fan. When my doc said it was time to think about it, I told him I don't need to think - just sign me up for any vaccines that are recommended. I'll finish the shingles vaccine in February, and catch up my tetanus at the same time.

Already feeling a good bit better. Was really achy and strong flu symptoms this morning, but a long nap (symptoms woke me up at 3 AM) and some acetaminophen, and I'm feeling much better. Still pretty lethargic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, doc said shingles vaccine often produces a really strong reaction like this. It's bad, but only for a short time.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, doc said shingles vaccine often produces a really strong reaction like this. It's bad, but only for a short time.
Yup. A lot of vaccines will do this.
Many of the symptoms people experience from these infections are the result of the immune response to the infection, not the infection itself. So vaccines that work by triggering the immune system and causing it to produce antibodies will cause the same symptoms as the infection. Just not as long, and generally not as severe. So you'd be sicker for longer from the infection.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw this video and am not sure if it will reassure people who are nervous about the vaccine or not. But it's pretty interesting:

Cool, very informative! But yeah I don't know if it will do that... maybe if there's a video that shows just how similar it is in function to other vaccines that have been around for awhile, but I'm not knowledgable enough if there are any that are pretty similar

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just found out that I can potentially retire in 2 years with full retirement, meaning no penalties..... thought I had to wait a bit less than 5 years......now I have to think about this
Dooooo it. Best decision I ever made. I still have to have a job right now (stupid kids in college) but im loving being retired from law enforcement

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Cool, very informative! But yeah I don't know if it will do that... maybe if there's a video that shows just how similar it is in function to other vaccines that have been around for awhile, but I'm not knowledgable enough if there are any that are pretty similar
I think the idea, and the opportunity for scare tactics, is that they don't work the same.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend years ago who got shingles. I am not a fan. When my doc said it was time to think about it, I told him I don't need to think - just sign me up for any vaccines that are recommended. I'll finish the shingles vaccine in February, and catch up my tetanus at the same time.

Already feeling a good bit better. Was really achy and strong flu symptoms this morning, but a long nap (symptoms woke me up at 3 AM) and some acetaminophen, and I'm feeling much better. Still pretty lethargic.
I had a fairly mild case of shingles about 10 years ago. It looked like a star constellation arching around the side of my head. Certainly not pleasant but not nearly as bad as the case my sister had.
Since I have already had shingles is there any need for me to get the vaccine?

Latest Discussions