Last Poster #7

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My eight month old pup bit me in the heel today. Two punctures that really hurt.

I love the dog, but if it happens again, she gets the dirt nap.
Bites are really really prone to infection. They are about the only wounds that routinely get prophylactic antibiotics (usually augmentin). You keep a careful eye on it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bites are really really prone to infection. They are about the only wounds that routinely get prophylactic antibiotics (usually augmentin). You keep a careful eye on it.
Yes, thanks, brother.. I immediately scrubbed it with hot, soapy water (hurt worse than the bite) then alcohol, soapy water again, alcohol again, then a shot of vodka to get the inside. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dog's don't bite for no reason, brother. Something stressed her, or she got over-excited and forgot how to bite soft (if she was playing). Either way, she can be taught.
Over excited, yes. However, that's not an excuse I'm easy with. The old expression "don't bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind. Especially this hand, or should I say heel.

The dog is very oral, loves to chew. But she's also very smart, knows what not to chew. That's what concerns me the most. If it wasn't for my wife, this pup would be history. And that breaks my heart.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2CA7FCB6-4687-4030-B892-CDAD6FC9FA5E.png

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over excited, yes. However, that's not an excuse I'm easy with. The old expression "don't bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind. Especially this hand, or should I say heel.

The dog is very oral, loves to chew. But she's also very smart, knows what not to chew. That's what concerns me the most. If it wasn't for my wife, this pup would be history. And that breaks my heart.
Staffies are very teachable. They have a lot of energy, but can be wicked smart. They can also be complete morons in a moment. She can learn to control that energy. Hoping for the best for you and the pup, both.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Staffies are very teachable. They have a lot of energy, but can be wicked smart. They can also be complete morons in a moment. She can learn to control that energy. Hoping for the best for you and the pup, both.
We used to have Pits, before anybody knew what they were. Gentlest creatures we've ever known. Then when Pits went through all the bad publicity - well deserved at the time as drug dealers, gang members and nitwits all got them because they wanted a bad ash dog - we switched to Staffies as our old dogs passed on.

But we then switched to a Staffie Bull because they're small. Didn't want to be lifting a twelve year old, seventy pound dog into the car when I'm an old man.

And thanks for the well wishes, I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
328psi of bite force. Ouch.
Says they are biters not nippers but do not have lock jaw.
Time for some training.
Hope you heal up quickly.
Thanks, man, appreciate it.

That lock jaw is a pretty much a wives tail. Yes, the way their jaw is structured allows for a harder bite, and if you play with them it certainly seems like that. My first dog's dad, Captain Crunch, would leap up to the basement rafters and chomp. His owner would tell him "stay". and he'd just hang their, breathing out of the side of his mouth. Every few minutes he'd shake the entire house. He was a 112 pound pit bull, but he was a Teddy Bear.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks, brother.. I immediately scrubbed it with hot, soapy water (hurt worse than the bite) then alcohol, soapy water again, alcohol again, then a shot of vodka to get the inside. :)
Ouch. Please don't do that. Alcohol does nothing useful for wound care and damages healthy tissues. Alcohol and peroxide are two things that people think are good for wounds, but are actually terrible. Soap and water. The vodka to get the inside is fine.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. Please don't do that. Alcohol does nothing useful for wound care and damages healthy tissues. Alcohol and peroxide are two things that people think are good for wounds, but are actually terrible. Soap and water. The vodka to get the inside is fine.
That's not what my Russian former epee coach taught me. He informed me when I injured my foot to just soak it in a bucket of vodka for three days and I'll be good to come back to practice.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
another person is retiring....guess who's getting their duties..... I have my job.... I also have the job of someone 7 pay grades (state pay grades) higher than myself, had that for years now..... but just this year due to retirements, and after I get the soon to be retired persons duties.....I will have the job of 2 people 5 pay grades higher than myself as well....... as for a raise in pay grade for myself...."We're working on it"

Harkens back to the old days of state employment when they said "do more with less"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That’s good to know, thank you.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was helping a friend clean his attic. Saw this weird looking box thingy. The heck is this mess? His dad recognized it as an eight track tape! Even let me keep it! I have no use for it as I have nothing to play it on, but hot damn! I own an ancient artifact now. From some lost forgotten civilization or something.

The thing looks like it probably still works too. It's the pointer sisters. I got a VHS player but nothing for this. Maybe one day I'll tell my kids/grand kids I found it in the Temple of Doom or something.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peroxide isn't good? This is new information for me - please educate!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Was helping a friend clean his attic. Saw this weird looking box thingy. The heck is this mess? His dad recognized it as an eight track tape! Even let me keep it! I have no use for it as I have nothing to play it on, but hot damn! I own an ancient artifact now. From some lost forgotten civilization or something.

The thing looks like it probably still works too. It's the pointer sisters. I got a VHS player but nothing for this. Maybe one day I'll tell my kids/grand kids I found it in the Temple of Doom or something.

Wish this happened a couple months ago, I found a bunch of 8 tracks in my basement and I had nothing to play them on....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Get offa my lawn.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just thinking.... SInce the beginning of the pandemic, I have been quarantined, got the Covid Vaccine, had a Covid test that came back negative, been quarantined, caught Covid, been quarantined, and had another Covid test that also came back negative.....